OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

I'm not sure what your specs are but I have found that setting the Dx level to 8.1 helps a ton.

To set dx level open Steam.

Right Click on TF2

Click on Properties

Under the General Tab click on Set Launch Options

In the box enter "dxlevel 81" without quotes

Exit this menu

Start TF2

Exit TF2

Now go back to Set Launch Options

Remove "dxlevel 81" (This stops the game from resetting your visual settings everytime your start the game)

Your game will now run dx 8.1 shaders instead of the standard 9.5. This option removes some phong shaders and makes the game look less shiny but you will see an increase in FPS.

Check your specs to make sure that your PC can run TF2 in the first place.

If that isn't enough, use N64-o-Vision! http://www.m0re.nocrits.com/index.php?site=files&cat=1

Packs that I used (does not include absolutely every single one of them, .mp3s not included, individual avatars not included either):

Thanks! Did you have problems with the mp3 to wav converter just not liking some of the files, too? I found that if you use something like GoldWave to add a second of silence to the end of the clip, the converter will work fine. (Goldwave complains about not having a codec but it will work anyway.) Try doing that!

Hey, one more thing about Starfox night yesterday... we had some, er, disreputable individuals on last night (not part of OCR) who decided it would be in their best interest to make a commotion by loudly voicing their dislike for our shenanigans, bringing into question the sexual orientation of people playing voiceclips (myself included), and attempting to misinterpret voiceclips as vulgarly as they could.

However, in all their moaning and groaning, one valid point was made. The server was not marked as micspam central and I can only assume that several people were unpleasantly annoyed. If and when this event happens again, is there a way we could change the server name or the MOTD for the duration of the event? I believe this would be helpful in rectifying most of these problems.

-Krowbar

or maybe we could just get an admin to kick irritating assholes

I banned subcell, the only person I saw saying stuff like that, but only after giving him more leeway than I should have.

Speaking of which, this exposed an interesting bug in Sourcebans... it says I banned him from BLU despite me banning him from RED.

Oh, okay, I thought it was directed at me. Aaanyways... so, any predictions on when the Engineer update will come out? Or Steam for Linux, for that matter?

According to Valve, there will be no Steam client for Linux any time soon. When someone found the Linux references in the client code...or some code, Valve came along a couple days later saying they were not actively working on a Linux client. Granted, that does mean it could be out before Episode 3, but still, don't expect to much.

As for the Eng update, I have the feeling it will be out before the end of E3.

Since we're actually starting to use RED again, I've taken a moment to synchronize its configuration with BLU's... mainly enabling everything that we have changed on BLU since RED's configuration was last updated.

I also took the time to fix its mapcycle last night and fix its maplist (used by nominate) tonight.

FireSlash was looking into the lag issue again tonight, but since I only saw a few things he told me, I think might be better if he explained what he's found rather than me.

Or Steam for Linux, for that matter?

Here is my take on that situation:

Per a conversation I had in-game with a few of the guys on BLU last night, I'll say that if Valve truly WANTED to make a Linux client as well as any of its games available for those who prefer to use Linux (or, via emulation setups, FreeBSD), it can very easily do that. How? Most of the work to make that happen is already done with the recent port to the Mac. There are two key things Valve had to do to make this happen:

• Adapt Steam to use a different web rendering engine, notably Webkit. Not only is Webkit the core of Safari and of Google Chrome, the latter being available not just for Windows but for Mac and Linux as well, but of KDE's Konqueror.
  • Valve had to adapt Source to OpenGL. Linux desktops, like Macs, support OpenGL for 3D acceleration.

At this point in time, I see absolutely no reason why Valve could not port Steam and any Source game to Linux (and by extension, FreeBSD. About the only thing in the way right now is demand. People need to ask for it. People need to be aware of this.

--IJ.

Here is my take on that situation:

Per a conversation I had in-game with a few of the guys on BLU last night, I'll say that if Valve truly WANTED to make a Linux client as well as any of its games available for those who prefer to use Linux (or, via emulation setups, FreeBSD), it can very easily do that. How? Most of the work to make that happen is already done with the recent port to the Mac. There are two key things Valve had to do to make this happen:

• Adapt Steam to use a different web rendering engine, notably Webkit. Not only is Webkit the core of Safari and of Google Chrome, the latter being available not just for Windows but for Mac and Linux as well, but of KDE's Konqueror.
  • Valve had to adapt Source to OpenGL. Linux desktops, like Macs, support OpenGL for 3D acceleration.

At this point in time, I see absolutely no reason why Valve could not port Steam and any Source game to Linux (and by extension, FreeBSD. About the only thing in the way right now is demand. People need to ask for it. People need to be aware of this.

--IJ.

Don't know when you last checked but steam client is already webkit now. And the real answer to steam on linux? It's still a very tiny demographic so maybe once they're done milking osx.

According to Valve, there will be no Steam client for Linux any time soon. When someone found the Linux references in the client code...or some code, Valve came along a couple days later saying they were not actively working on a Linux client. Granted, that does mean it could be out before Episode 3, but still, don't expect to much.

False. I vaguely remember that they announced they were working on the Linux client around the same time they announced the Mac one, too. I'm searching around online, and Phoronix has some pretty good evidence that it's on the way.

I assumed everyone knew it was coming, I was just asking about when. Valve Time being as it is (I'm no novice to it), and with Engy update, Portal 2, and the (rumored) Episode 3 stuff, I'd expect it won't be out until at least August or September.