OCR02052 - *YES* Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 'True Evening'

OceansAndrew

Remixer Name: Willrock

Game: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney

Remix Name: True Evening

Comments: Another day, another remix, another 9 month wait for it to be judged on ocr... :P good times.

One thing I have noticed about remixing video game music frequently is that every now and then I come across some theme from a game that I have never played before and like it, and the turnabout sisters theme from phoenix wright is one of them.

Knowing pretty much nothing about the game (all I knew was that the main protagonist was a lawyer) naming it involved me researching the series, various stories that I don't remember about cases that involved beating people round the head with clocks, and from all my hours of research I came up with the name True evening, which apparetly is the english meaning of maya's japanese name. Yes I did too much research. Anyway, I like the name think it suits the remix.

SOOOOOO.... I was listening to a lot of europe and bon jovi at the point of making this remix which comes out in the means of big synths, big drums and confirmation that I was born in the wrong era. So obviously, style wise, this remix sounds exactly the same as every other remix i've done :P

Hope you guys dig :P

Oh yeah, thanks to OA for indirectly introducing me to this theme through his remix of this track :D

source:

Cool arrangement and a good source track! :3

There are some nice backing shifts and a good song flow,as well as some good melodic alterations that still keep it grounded in the source. Nice proper ending as well.

Production is generally pretty good, but the snare seems a bit muddy around the edges, and the low mids aren't as clean as they should be in the more filled-out sections. Pretty minor stuff overall; I liked the instruments chosen, and they gelled together pretty well.

yes

Reminds me of an early 80's sitcom theme, like Silver Spoons. Very warm and floaty, dreamlike soundscape. I think you did a great job with the backing parts, very colorful. This might be my new favorite of yours, though it helps that I love the source.

However. I think you really rushed the balance on this, the leads are much louder than the rest of the track, and the low-end also feels neglected. I'm not crazy about the snare, it's flabby and doesn't have much bite to it. I know you like the washed-out 80's sound, but it could sound better. Let's call it conditional YES?

YES (conditional on balance)

EDIT (5/18 ): An improvement over the last version, low-end sounds more full. The leads are still a little loud. Could have been improved with access to the project file, but I think this still passes muster.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Some nice work on the arrangement of this. Everything is still recognizable, but has it's own flair, and it even still fits the original characters in it's own way. I liked that you used the second half of the source which isn't used on the theme in the later games.

I agree with Vinnie that the balance isn't as good as it can be. The leads are very strong, but the backing feels a little too distant. I'd like to see that get fixed before this hits the front page. I'll also echo the sentiment of the snare not having the bite that it can in this.

Hit up those couple things and you'll be good to go. YES (conditional)

5/21-The balance is improved, although as Vinnie said it would have nice if it could have been nailed down with the project file. As it stands, I think it squeaks by. YES

• 2 weeks later...

The very first thing I thought Vinnie already said: this sounds like it belongs in a sitcom about a diverse family coming together to tackle issues.

I can't say I'm crazy about it..a little saccharine for me, but it's well-composed. Just like an 80's sitcom theme.

I'm going to echo everything Palp said about the mix and say

YES (cond)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The very first thing I thought Vinnie already said: this sounds like it belongs in a sitcom about a diverse family coming together to tackle issues.

I can't say I'm crazy about it..a little saccharine for me, but it's well-composed. Just like an 80's sitcom theme.

I'm going to echo everything Palp said about the mix and say

YES (cond)

Shame the project files are gone. I guess the (cond) was not met, which makes it a NO

As soon as I heard this, I knew OA's previous ReMix was the reason this happened.

Yeah, I can see what's up with the balance issues even with this revised version. The supporting instruments sound too far off in the soundscape. Still not a fan of that snare either. I wish he'd find a different one; he basically uses the same one no matter what the situation. On drums, you're a one-trick pony. :lol: This production definitely wasn't a dealbreaker though, by any stretch, and the arrangement completely makes up for any shortcomings there.

The arrangement was strong, mostly keeping the melody intact, but spicing it up with variations on top of variations. There shouldn't be a debate here. Let's go!

YES