OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

First screenshots of native Steam Linux client. (May 1)

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODIwNQ

This means that TF2, Portal, HL2, and the like are on their way! This is just one more push to get me to abandon Windows as my primary OS. I know some of my Mac user friends are having a Windows UNinstall party when the OSX Steam client comes out as they were only using Windows for TF2. :)

First screenshots of native Steam Linux client. (May 1)

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODIwNQ

This means that TF2, Portal, HL2, and the like are on their way! This is just one more push to get me to abandon Windows as my primary OS. I know some of my Mac user friends are having a Windows UNinstall party when the OSX Steam client comes out as they were only using Windows for TF2. :)

Not to rain on your parade, but the screenshots in those images show a non-working client, including a "login window" that looks nothing like the Steam login window (which uses Webkit these days, so it should be identical across platforms... Mac Beta users could confirm this).

Having said that, the url in one of the screenshots does exist. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything, because steam already has a command line version on Linux because of its dedicated server.

P.S. This project is extremely boring, which is why I take any excuse to do something else, like answer forum posts.

Hey, cool! That works, too. The wikipedia synopsis sounded ok. Unfortunately, I have never seen that show. How many characters / soundboards would you have available?

There is Coop, Kiva, Jamie, Goat, The Ultra Cadets, The S-Force and the Cool Kid on the Good Guys side.

The villians are Magnanimous (voiced by Bruce Campbell), The R.E.G.I.S. Mark V, The Glorft Commander, His Lackey, and a couple of others.

There are enough to fill at least 12 slots.

Go download the show, it is the best cartoon post 2000.

anyways heres a whitelist that actually accomplishes what a whitelist is supposed to accomplish

the only thing is that its too long and valve promised to fix that crashing servers but they never did, so try deleting the buildables section and putting it on a test server and changing map

if the server crashes its obviously still broken but if it successfully changes maps and sv_pure sets to 1 then its a-ok and you should use it

http://pastebin.com/Re0nAzLc

anyways heres a whitelist that actually accomplishes what a whitelist is supposed to accomplish

the only thing is that its too long and valve promised to fix that crashing servers but they never did, so try deleting the buildables section and putting it on a test server and changing map

if the server crashes its obviously still broken but if it successfully changes maps and sv_pure sets to 1 then its a-ok and you should use it

http://pastebin.com/Re0nAzLc

While this is stronger on player models, it's weaker on sounds and HUD elements than the standard whitelist, which blocks changes to the sounds and materials (except the materials/players subdirectory) directories completely .

what else would you possible wanna block

it specifically ensures that the exact ones that people use to cheat are blocked and that nothing else is so that those people that use those wacky (i have no idea why youd use these) BEES or RAINBOW FIRE or WHATEVER sounds are allowed to use them as they give no advantage at all

it also allows custom huds (on of which ive made and i know people use) which pose no problem to anything as the only real cheating huds are sniper huds

if people wanna do CRAZY huds they can do it in the resource folder and sv_pure cant block that at all

what else would you possible wanna block

it specifically ensures that the exact ones that people use to cheat are blocked and that nothing else is so that those people that use those wacky (i have no idea why youd use these) BEES or RAINBOW FIRE or WHATEVER sounds are allowed to use them as they give no advantage at all

it also allows custom huds (on of which ive made and i know people use) which pose no problem to anything as the only real cheating huds are sniper huds

if people wanna do CRAZY huds they can do it in the resource folder and sv_pure cant block that at all

Your whitelist also allows people to change the textures of walls, etc... i.e. to make them transparent.

You seriously don't see that as a problem?

no because first off if people are going to go that route theyre going to use the sourcemod exploit to turn wireframe mode on and be able to see everything and second off if you go to the most common public places for tf2 cheats absolutely everything they they host i block

incidentally they also host the generic bypasser which is still not detectable by VAC as long as they do it right and if they use that they can go ahead and make any server sv_pure 0 on their side

but yeah if someones going to go that length so as to change every wall texture so they can see through it (which becomes incredibly difficult to play on because youd have to scale each individual one to know where the wall actually begins so you know where the heck you are) then chances are theyre going to have no problem loading up the generic bypasser to be able to use it no matter what

but yeah no one does that

edit and wall textures arent in the hud or sound folder if you wanna block those you can go ahead and do that too theyre in a completely different place so i dont explicitly allow them

edit and wall textures arent in the hud or sound folder if you wanna block those you can go ahead and do that too theyre in a completely different place so i dont explicitly allow them

Yes, I'm ignoring the rest of your post for now and dealing with this specifically.

If you don't allow them specifically, they're still allowed. Despite its named, pure_whitelist.txt is actually a blacklist. Anything not mentioned in it is implied to be allow_from_disk.

