OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

:snip:

Re: Micspams, I don't really have a problem with it as long as it's either a) short or B) relatively quiet.

Speaking of volume, I noticed that after a certain update a few weeks back the micspam/music that was normally at a fine level was super loud. Anybody know if you can (on the fly) change the volume of the stuff you're transmitting? The only results I found looking that up on Google involved using Goldwave before hand. Being able to dynamically change volume on request would be nice.

heh i know how to do this but id rather not encourage people to play even more music

If you're cryptically referring to the "adjust microphone volume" setting in the Audio tab of the options menu, I've found that every time I change that (always to set it lower) I'll come back a few seconds later and it's BAM all the way up to the max setting again. I did some snooping around in my Windows microphone settings windows and did find a "level" adjuster slider. I'll try that next time I'm on TF2. Unfortunately, this would mean that ALL audio levels through the mic (including meaningful chat) will have reduced volume. Oh, well...

EDIT: While looking for volume control, I also found an alternative media player called "MuhSound" at https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=81137 I'll have to try it out own my own some time.

So rather than assisting someone else in their problem, you're instead going to act like you're five and lord your supposed superiority over their head?

Classy.

Hey man, tone it down. This kind of crap is way out of line, and it's not needed here. He volunteered that he knew something, but isn't explaining it for a perfectly valid reason. It's not like someone asked atmuh specifically how to do it and he's taunting it in their face, alright?

heh i know how to do this but id rather not encourage people to play even more music

Ok, I'm just trying to grok the situation here... Atmuh, do you not like *any* music or are you just objecting to the specific type of music that is played? If it's the specific type, could you offer any suggestions of music that you would like played?

Whenever I play music (usually Benny Hill's "Yackity sax" in the pre-game mayhem) it's intended to be more of a server service and not as an annoyance. I feel that, when used appropriately (eg correct volume levels and tasteful music choices), music can add a lot to the atmosphere of a server and give it a unique feel that can draw and keep people.

On the flip side, I agree that playing "the most annoying sound ever" loop or music that is way too high can alienate many people or make it difficult to play. However, I'm happy with the "if someone asks, turn it off" rule (which was my personal policy anyway) and you *are* well within your rights to ask.

In other news: would anyone be interested in a server karaoke night some time?

Ok, I'm just trying to grok the situation here... Atmuh, do you not like *any* music or are you just objecting to the specific type of music that is played?

on a server where people are talking its annoying to have someone come out of nowhere with any kind of music but yes i especially dont like the kinda music people on the ocr server play

Whenever I play music (usually Benny Hill's "Yackity sax" in the pre-game mayhem)

epic win!!!!

music can add a lot to the atmosphere of a server and give it a unique feel that can draw and keep people

just play on a micspam server

(which was my personal policy anyway)

except when i asked all you did was complain about me asking

edit oh nevermind that wasnt you that was gamemaster sorry

In other news: would anyone be interested in a server karaoke night some time?

no

1 second voice lag makes it impossible anyways

on a server where people are talking its annoying to have someone come out of nowhere with any kind of music but yes i especially dont like the kinda music people on the ocr server play

Ok, ok... fair enough... I can see the obvious "not working" of pumping Dragonforce but what about the times when Brushfire or others play lounge music or background vibes that can easily be talked over?

EDIT: One of the reasons I asked for dynamic volume changing was for situations such as this... to give comfortable volume levels for background music.

EDIT EDIT: Atmuh, you still haven't offered any positive input as to what music you do think would be appropriate. Are you evading the question or can you not think of anything at the moment or do you not think any music is appropriate ever?

no

1 second voice lag makes it impossible anyways

From what I've seen that makes it all the more hilarious! :P

From what I've seen that makes it all the more hilarious! :P

actually it makes it infinitely more irritating

or maybe that's just because all the people I hear who try to sing over music also have loud mics and obnoxious, terrible voices

No. Let's all be logical about how terrible this idea is.

Yes, actually I do agree that it is a terrible idea. The suggestion was 99% in jest. This video is actually what I had in mind when I said that. Did you see the other ones where they did "My Heart Will Go On"

or "Hollaback Girl"
(both equally horrible)?

I actually don't play music, as I listen to the environment around me.

So does this guy.

It's how he gets all those Spy kills we complain about... he actually turns around when he hear footsteps behind him.

Frogg is just paranoid (and in a good way). I've tried listening to the atmosphere as well but it never works all that great. How he does so well, I'm not sure. I'll have to record a game some time and watch the replay from his perspective to see if I can pick up any tips.

Frogg is just paranoid (and in a good way). I've tried listening to the atmosphere as well but it never works all that great. How he does so well, I'm not sure. I'll have to record a game some time and watch the replay from his perspective to see if I can pick up any tips.

Yes, he is paranoid.

However, you can hear both footsteps and other sounds if you listen. Even the normal Spy decloak can be heard from some distance (let alone the Dead Ringer which is even louder).

Also, Orange Box is currently on sale on Steam for $20.99 starting today, to celebrate Half-Life 2's (all 3 games) release on the Mac. In addition, HL2 is $6.99, and Ep1/Ep2 are $5.59 each. All 3 together are $18.17, only $2.82 cheaper than Orange Box. HL2 and Ep1 have new achievements, too!

Yes, he is paranoid.

Also, Orange Box is currently on sale on Steam for $20.99 starting today, to celebrate Half-Life 2's (all 3 games) release on the Mac. In addition, HL2 is $6.99, and Ep1/Ep2 are $5.59 each. All 3 together are $18.17, only $2.82 cheaper than Orange Box. HL2 and Ep1 have new achievements, too!

Sweeeet! My cousin has been hanging back on getting the Orange Box since he a Mac. Hopefully he'll get it now. >:3