OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

So yeah, it sounds like the Golden Wrench is gotten randomly while crafting other items.

Valve has disabled the recipe to convert larger metal types into smaller ones for the time being.

Also, the new Engineer Shotgun (Frontier Justice) has been revealed... except teamfortress.com is still laggy.

Basically, it has half the magazine size of the shotgun, never crits normally, but crits twice for every sentry gun kill and once for every sentry gun kill assist... and gets an unspecified number of crits when the sentry gun is destroyed.

I just smelted a bunch of crap and crafted a Soldier's stainless steel pot (I was hoping for something else :-/) and a crit-a-cola. No luck on a gold (Australium?) wrench. Do want!

Also, that's fast work if they're getting the update out by Thursday. If they do, I'm sure they'll have another "free weekend" deal.

So yeah, it sounds like the Golden Wrench is gotten randomly while crafting other items.

Valve has disabled the recipe to convert larger metal types into smaller ones for the time being.

Also, the new Engineer Shotgun (Frontier Justice) has been revealed... except teamfortress.com is still laggy.

Basically, it has half the magazine size of the shotgun, never crits normally, but crits twice for every sentry gun kill and once for every sentry gun kill assist... and gets an unspecified number of crits when the sentry gun is destroyed.

About the Frontier Justice...

My current theory is that the only crits granted are the bonus crits upon Sentry destruction, with the +2 per kill and +1 per assist being the hard stats that affect how many crits you get. This would create a tradeoff where if you want your crits you can't have a Sentry backing you up at the same time.

(Edited for rephrasing.)

I don't think they're just limiting it to 100. I think the first 100 will get numbered wrenches, then the rest of the community will be able to obtain them after the fact anyway.

At least, that's my hope.

doubt it

doubt it

atmuh is probably right. after all, they had that limited availability soldier medal thing that only a few people got then nobody else got them.

on the flip side, they also had the ghastly gibbus hat event where a few people got it then others were able to receive them through dominations and they slowly propagated across the net.

we can only hope!

So I want to comment on this because I know for sure I'm not the only one who dislikes this (heard lots of complaints) - can we please eliminate the mapchooser? It was much better with a mapcycle with rtv for changing maps if one didn't work.

There are so many issues with the mapchooser with almost no benefit, if at all, over a mapcycle with weekly alterations. There is a reason why I switched back to weekly rotations when I originally got overwhelming complaints to a mapchooser.

the mapchooser is a lot nicer because i have the ability to nominate maps that i happen to like but arent on the standard rotation because they are less popular (like junction) and can get to play them without having to get people to rtv

the two major problems with the mapchooser as it is are that first off it pulls the default vote from basically EVERY map on the server which can create some pretty terrible vote choices, but that can be easily fixed if the default vote came from a specific list for example like the mapcycle we used to use, so its a set of the most popular maps

the second problem is that the vote comes up out of nowhere and makes the 1-3 keys unusable for that instant which can be rather annoying but that can also be fixed by using the mapvote_exented plugin

we tried this once and the server crashed as a result but im pretty sure that i know why and could very easily figure it out and tweak the settings to something that would actually work the best for people, since i think the main issue was that fireslash just kinda threw it on the server without looking at the config file for the plugin

I remember trying out the mapchooser for a period of less than a week, but I stopped the experiment because it got some pretty overwhelming negativity, because of inherent flaws such as predictable voting that ended up with a mapcycle that turned off a lot of regulars. It's a net negative experience, and makes people want to play less due to some map getting voted that is abhorred. When you see ctf_sawmill and koth_sawmill in less than an hour or 3+ people idling in protest with more complaining, it's clear there's a problem. I will say that the mapchooser even makes me want to not play anymore, and I don't mind experimenting with new maps.

There is also the selection popping up in game, often resulting in someone dying (if not more than one) - that alone is pretty unacceptable. It has caused me to die a few times I know, and is a universal complaint almost every time it pops up.

