OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

Sweet, what new features would that entail for players?

The short version:

It adds support for new actions, weapons, awards, and ribbons. Additionally, the Team Kill penalty default has been changed to 0 (although I think we already set it to 0).

The long version:

+ GameSupport: Added many new TF actions from SuperLogs:TF2 2.x (#1090, #1159) (Packhead)

+ GameSupport: Added 4 new TF weapons from recent TF2 updates (#1108, #1162) (Packhead)

+ GameSupport: Added many new TF weapon/award/ribbon images (psychonic, HeK, FernFerret)

+ GameSupport: Added 2 new L4D2 weapons from The Passing update (#1130) (Packhead)

+ GameSupport: Added new CSS (OB) actions provided by new SuperLogs:CSS (#1168) (Packhead)

? Daemon: Removed some old debug messages that could confuse users (psychonic)

? Web: Put 'beta' notice on perl backend control page as it is not meant to work on all installs yet (psychonic)

? SMPlugin: Removed chat notification when adding to sv_tags (psychonic)

? GameSupport: Change TF default TKPenalty to 0 (#1170) (psychonic)

! Daemon: Fixed possible crash when inserting livestats data (#1063) (psychonic)

! Daemon: Fixed 'EnablePublicCommands' option not being respected on some commands when disabled (#1116) (psychonic)

! Daemon: Fixed IP addresses not being saved for players when tracking in LAN mode (#1142) (psychonic)

! Daemon: Fixed issue causing bots (including l4d infected) to not be recognized in LAN mode (#1166) (psychonic)

! Web: Fixed loading error on player chat history page due to short tags (psychonic)

! Web: Fixed broken formatting on player chat history page (#1076) (psychonic)

! Web: Added missing padding on game page between servers and awards (psychonic)

! Web: Fixed incorrect page count on chat page (psychonic)

! Web: Fixed occurence where options.php could have a blank POST, clearing all options (#1143) (psychonic)

! Web: Fixed multibyte characters not displaying properly in some admin area fields (#1155) (psychonic)

! SMPlugin: Fixed non-default cvar values being ignored after reload (#1073) (psychonic)

! SMPlugin: Fixed sv_tags addition happening multiple times on reload (psychonic)

! GameSupport: Fixed many small issues with NeoTokyo support (#1161, #1173) (SolidSnake916, psychonic)

! GameSupport: AOC no longer defaults to attempting to use ShowMenu for 'OSD' commands (psychonic)

! GameSupport: BG2 now defaults to using ShowMenu for 'OSD' commands (psychonic)

! GameSupport: Added workaround for broken chat in FF 2.4.1 (#1099) (psychonic)

! GameSupport: Removed old NeoTokyo weapon codes and changed m41l to m41s (#1161) (psychonic)

Also, Orange Box is currently on sale on Steam for $20.99 starting today, to celebrate Half-Life 2's (all 3 games) release on the Mac. In addition, HL2 is $6.99, and Ep1/Ep2 are $5.59 each. All 3 together are $18.17, only $2.82 cheaper than Orange Box. HL2 and Ep1 have new achievements, too!

Sounds like someone's spending $21 for someone.

Yes, he is paranoid.

However, you can hear both footsteps and other sounds if you listen. Even the normal Spy decloak can be heard from some distance (let alone the Dead Ringer which is even louder).

Only at point blank. At range, the sound falloff makes it nearly impossible to hear over the usual battle noises. The unique sound is its downfall more than anything.

Regarding Frogg, I once managed to backstab him when I poked my head out from behind one of those shacks in Doublecross, hid again, then just walked right back out. He was too busy looking at the other side to notice me.

ParanoidDrone: Living vicariously through tales of yore since...about a week ago, actually.

(EDIT: Nominating Hollaback Girl for official OCR TF2 theme song? *flees*)

I listen to my enviroment alot too and I tend to go spy the moment someone starts micspamming due to the deadringer being much harder to hear. :)

Brushfire being on the server allows me usually to decloak with the deadringer right on someone's head without them noticing it's rather amazing.

