OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

Wow, I've never been accused of hacking before today. It wouldn't have been so momentous except the guy went on to call me a trisexual and then rage quit, which I found extremely humorous. Very interesting people on the server.

Also, kind of a noobish question, but about how often am I supposed to be playing before I get random hat drops? A lot of people seem to be getting them fairly regularly when I'm on, but I have yet to get one at all. The best I've gotten so far was two item drops in one day, but usually it's closer to every three or four days. I don't feel like idling (seems kind of cheap), but I'd like to know if I'm playing enough to make a random hat drop a possibility or if I should just not worry about it.

I found "Meet the *" to be the best basic tutorials there are, actually. Easy summary of the classes, if nothing else. (Now if only they'd get to Medic and Pyro!)

I mean, look at Paranoid. Spittin' image of Red Spy.

The funny part is that I've cosplayed as BLU Spy before.

Wow, I've never been accused of hacking before today. It wouldn't have been so momentous except the guy went on to call me a trisexual and then rage quit, which I found extremely humorous. Very interesting people on the server.

Also, kind of a noobish question, but about how often am I supposed to be playing before I get random hat drops? A lot of people seem to be getting them fairly regularly when I'm on, but I have yet to get one at all. The best I've gotten so far was two item drops in one day, but usually it's closer to every three or four days. I don't feel like idling (seems kind of cheap), but I'd like to know if I'm playing enough to make a random hat drop a possibility or if I should just not worry about it.

Trisexual = attraction towards men, women, and...animals? Vegetables? Minerals? lolwut?

Regarding hat drops, someone worked out the details a while ago, and apparently the game rolls for items once every 25 minutes or so. Normally that's just regular items, but every...4 hours, if memory serves, you have a chance to get a hat instead. I can't remember the time at which the odds of getting at least one hat reached 50%, but I think it was somewhere in the mid hundreds.

Hat percentage is pretty brutal, exact numbers are on the wiki, you have a chance every 4 hours and 17 minutes or something. The table of averages shows that around 200 hours the chances of you having at least one hat are decent, but no doubt, plenty meet this and do not have one.

See http://www.tf2wiki.net/wiki/Hats for the exact numbers.

I've only been playing since early February, 134 hours now, no hats except Camera Beard which was dropping much more often than regular hats for a while, and Gibus, which doesn't really count.

real men use w+m2

Also, learn to spam that fire. Spies can be anywhere.

*stares* ANYWHERE.

I don't know what you're talking about. I would never do something so underhanded as pretend to be someone else, then pretend to die when you suspect your friends of being Spies so I can backstab you at a ridiculous time.

well, other than the fact that I had to get off to get ready for work...I have to be there in an hour, it was fun playing with you guys tonight...I'm getting better at least...I didn't die near as much tonight as I did yesterday, and I'm starting to get used to the controls (finally)

I think the Red Rover mod might be fun to try on some arena maps at some point... maybe schedule a time on RED to do it?

The idea behind Red Rover is that a person will switch teams every time they die, with the goal to get everyone on to the same team.

Also: I may install some plugins listed on the SRCDS Hardening page over at AlliedModders wiki (they wrote SourceMod). Particularly the one they say gets rid of the Half-connected crashed client bug.

Edit: Updated our MOTDs to have them link to the new forum thread. I may make a special redirect on the OCRTF2 website just so I can update it in one location, rather than 2 links in 2 MOTD files, Sourcebans, and HLStatsX CE.

Edit 2: If you use a Mac, Valve has a beta program for its Mac software.

Edit 3: The logging plugin for HLStatsX CE was replaced with a new version by a new maintainer. I've just updated to the new version. This version should fix the in-air logging routines to not count swimming people, among other things.

I'm glad someone else finally replied. I don't feel so conspicuous creating a new post now.

Anyway, it was mentioned last week that we don't have very many customs on BLU. However, that's not exactly true.

We have lots of customs, but only 7 or so are on the nominate list.

Do we want to add a few of the ones we like to the nominate list and remove the ones we don't?

For example, ones people seem to like that are there now:

plr_scoville_c2

plr_panic_b2

Some that are on the server but not in the nominate list that people seem to like:

arena_starship_v1

cp_follower (hate this one personally, but...)

cp_pacman_plus_wtf (for its novelty value)

ctf_aerospace_b4

pl_cave_b6

pl_cranetop_b8

pl_frontier

Note: I'm not suggesting adding new maps to the server, just re-adding ones from this list back to the nominate menu.

BLU wasn't talking to the master servers, so I restarted it after updating the logging plugin.

scoville crashes the server

dont add every map to the nominate list if anything just add cave follower and maybe aqua

and how about on red you add maps like ctf bball like i suggested 10 pages ago because id actually use that

also the the rtv and votescramble requirements really should be 60%

and i still dont get why onehit didnt get banned for doing something that i got banned for (and wanst warned to not do)

I'm glad someone else finally replied. I don't feel so conspicuous creating a new post now.

