OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

This.

Pyro seriously didn't need a burn nerf though, come on.

Yeah, I'm not sure what they were thinking. I guess they thought Pyro needed a burn nerf if airblast was getting a buff, but it really didn't need the damage nerf. I could maybe see the after burn rate reduction, but you'd have a much harder time burning the heavier classes to death doing 20% less damage.

And I just started to enjoy playing pyro again. Guess that's the end of that for a while.

There is no other FPS where setting players on fire is such a pervasive part of the game. That is why people whine about Pyros, and that is why Valve nerfs them.

its not because they can set people on fire

its because the class has incredibly low skill plateau and the vast majority of people play it in such a way that shows that they really have no interest in actually going about their actions intelligently since they dont have to

playing pyro with the shotgun as primary and airblast as secondary was viable before and is even more viable now, so the people that played the class intelligently actually got rewarded, whereas the ones that dont didnt

thats fair

its because the class has incredibly slow skill plateau and the vast majority of people play it in such a way that shows that they really have no interest in actually going about their actions intelligently since they dont have to

playing pyro with the shotgun as primary and airblast as secondary was viable before and is even more viable now, so the people that played the class intelligently actually got rewarded, whereas the ones that dont didnt

thats fair

Yeah, that's pretty much how I play Pyro when I'm doing it seriously, although the Axstinguisher is an important part of the equation if you want to do any good ambushing on the semiheavy classes.

All reflected projectiles minicritting sounds amazing. Pyro has always suffered because reflecting projectiles could never be as versatile as simply playing the class that shoots them. It's still that way but reflecting just became way more viable.

I am so sorry about the Backburner, Brush. I mean, it sucked a lot before but you pulled through regardless. Now it's even more of a joke. Seriously, the very idea of nerfing the Backburner blows my mind. I expect they are planning on reworking it in the near future, or something. I also heard rumours of a ninja update that slightly increased the angle for backcrits, not that it would help much and is probably just a rumor.

its because the class has incredibly slow skill plateau and the vast majority of people play it in such a way that shows that they really have no interest in actually going about their actions intelligently since they dont have to

thats fair

Time for me to play Devil's Advocate, I guess.

Currently the flamethrower does ~120 DPS if all particles hit. This is less than the syringe gun/Blutsauger, which do ~150 DPS at flamethrower range if memory serves. Medics are stronger than Pyros now. If you want to keep it in the same class, the shotgun's in a similar boat. I can't support any change that makes a primary weaker than the secondary.

Random aside: It might have been interesting if the DPS nerf only applied to the vanilla flamethrower, creating a distinction between the defensive and offensive primaries.

I dunno about you, but the first time I read that, I saw the 'jiggle' from that line, and the 'physics' from the line above it. Scared me to death, I didn't want to know what they would add it to.

Lol... a gun with "naughty bits."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/57-Painkiller

Also, as to using the Pyro maining shotgun with airblast as second... could you set up a simple console script that would, when right clicking with the shotgun equipped, switch to flamethrower, airblast, then switch back to shotgun? Seems reasonable with what I know about the console scripting.

Also, as to using the Pyro maining shotgun with airblast as second... could you set up a simple console script that would, when right clicking with the shotgun equipped, switch to flamethrower, airblast, then switch back to shotgun? Seems reasonable with what I know about the console scripting.

Or you could just do it without scripts. :|

1. Press "1"

2. Press "Mouse 2"

3. Press "2"

4. ????

5. Profit

Time for me to play Devil's Advocate, I guess.

Currently the flamethrower does ~120 DPS if all particles hit. This is less than the syringe gun/Blutsauger, which do ~150 DPS at flamethrower range if memory serves. Medics are stronger than Pyros now. If you want to keep it in the same class, the shotgun's in a similar boat. I can't support any change that makes a primary weaker than the secondary.

Random aside: It might have been interesting if the DPS nerf only applied to the vanilla flamethrower, creating a distinction between the defensive and offensive primaries.

Think now though, how much harder it is to correctly aim the medics syringe stream than it is to set someone on fire with a huge stream of flames.

alias airblast "slot 1; attack2; lastinv"

bind mouse2 airblast

(This assumes I didn't mess up the syntax.)

Think now though, how much harder it is to correctly aim the medics syringe stream than it is to set someone on fire with a huge stream of flames.

Not terribly hard, actually. It's only an issue at range where you need to compensate for travel time and arc. And I've had more than a few run-ins with shoddy flame detection too, so it goes both ways.

I always found that the flamethrower was harder to aim than syringes. This is because the syringes have a range advantage, and a tight cone of fire. The flamethrower has a large margin for error with a low margin for maximum damage. This means that even though you may hit the enemy with fire they will not take a large amount of damage due to the plume nature of the fire. Combine this with the fact that the flamethrower needs to be compensated because it is a projectile and it becomes more difficult to aim, especially in close quarters where movement is much quicker.

I find it hard to believe that they would make what is arguably the weakest class weaker. Afterburn now does 36 damage meaning that burning to death will become much rarer.

The new heavy is quite fun. That extra quarter of a second is helpful when spinning up and down.

On account of having a massive project that is due on Wednesday next week and makes up more or less our entire grade for the semester, I will not be on the server much if at all starting Friday. And ending Wednesday, obviously enough.

This excludes the possibility that I may be able to squeeze in an hour or two at midnight-ish between wrapping up my work for the day and going to bed, but you get the gist.

On account of having a massive project that is due on Wednesday next week and makes up more or less our entire grade for the semester, I will not be on the server much if at all starting Friday. And ending Wednesday, obviously enough.

This excludes the possibility that I may be able to squeeze in an hour or two at midnight-ish between wrapping up my work for the day and going to bed, but you get the gist.

Aww. I miss lighting you on fire. Boo.

Good luck with the project. :)

alias airblast "slot 1; attack2; lastinv"

bind mouse2 airblast

(This assumes I didn't mess up the syntax.)

I must try this! (I think it's +attack2, not sure)

If I plug this in my pyro.cfg, will I have to rebind mouse2 to attack2 when I change classes?

Yes, it won't reset on its own.

Joy, time to tinker with my class.cfgs

Also, I figured a better shotgun airblast script:

alias +airblast "slot1; +attack2"
alias -airblast "-attack2; lastinv"
bind mouse2 +airblast

This way you can keep holding down M2 to airblast as long as you want. I have an odd feeling this needs some fine tuning though, like a wait delay to compensate for weapon switch cooldown.

I am so sorry about the Backburner, Brush. I mean, it sucked a lot before but you pulled through regardless. Now it's even more of a joke. Seriously, the very idea of nerfing the Backburner blows my mind. I expect they are planning on reworking it in the near future, or something. I also heard rumours of a ninja update that slightly increased the angle for backcrits, not that it would help much and is probably just a rumor.

i figured they would have left it doing the same amount of damage as before with the regular flamethrower having the damage reduction but hahahaha oh well