OCR01196 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "The Outer Space Machine"

djpretzel

• 2 weeks later...

This song has a ridiculously strong intro. I think it could've been expanded more on before you went into that segment at 1'26. Also, I can dig the "c'mon", but after the first time you used it I think it should have lost volume and gone into the background, or at least backup for something more complex and melodic.

EDIT: fixed typo

Wow...neat start. There's a real techno build here. This is something I'm already liking. Lots of different overlaying and just adding more and more and then the drop back. This sounds incredible. !!! THOSE ARE PSR 290 SOUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gosh this is called inspiration. I own a PSR 290 and didnt know I could make these kinds of sounds with it. OK bakc to the review lol. Countermelody is fitting in greatly with the regular melody and this sounds majestic after it drops out. New melody break in fits nicely wiht everything else. Break down is nice but a little to "light" for this song. End is coming and you can basically tell the closeout so you've fitted everything together nicely Rellik. Nice ending. I don't really have any thing negatove to say aboutthis song except that you went as far as you had to. You could've probavbly gone alot farther with the chaotic synth stuff though. Great piece nevertheless. I know have one more techno piece to add to my list!

PSR 290? The yamaha keyboard? No it isent even close these are called VSTs

Anyways as always your work is very good rellik. I really like the way you scliced up the come on sounds. And I love the bass synth. 1:06 was my favorite part, I would of never thought of that to be a transition. This is a great example of what FL can do.ANyways great job.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a fantastic remix. Just something about it gets me up and dancing. The beat is good, the pacing and excellent, and it's a pleasure to listen to. I admit I didn't expect the 'Come on!' the first time I listened to it, but it's the good type of surprise. The theme has me imagining some very kickass scenes of Sonic in action.

Hey, would it be alright if I made an animation for this theme sometime in the near future? It's inspired me to make a sort of Sonic vs. Mecha Sonic action sequence, and I have quite a few scenes already in my head...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I consider myself quite an expert on Genesis music and music itself. When I see good application of both I am always impressed. Rellik's 'The Outer Space Machine' was a treat to listen to. As far as remixes go this is a prime example. It is not simply a change of instrumentation but an actual reworking of the same music. The synthesizer and effects work show that Rellik has a good understanding of his tools and has a creative mind. I thouroughly enjoyed this remix.

***** (5/5)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I think that I have listened to it at least 50 times since I discovered it.(earlier today) I haven't listened to many mixes but so far this is my favorite. My favorite part is the "Come on"s. It makes me want to animate a fight too. One against that Doomsday Zone robot. I wish I had the equipment to do so.

I'm writing this one as i listen. It's got a great beginning, and the techno noises are awesome. This really converts the song into that genre well, although I'm not a big fan of repeated phrases that match the key of the song....especially "C'mon!". Great around 2:30, and I love the that techno noise, whatever you'd call it. It's starting to get repetitive so I'm just gonna stop writing :)

• 3 years later...

Way back in the day, Rellik and I were buds. He'd always send me WIPs and whatnot (I was a huge fan from his entries in old remixing competitions), and I personally congratulated him on this, his first posted OC Remix. To me, this mix represents Adam's dedication to remixing and will to succeed. I probably heard 10 versions of this song, and all he kept saying to me was "You sure those 'Come on!'s aren't too cheesy?" He was very open to suggestions, and as y'all can see, it turned out quite well. ;) While he's been more focused on original work the past few years, my ears still perk up when I hear this and his Earthbound remix.

The grittiness of the high sounds combined with the energy of the melodies seal the deal on this one. It gives you a spacey feel, almost like you're blasting off on an adventure.

Props, man.

• 11 months later...

I love all the super-meticulous automation going on in this mix. Not a huge fan of the woo-hops at 1:08, but otherwise this mix delivers. Unique synth design (as with all of Rellik's tracks), a driving arrangment and great attention to detail brings this mix to life. Not my personal favorite of Rellik's tracks, but certainly a winner nonetheless :nicework:

• 2 weeks later...

Nice start here with the filtered synths... that's the stronger part. The beat started out good as well. It felt like it was building the action with the synths, but when it hit :35 the energy level didn't reach where it needed to and it fell a bit flat. Some of the breakdown decisions are a bit weird, like cutting out the beat and energy at :50, 1:01, 1:25 right as it's starting to get started. I felt like I wanted things to really break loose full force for at least a little while, but everytime it got close, things would drop out again.

Anyway, enough griping, there's a lot of attention paid to synth modulation and filtering here, which is refreshing. Some good ideas throughout as well, which I think are just hampered with some of the arrangement direction decisions.

• 3 months later...

Some production choices I don't completely agree with, but the synths are very cool, and the percussion and arrangement ideas are both interesting and well done. This is a mix that really pays close attention to the details, and ends up a lot stronger because of it.

The "come on" section was pretty cool, and there was a lot of great variation in each of the parts.

Consider me a fan, this is a really fun track. :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01196 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "The Outer Space Machine"