Anyway, it was mentioned last week that we don't have very many customs on BLU. However, that's not exactly true.

We have lots of customs, but only 7 or so are on the nominate list.

Do we want to add a few of the ones we like to the nominate list and remove the ones we don't?

For example, ones people seem to like that are there now:

plr_scoville_c2

plr_panic_b2

Some that are on the server but not in the nominate list that people seem to like:

arena_starship_v1

cp_follower (hate this one personally, but...)

cp_pacman_plus_wtf (for its novelty value)

ctf_aerospace_b4

pl_cave_b6

pl_cranetop_b8

pl_frontier

Note: I'm not suggesting adding new maps to the server, just re-adding ones from this list back to the nominate menu.

BLU wasn't talking to the master servers, so I restarted it after updating the logging plugin.

Never played on Scoville before, Panic's fun, never played on Starship, Follower's fine in my book, PACMAN FUCK NO, Aerospace is good, no idea about Cave, Cranetop and Frontier I'd go along with.

The biggest issue with customs is that they're good in small doses, but when played en masse they get really annoying really fast. That's neither here nor there though.

EDIT: The guy who made Waste has another 5CP map out, Coldfront. Worth a try?

scoville crashes the server

dont add every map to the nominate list if anything just add cave follower and maybe aqua

and how about on red you add maps like ctf bball like i suggested 10 pages ago because id actually use that

Because not enough people want them... and ctf_bball in particular is balanced for 3v3.

also the the rtv and votescramble requirements really should be 60%

We thought the old values for rtv and votescramble were too high. As it is, only a forced !votescramble is 50%, a normal votescramble is still 70%.

Having said that, there has been discussion of moving !votescramble to admins only.

and i still dont get why onehit didnt get banned for doing something that i got banned for (and wanst warned to not do)

I thought Brushfire already talked about this.

Why don't we just add all the custom maps and leave the regular rotation set to the official maps? That way we can just vote for new maps if we want too, otherwise it just sticks to the classics.

People complained that there were too many customs in the nominate list. No, I'm serious.

People complained that there were too many customs in the nominate list. No, I'm serious.

There should be more than currently - it is really getting old playing well, steel, and then well again.

Also why did people complain? If there reason was that people wanted to play more customs than stock maps then you're dealing with a minority complaining. If the majority are tired of stock maps then it needs to be changed. Adding more to the nominate list is the easiest way to do this.

Also, Scoville has my vote.

Has there been any discussion on actually fixing votescramble, or the suggested special player list, or the class balance scramble?

Because not enough people want them... and ctf_bball in particular is balanced for 3v3.

yeah thats the point its at most a 2v2 map and itd be nice to have the option to play it when one server is full with just a couple people

a few people said they wanted to and i would imagine that being that since only one server is ever used at a time that there shouldnt be any issue with the other one reserved for smaller events

and no brushfire didnt say anything

So this means that all those maps are actually on the server? Awesome, I will be putting up some nominations then during the late night period. I particularly want to try out aerospace because it has such nice design.

The biggest issue with customs is that they're good in small doses, but when played en masse they get really annoying really fast. That's neither here nor there though.

EDIT: The guy who made Waste has another 5CP map out, Coldfront. Worth a try?

He speaks the truth about customs. They should be used as a garnish, not a meal. I'd be willing to try out Coldfront, but then again, I usually love most 5 CP maps.

Having said that, there has been discussion of moving !votescramble to admins only.

There could be good and bad consequences to this. The good part would be that a scramble would not be activated when one team loses a match quickly during an attack/defend map such as Goldrush or Gravelpit. The bad part would be that there is no way for the regulars or randoms to fix stacked and unbalanced teams once the admins go to bed. This problem would likely show up during the late hours, around 1 AM to 4 AM depending on time zone.

If scramble is removed I suppose we could also just talk out balancing teams and do a spectator switch. The server is Alltalk and I am usually willing to jump teams for the sake of a good game.

There could be good and bad consequences to this. The good part would be that a scramble would not be activated when one team loses a match quickly during an attack/defend map such as Goldrush or Gravelpit. The bad part would be that there is no way for the regulars or randoms to fix stacked and unbalanced teams once the admins go to bed. This problem would likely show up during the late hours, around 1 AM to 4 AM depending on time zone.

If scramble is removed I suppose we could also just talk out balancing teams and do a spectator switch. The server is Alltalk and I am usually willing to jump teams for the sake of a good game.

Clearly, the solution is to add an Australian admin.

(Do we even have any Australian regulars?)