I don't see how this is a plus over a mapcycle with weekly alterations - I've gotten several complaints via messages as it is with the mapchooser in the past week and a half, and coupled with complaints in game, I don't see any benefit whatsoever.

I remember trying out the mapchooser for a period of less than a week, but I stopped the experiment because it got some pretty overwhelming negativity, because of inherent flaws such as predictable voting that ended up with a mapcycle that turned off a lot of regulars. It's a net negative experience, and makes people want to play less due to some map getting voted that is abhorred. When you see ctf_sawmill and koth_sawmill in less than an hour or 3+ people idling in protest with more complaining, it's clear there's a problem. I will say that the mapchooser even makes me want to not play anymore, and I don't mind experimenting with new maps.
first off it pulls the default vote from basically EVERY map on the server which can create some pretty terrible vote choices, but that can be easily fixed if the default vote came from a specific list for example like the mapcycle we used to use, so its a set of the most popular maps

solves that problem

There is also the selection popping up in game, often resulting in someone dying (if not more than one) - that alone is pretty unacceptable. It has caused me to die a few times I know, and is a universal complaint almost every time it pops up.
the second problem is that the vote comes up out of nowhere and makes the 1-3 keys unusable for that instant which can be rather annoying but that can also be fixed by using the mapvote_exented plugin

we tried this once and the server crashed as a result but im pretty sure that i know why and could very easily figure it out and tweak the settings to something that would actually work the best for people, since i think the main issue was that fireslash just kinda threw it on the server without looking at the config file for the plugin

solves that problem

Your first isn't really solved, as there's no real benefit over a mapcycle then if you restrict the maplist used greatly. It also still leaves the predictable voting problem there strongly.

if you restrict the voting to the ~13 or whatever maps that were in the old cycle you get a pretty varied group of maps just the same as you had before with the added variety of the occasional map that will be nominated by someone that isnt normally on the list

so its exactly the same as it used to be with a little more variety which is nice

and its not in some specific order which is nice so i dont have to WAIT for my favorite map i can go ahead and nominate it (provided that it hasnt been played within the last 8 or whatever its set to maps played)

if you restrict the voting to the ~13 or whatever maps that were in the old cycle you get a pretty varied group of maps just the same as you had before with the added variety of the occasional map that will be nominated by someone that isnt normally on the list

so its exactly the same as it used to be with a little more variety which is nice

and its not in some specific order which is nice so i dont have to WAIT for my favorite map i can go ahead and nominate it (provided that it hasnt been played within the last 8 or whatever its set to maps played)

Sounds less varied than a mapcycle that changes weekly to me. At least there you have room for flexible insertion of a good mix of new and old maps.

As I said, I think it speaks volumes when I get quite more complaints about how it's done now than when I handled it while I was active, and I'm not even supposed to be the go to guy anymore.

people constantly complain about mapcycles too youre talking like no one ever complains about anything

and

Sounds less varied than a mapcycle that changes weekly to me. At least there you have room for flexible insertion of a good mix of new and old maps.

makes no sense to me as having user controlled choices on a constant basis instead of some dude who writes the cycle every week (which as fireslash would say sounds curiously like effort) would be somehow LESS varied

Correction, it WAS listed as my favorite map the last time I checked a few days ago. cp_steel is my favorite map now, according to stats.

Also, I finally swiped the Sapper award from whomever had it... MWAHAHAHA!

One last thing: 1 more Wrench to #50, so I hope you're ready for Engineer Update Day 2.

Also, I finally swiped the Sapper award from whomever had it... MWAHAHAHA!

the difference is i only play spy 1 map per night MAYBE 2 but almost never

if youd like me to take all the spy global awards though and make sure no one ever takes them i can go ahead and do that

Engine Update:

Engine:

- Fixed disconnect exploit causing players to be forced off of a server due to an overflowed packet.

- Fixed players being able to start the game using a DirectX level less than DirectX8.

This is being applied as part of a Counter-Strike: Source update right now.

RED has been restarted, I'm leaving BLU for later.