Can Toomz have a reserve slot? He plays on the server often enough and his janky internet gives his client a tendency to crash when the map changes. He's been unable to reconnect quite a few times due to server fullness.

thanks in advance

Just giving an early heads-up that my TF2 presence will likely be seriously limited for June and July. I'm going to be between apartments, so my desktop's gonna be in storage and my laptop is far, far too crappy to even consider running TF2. I mean, Dungeon Siege gives it trouble.

Can Toomz have a reserve slot? He plays on the server often enough and his janky internet gives his client a tendency to crash when the map changes. He's been unable to reconnect quite a few times due to server fullness.

thanks in advance

His name appeared on the Admins' Reserved Slot request thread, but it still needs one more admin to approve it... it kind of got buried and ignored. I'm trying to bug some of the other admins now.

Edit: Since both Brushfire and Darkesword have Toomz on their friends list, one of them could approve him... HINT, HINT.

I've noticed that we occasionally get lag spikes, but generally I don't see any more lag than usual*.

I could set up an alternative server, which was OK for TF2 IDLE, but given its poor performance on L4D2, I wouldn't count on it being any better. Probably because BOINC is running there, and using up any "free" cycles it can on all 4 cores.

*Keeping in mind that, since about 6-9 months ago, my ISP rerouted and my ping went from 30-70 normal to 120-200 normal on the same server.

Much appreciated, but you don't have to go to that trouble. Also, sorry to hear about your ISP woes :(

There is Coop, Kiva, Jamie, Goat, The Ultra Cadets, The S-Force and the Cool Kid on the Good Guys side.

The villians are Magnanimous (voiced by Bruce Campbell), The R.E.G.I.S. Mark V, The Glorft Commander, His Lackey, and a couple of others.

There are enough to fill at least 12 slots.

Go download the show, it is the best cartoon post 2000.

Per your recommendation I did go, uh, get a copy of Megas XLR. (I forget, is the 'T' word not allowed here? Some forums are very strict about it.)

It has the very clear "heavily influenced by anime" look while still retaining the blatant "animated in the USA" feel. It has a very childish sense of humor and allure and uses blatant plot holes for effective comedic purposes (eg the technicalities of "technology", the "how'd he do that" moment, the "that wasn't there a second ago" trick, and the "that doesn't seem physically possible" technique). The characters seem likable and the plot, while generic and fairly thin, should prove enough of a background for the two seasons it ran. There also seem to be a good number of quotable lines good for mikespam.

That all from the first episode! Thanks Burshfire! Finals at my school are this week so now I'll have something to look forward to after mine are all done!

It looks like trading is still in the works. It also looks like it won't get finished until they have finished there work with the new Steam UI.

http://redvsblu.net/2010/05/04/trading-still-coming-developed-by-slower-poorer-and-irish-steam-dev-team.php

Hey, that would be nice! I would so much rather trade a hat with someone for one I want than craft two (or three) and pray that I get a decent one. One crafted hat takes a ridiculous number of items (I think the minimum is like 3 * 3 * 3 * 3 = 81 weapons!)

Hey, that would be nice! I would so much rather trade a hat with someone for one I want than craft two (or three) and pray that I get a decent one. One crafted hat takes a ridiculous number of items (I think the minimum is like 3 * 3 * 3 * 3 = 81 weapons!)

Yup, 81 weapons or 2 hats.

Edit: I noticed another server was running cp_coldfront_rc2. We're running rc1. So, I have updated cp_coldfront to rc2 in our rotation. If you don't have it and don't want to wait to download it in game, you can find it here.

Chives is right, Powerlord.

If you're doing this, make it cp_coldfront_rc2. The particles are flagged as weather now, so they can be disabled in options.

EDIT: Download link if you need it.

Also, following my second ever allnighter, I have one more day left to work on my project, then I'll be free. Still have the rest of my finals, but those won't eat up nearly as much time to study for.

I may or may not be online tonight depending on how tired I am, but I'll be back soon. Promise.

*watches as everyone switches to Pyro*

Chives is right, Powerlord.

I must have just missed it then. Whoops. Oh well, better late than never.

(I suppose it doesn't help that both of the other admins with server access are laying off of admining right now)

Also, following my second ever allnighter, I have one more day left to work on my project, then I'll be free. Still have the rest of my finals, but those won't eat up nearly as much time to study for.

I may or may not be online tonight depending on how tired I am, but I'll be back soon. Promise.

Mmm, I was actually on last night, despite that I had a project I was working on. Big mistake, I ended up working half the night on it and still not finishing... as it is, I got a 0 on the presentation part of it... good thing that's only about 9% of the project grade.

Speaking of which, I won't be around tonight unless I somehow magically finish my project sometime in the next hour or two.

Phew... just got through a Cryptography exam. By the way, it don't help when you're taking a multiple-choice and NONE of the answers are correct. :-/ At least the teacher recognized them as wrong. Looks like I'll be on for a bit while I push off finishing my Pohlig-Hellman discrete log program. :)