Amazing Youtube video here: "TF2 Guns Orchestra"

I listen to my enviroment alot too and I tend to go spy the moment someone starts micspamming due to the deadringer being much harder to hear. :)

Brushfire being on the server allows me usually to decloak with the deadringer right on someone's head without them noticing it's rather amazing.

Ha... that's usually when I feel the music is way too loud. With gentle background music, you can usually still here environmental/spy noises.

Only at point blank. At range, the sound falloff makes it nearly impossible to hear over the usual battle noises. The unique sound is its downfall more than anything.

It may just be my volume levels, but I think that the range is much larger than that, somewhere around 15 feet. I know I can hear decloaks through at least one wall as well. Then again, I have focused on sound ever since I played Thief.

@Paranoid

If you haven't taken in your laptop yet I have some more ideas to bounce off you.

Speaking of which, any luck in pinpointing the precarious problem in your perturbed PC?

The puzzling predicament of my poorly performing laptop was pinpointed to a perturbing problem in the graphics card. I promptly placed it in the care of people whose professional knowledge outperforms my personal experience, and expect it back perhaps by Thursday.

It may just be my volume levels, but I think that the range is much larger than that, somewhere around 15 feet. I know I can hear decloaks through at least one wall as well. Then again, I have focused on sound ever since I played Thief.

@Paranoid

If you haven't taken in your laptop yet I have some more ideas to bounce off you.

Take a look at

The falloff is surprisingly sharp now. I don't think walls ever affected sound, though.

Also see above regarding my laptop.

In other news, it has come to my attention that the global backstab award has been usurped from me. Let it be known that, as soon as I return to playing the game, I shall strike with a vengeance. And possibly fire, depending on just how vengeful I am feeling at the time.

CHILI!

In other news, it has come to my attention that the global backstab award has been usurped from me. Let it be known that, as soon as I return to playing the game, I shall strike with a vengeance. And possibly fire, depending on just how vengeful I am feeling at the time.

CHILI!

Well, if I keep up my current trend, it won't be long before it passes from Chili's hands into mine. I've gotten the daily award for it a few times in the past week, and globals appear to be solely based on the number of times you win the dailies. Incidentally, I've noticed I've been doing better with the Cloak and Dagger lately than the Dead Ringer, although I still switch back and forth.

Edit: Whoops, I'm confusing my awards. I've been getting the Sapper awards a lot this week.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm going to predict that Valve starts the Engineer update news either tonight or a week from today. There are four reasons for this:

1. Usually it's around 7 days out.

2. Valve's been releasing major game updates on Wednesdays to correspond with new Mac releases.

3. All the Valve games updated for Mac release so far have been Orange Box games.

4. Team Fortress 2's name on the Steam store is now "Team Fortress 2 (Mac coming soon)."

As far as I can tell, daily awards help you get the bronze/silver/gold ribbons. Win a daily award once for bronze, 5 times for silver, 10 for gold. Global awards are just who has the most kills with the weapon/instances of the action at any given time.

Syncing the Engineer update with TF2's Mac release makes total sense btw.

CHILI!

Never, Paranoid! Your name is oddly appropriate, as you must now forevermore fear MY vengeance, for I am now... the Backstab God.

Kneel, peons, and pray for a quick death and not a slow, agonizing poking! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

</Megalomania>

Never, Paranoid! Your name is oddly appropriate, as you must now forevermore fear MY vengeance, for I am now... the Backstab God.

Kneel, peons, and pray for a quick death and not a slow, agonizing poking! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

</Megalomania>

You both shall pray for mercy from Lil' Poof Bastard and how his fire solves all! :smile:

</Megalomania>

More like the Facestab God.

Also:

Required updates for Team Fortress 2, Day of Defeat: Source and Counter-Strike: Source Beta are now available. Please run hldsupdatetool to receive the update. The specific changes include:

GameUI

- Fixed the desktop resolution not appearing in the list of valid resolutions when using windowed-mode.

Server Browser

- Fixed a crash caused by leaving the server browser open while playing.

Engine

- Added client/server version check on client connect.

- Fixed a crash caused by hitting ctrl-alt-del while playing.

