OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

KAC is awesome.

http://www.ocrtf2.com/bans/index.php?p=banlist&advSearch=STEAM_0:0:27355855&advType=steamid&Submit

For those of you not famliar with JIRX, he has a few youtube videos....

etc

Looks like he tried to pop in around 4am, so I doubt any admins were on.

Actually that's not the first time that he tried to log on. He was actually banned earlier by the console while the server was full on Tuesday due to consistency violations. Chili was on at the time so I warned him when I noticed that he was logging on. As Atmuh pointed out, he uses a Source Mod exploit to change the timescale and speed hack.

Does KAC ban anyone that doesn't have the correct files that sv_pure checks?

it shouldnt

having mathacks on your local machine will never get you banned its just the job of the whitelist to make sure those files arent used

using the generic bypasser to force sv_pure 0 will get you banned though

Actually that's not the first time that he tried to log on. He was actually banned earlier by the console while the server was full on Tuesday due to consistency violations. Chili was on at the time so I warned him when I noticed that he was logging on. As Atmuh pointed out, he uses a Source Mod exploit to change the timescale and speed hack.

it shouldnt

having mathacks on your local machine will never get you banned its just the job of the whitelist to make sure those files arent used

using the generic bypasser to force sv_pure 0 will get you banned though

/me is officially confused.

What's depressing is, it is things like this that always -in the back of my head- make me doubt the true skill of good players.

Having modified files isn't necessarily a problem. Custom skins and such are just fine and dandy. the whitelist will tell the client what is and isn't OK.

The key here is not that he had modified his models/skins, but that sv_consistency was set to 0. When you join a server, the server has certain vars that it enforces upon the client (such as sv_cheats 0). In this case, even after connected, sv_consistency was 0, which is inconsistent with the server's configuration. The only circumstance where this will happen is if the client is modified to this end. (note that typing sv_consistency 0 in console or a cfg file WON'T trigger this behavior, the client knows these vars are protected and won't normally let you change them)

As for that convar, sv_consistency has three settings. 2, which drops any client with custom model files which do not match the server, 1 which lets the client load models (provided they aren't something silly like huge), and 0 which totally disables the checks. IIRC we have it set to the default; 1. Note that the pure whitelist rules still apply.

convar violations are ALWAYS the result of a hacked client, which is why kac ALWAYS bans for it.

/themoreyouknow

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=4076&p=1

valve has an opportunity to add weapons to a class (medic) that they havent added items to in forever and would get people to play what is undeniably the most important class in the game more and they dont

great job

I don't have a link to the post, but Greenmarine posted on SA that they'll be shipping more than just the ones who won.

So the Spy gets a new knife? I wonder what Valve's gonna do with that.

That's not the only item I want to know about.

The Polycount page has been up and down since Valve posted this, so I'm going to list all the items, plus possible interpretations based on the descriptions by their authors:

Soldier -

The Black Box - Rocket Launcher replacement. It's implied that it fires heavier (slower?) rockets that either do more damage or have a wider radius.

The Grenadier's Softcap - Hat

The Battalion's Back-up - Buff Banner replacement... I imagine Valve will give it a different effect. Healing all nearby allies? Making them all move faster?

Scout -

Mad Milk - Bonk Energy Drink replacement. Implied to make you move faster.

Milkman - Hat

The Short Stop - Pistol (?) replacement. Implied to do extra damage when shooting people from behind.

The Holy Mackerel - Possibly a new Melee weapon... possibly a secondary shot from The Short Stop. It's not really clear.

Pyro -

The Attendant - Hat

The Powerjack - Intended as a Homewrecker replacement, but has a car battery on it. Maybe it will shock players and prevent them from using their weapons for a second or two, much like a Spy gets shocked when backstabbing a Razorback?

The Degreaser - Flamethrower replacement. Has 4 fire sources... possibly a wider fire cone, but shorter?

Spy -

The Familiar Fez - Hat

Eternal Reward - Knife replacement. Jovian's idea would be funny. I'd use it just to facestab Frogg with. Alternatively, it could be used without breaking disguise, but would take time to kill the enemy... this idea was presented in the fake Spy update page a while back.

L'Étranger - Revolver replacement. Possibly fires two bullets at once, but has a delay between when it can be fired?

Sniper - None of these have any description by the author, so this one is pure guessing.

Darwin's Danger Shield - Razorback replacement. Perhaps lessens damage that the Sniper takes from bullets? Possible Misc item instead, if Valve can't figure out good attributes for it.

Ol' Snaggletooth - Hat

The Bushwhacka - Kukri replacement. My first thought would have been bleed effect, but Sniper already has one of those.

The Sydney Sleeper - Sniper Rifle replacement. Slows targets hit by it. Possibly, completely stun when headshot. Could be a SMG replacement instead so it's more useful. As I recall, the Spy had a Tranquilizer gun in a previous Team Fortress game that slowed the enemy, so this is actually reintroducing an old game mechanic.

That's not the only item I want to know about.

The Polycount page has been up and down since Valve posted this, so I'm going to list all the items, plus possible interpretations based on the descriptions by their authors:

Soldier -

The Black Box - Rocket Launcher replacement. It's implied that it fires heavier (slower?) rockets that either do more damage or have a wider radius.

WHOO AIRBLAST VICTIMS

The Battalion's Back-up - Buff Banner replacement... I imagine Valve will give it a different effect. Healing all nearby allies? Making them all move faster?

Move faster? Oh please no D8

Scout -

Mad Milk - Bonk Energy Drink replacement. Implied to make you move faster.

As if he wasn't fast enough

The Short Stop - Pistol (?) replacement. Implied to do extra damage when shooting people from behind.

Would be hilarious if it becomes as notoriously unpopular as the Backburner.

Spy -

Eternal Reward - Knife replacement. Jovian's idea would be funny. I'd use it just to facestab Frogg with. Alternatively, it could be used without breaking disguise, but would take time to kill the enemy... this idea was presented in the fake Spy update page a while back.

Take time to kill...? Isn't that just as obvious as the usual backstab? (After the act, anyway)

*points at responses*

WHOO AIRBLAST VICTIMS

er... Valve would probably make slower, heavier rockets un-reflectable.

As for the Spy knife, after thinking about it a bit, I wouldn't be surprised if they made it so it does a lot of damage and introduces a bleed effect. Not enough to instantly kill the victim if they're at full health, but they'll die in a few seconds if not healed. Only normal damage plus bleed effect from the front, though.

Although, honestly, I'd still use the regular knife if that were the case, because a bleed effect wouldn't be enough to make me switch from a knife that can kill an overhealed Heavy to one that wouldn't.

Though I doubt they'd do it it would be interesting if the Black box Rockets had a distinct curvature to their trajectory you know... they'd still be reflectable but much harder to aim back it would also limit their range somewhat.

Edit: if you're unsure I mean I guess the closest example I can think of is the Leviathan Rocket launcher from borderlands if you can remember specifics like that.