OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

Don't know when you last checked but steam client is already webkit now.

I am completely aware of this, so I jumped on the beta rather late into the testing phase. In fact, I was happy to hear that it would use Webkit (though I did not exactly put two and two together at the time that it would mean support for the Mac; once the announcement for Steam for the Mac came out, it became clear) since Trident is a massive security hole. Even happier still since Webkit is open source and already available for multiple platforms.

And the real answer to steam on linux? It's still a very tiny demographic so maybe once they're done milking osx.
Perhaps now, but this could start the ball rolling for those of us who like neither platform but prefer Linux or (if you use ABI emulation) other x86 variants of Unix, e.g. FreeBSD or OpenSolaris.

--IJ.

I think that's what he's saying: the 2 essential parts of the conversion have already been done because of the Mac version, so there are no barriers left to a Linux version aside from demand.

I think that there is a demand for games on Linux. The Humble Indie Bundle proved that with 24626 copies of the bundle sold specifically to the Linux platform in only several weeks. However, I won't be lax in admitting that the majority of the games in the bundle were open source (which may have been partially responsible for many of the sales).

There are also several (commercial) specific software solutions out there for running Windows games on Linux computers such as Crossover Games. They even have a specific page for supporting TF2. Currently the game is ranked as a "Silver Medal" which means that it is officially supported but there are still some notable bugs.

Frankly, I think it would be awesome if Steam & TF2 came to Linux. Would I use it... maybe. But the benefit of a big name developer getting OUT of the Windows-only mentality would be great for the game community as a whole. Just remember, competition in the market helps up the ante for the quality in competing products (in this case operating systems).

Does asking if they can M2 count as talking shit?

er... all the Macs I know of that can play TF2 come with that silly one button mouse (or touchpad) with the direction sensitive button, i.e. it can tell which side of said button you're pressing and reacts differently.

Now... who knows why they didn't just make them separate buttons. Probably not aesthetically pleasing enough.

An optional update for Team Fortress 2 is now available. The major changes include:

- Fixed client crash when rendering model panels

- Fixed client crash when rendering text strings

- Fixed client crash in the main menu

- Fixed server crash related to bots and health kits

I will be installing this on the servers shortly, but not restarting the ones in use when the update is finished.

False. I vaguely remember that they announced they were working on the Linux client around the same time they announced the Mac one, too. I'm searching around online, and Phoronix has some pretty good evidence that it's on the way.

I've read that article and the follow-up from May 12 saying it is official that there is a Linux client coming, even though Valve has made no such announcement. The source for the phoronix article is a telegraph article about the mac client with a single sentence about the Linux client, a single un-sourced sentence. It wouldn't be the first time a news site and a blog got themselves into a circle jerk, so I wouldn't get your hopes up to high. Also, this isn't the first time Linux references have been found in a valve product only to result in nothing. It was a year ago people found assorted libraries for Linux included with the Left 4 Dead demo, and Valve has looked for programmers that specialized in Linux several times since 2007.

All that being said, I do expect to see a Linux client, not anytime soon mind you. Being a small market, and a rather difficult market for a business to develop for, it may take time to create something and it may not be what people want. Now, before someone jumps on me for the 'difficult' comment, consider this for a moment. Valve has to select distributions that are currently popular and will remain popular, so not to waste their time.

Edit: and I can't find a source for my earlier statement, although I am pretty sure they made it (or a similar one) I have no proof so it's useless. Even if I could find proof, it is a valve statement after all and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Oh, I mentioned the TF2 update, but it was probably affected by the Orange Box engine update as well. That is to say:

Updates to Portal, Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One and Half-Life 2: Episode Two have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

* Fixed crash when local sound cache files were corrupt

* Hide cursor when playing movies in game

macs have had two button mouse functionality for over six years and anyone still make that joke needs to be kicked in the face

Except that they're still using those one-button mice that give no haptic feedback about which side of the mouse you're actually pressing. It's annoying as hell.

OK, either something needs to be done about our current server or we need to get a new server now.

Lag spikes are now coming every 3-10 minutes and the game is becoming completely unplayable because of it.

Quoted for truth. Got smacked with lagspikes at least 3 times in a single Badlands round -- the last one was long enough to drop me for lack of a connection.

OK, either something needs to be done about our current server or we need to get a new server now.

Lag spikes are now coming every 3-10 minutes and the game is becoming completely unplayable because of it.

Yeeeah. What's the deal with that?

Edit: New post in the admin group.

if youre going to get a new server dont go with gameservers or any of the crazy cheap ones like that

theres a reason theyre so cheap and although it may be too long ago for some of you to recall theres no crazy spikes like we currently get but GENERAL server lag is basically constant and it just becomes ridiculous

when it gets loaded enough shooting rockets looks like theyre jumping forward multiple frames instead of smoothly flying

basically spend a little more money (im sure people would help out with that i know i would) and go with more quality

An optional update for Team Fortress 2 is now available. Please run hldsupdatetool to receive the update. The specific changes include:

Engine:

- Fixed crash in SourceTV relay

Team Fortress 2"

- Fixed blood splashes not appearing on bullet hits

- Fixed Achievement dialog text being cut off for certain resolutions

- TFBot Changes:

-Medics now respond when nearby humans call for Medic

- If a Medic Bot is healing you and has an ÜberCharge ready, use the voice commands "Go go go!" or "Activate Charge!" to force the Bot to activate the ÜberCharge

I will as usual update the servers, but not restart ones in use until tomorrow morning.