Counter-Strike: Source Beta

- Added sv_disablefreezecam cvar to turn off the freezecam on a server.

- Added sv_nonemesis cvar to turn off domination/revenge on a server.

- Added sv_nomvp cvar to turn off MVP stars on a server.

- Added sv_nostats cvar to turn off stats on a server.

- Added avatar images to the scoreboards.

- Added stats report to scoreboard to show whether a server has stats enabled or not.

- Fixed achievement tab so it now updates at the time you earn an achievement.

- Fixed bug causing achievements to be listed as earned in July 2009.

- Fixed issue where you couldn't chat during intermission.

- Fixed player stutter while moving in water.

- Fixed player stutter when running into other players.

- Fixed issue that caused footsteps to play when walking.

- Fixed miscellaneous consistency, spelling and grammatical errors in the string tables.

- Fixed grenade velocity problems.

- Updated a few audio effects.

- Updated scoreboard

- Changed layout to make it more readable.

- Changed scoreboard opacity to make the action behind it more readable.

- Supports Unicode and lowercase letters.

- Grayed out the names of dead players.

Team Fortress 2

- Added community submitted deathnotice icons for the community submitted weapons.

- Changed the deathnotice text color to use black instead of white when the local player is involved.

- Fixed domination/revenge messages not using team colors for the player names.

- Fixed an issue where sequences with an activity weight of 0 never get selected.

- Updated Koth_Nucleus:

-- Changed side spawn exits to prevent sniping from inside the spawn door.

-- Fixed graphical glitch on platform floor.

-- Fixed blue-colored models in RED area.

- Updated Tc_Hydro:

-- Added respawn time advantages when a team begins to cap any point.

--- Resets when the cap progress resets.

-- Fixed various nobuild and playerclip issues reported by the community.

-- Removed logic that reduced spawn times based on roundtime.

Team Fortress 2

- Added community submitted deathnotice icons for the community submitted weapons.

- Changed the deathnotice text color to use black instead of white when the local player is involved.

- Fixed domination/revenge messages not using team colors for the player names.

- Fixed an issue where sequences with an activity weight of 0 never get selected.

- Updated Koth_Nucleus:

-- Changed side spawn exits to prevent sniping from inside the spawn door.

-- Fixed graphical glitch on platform floor.

-- Fixed blue-colored models in RED area.

- Updated Tc_Hydro:

-- Added respawn time advantages when a team begins to cap any point.

--- Resets when the cap progress resets.

-- Fixed various nobuild and playerclip issues reported by the community.

-- Removed logic that reduced spawn times based on roundtime.

They FINALLY updated Hydro! After nearly 3 years, to boot.

Pity it's now of all times...

*marks Pipeline and Hydro on his to-play list*

They FINALLY updated Hydro! After nearly 3 years, to boot.

Pity it's now of all times...

*marks Pipeline and Hydro on his to-play list*

3 years and they still don't have decent mirrors for the dedicated server updaters.

In other news, servers aren't updated yet.

And by that, I mean they haven't even started updating yet.

You know, with the Engie update coming, you think Valve will finally throw down some love for the 360 version? I remember people saying they'll update the 360 version when all the updates come out or something...

So I tried turning on the "ting!" sound on hit as I've seem many very good players on youtube that have it on. However, when playing pyro, each flame hit triggers the sound (which stack, audibly) and it ends up very annoyingly loud. Any work around for this or should I just turn it off when I play pyro?

So I tried turning on the "ting!" sound on hit as I've seem many very good players on youtube that have it on. However, when playing pyro, each flame hit triggers the sound (which stack, audibly) and it ends up very annoyingly loud. Any work around for this or should I just turn it off when I play pyro?

Just turn it off for playing Pyro.

Or don't play pyro.

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Team Fortress 2

Fixed the community submitted deathnotice icons for the community submitted weapons

--

This shouldn't require a server restart, though. I'll update it anyway once I finish updating the L4D2 server.

Edit: I just ran it on my backup server and it reported no changed files.

Edit 2: Server updated, but I'm not going to restart it unless there are issues.