OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

Played the new Halloween themed map from the Art contest with MAV for a few minutes last night.

The most apparent flaw in it was that there were A LOT of invisible walls. There's junk blocking off paths that look like there's stuff behind it, but if you try to jump through you just hit a wall. It's confusing design.

Played the new Halloween themed map from the Art contest with MAV for a few minutes last night.

The most apparent flaw in it was that there were A LOT of invisible walls. There's junk blocking off paths that look like there's stuff behind it, but if you try to jump through you just hit a wall. It's confusing design.

Hopefully Valve will fix that before its official release.

On another subject, has anyone run into any problems with reserved slots today?

There is one other thing I forgot to mention about reserved slots. The new plugin will, if everyone on has a reserved slot, kick a lower immunity level if a higher level immunity person logs on.

In other words, if an admin logs on, it will kick a normal reserved slot holder.

Granted, this is very rare (do we even HAVE 24 reserved slot holders?).

What about the more vanilla version?

Ninja edit: Also, in
, the group Mav and myself made has a cameo. Click the link, or get to it some other way at 55 seconds, and watch the bottom right corner.

I hope the Spy in that video isn't always this bad.

Then again, I can say that because koth_nucleus is one of my best maps as Spy.

Wing? He's really not bad. Looks like he just had an off day that he decided to publish for the sake of that epic Scout crouch at the end.

I'm not so sure about that... his videos are hit and miss.

For instance, in his first video (dustbowl 3-2), yes, he's pretty good. His second video (cp_badlands) has him doing relatively little, with the Scouts on his team capping all the points.

I haven't watched the others yet.

Have a question for you lot, since I haven't found anything about it on the forums and maybe one of you guys has seen a similar bug. More or less at random, my game will decide it hates a particular server and will make the edges (and ONLY the edges) of my screen jerky as hell whenever I move, most pronouncedly in outdoor areas when objects are visible in front of the skybox. I can provide a demo if people have no idea what I'm talking about.

Any ideas?

I'm not so sure about that... his videos are hit and miss.

For instance, in his first video (dustbowl 3-2), yes, he's pretty good. His second video (cp_badlands) has him doing relatively little, with the Scouts on his team capping all the points.

I haven't watched the others yet.

To be fair, that Badlands video was more or less a complete steamroll. And IMO his self deprecating humor outweighs any feelings of "this guy sucks" that I feel.

I wasn't aware that swearing in and of itself was bannable. Racism, etc. definitely is, and we have very low tolerance for douchebaggery. Swearing tends to be present in both, but isn't necessarily inherent.

So I ask, was the banned person being a douchebag?

EDIT: While I'm thinking about it, I'd also like to announce that I have approximately zero tolerance for the latest method of building multiple Sentries. That is all. (Yes, I loathe Engineers, why do you ask? *innocentface*)

I see people get banned for swearing, just out of curiosity, what amounts of swearing constitutes to a ban? There is one person in particular that I constantly see tossing the f-word at people.

I assume that using swearing as a method for personal attacks against other players can get you banned. But just saying "OH FUCK" when FROGG pops up with a Kritz around the corner is acceptable.

I won't name names, but the person has been banned/reprimanded multiple times, so they are known to be a trouble maker :P

It doesn't really seem like the swearing issue I talked about is against the rules in particular. From all the times I can recollect, it is saying the f-word to someone that supposedly isn't doing the great job they are expected to be doing (ex: "Get on the f-ing cart", "BLU team is f-ing retarded" ect) It's also said in retaliation to questioning their sportsmanship, such as what I experienced recently which prompted me to make my post.

Such language and disrespect (from someone who many have witnessed resorting to dirty tricks and tactics and out-right abuse of glitches and bugs to cause performance issues to other users and to do anything possible for the sole purpose of them winning the game) is totally out of place for OCR, which is filled with many nice and considerate people. So many people on OCR are familiar with each other and doing such things shows complete lack of respect for others.

It could be that I'm just being overly sensitive on the matter. Some of the things I have noticed the person doing has made me really lose respect for them and so I am overly critical of anything they do.

EDIT: While I'm thinking about it, I'd also like to announce that I have approximately zero tolerance for the latest method of building multiple Sentries. That is all. (Yes, I loathe Engineers, why do you ask? *innocentface*)

This is an exploit (that will hopefully be fixed soon) and as such, people will be banned for it.

I won't name names, but the person has been banned/reprimanded multiple times, so they are known to be a trouble maker :P

It doesn't really seem like the swearing issue I talked about is against the rules in particular. From all the times I can recollect, it is saying the f-word to someone that supposedly isn't doing the great job they are expected to be doing (ex: "Get on the f-ing cart", "BLU team is f-ing retarded" ect) It's also said in retaliation to questioning their sportsmanship, such as what I experienced recently which prompted me to make my post.

To my knowledge, it isn't explicitly addressed, but falls under the general heading of "No hate speech" in the MOTD... it's probably something that needs to be expanded and clarified.

Such language and disrespect (from someone who many have witnessed resorting to dirty tricks and tactics and out-right abuse of glitches and bugs to cause performance issues to other users and to do anything possible for the sole purpose of them winning the game) is totally out of place for OCR, which is filled with many nice and considerate people. So many people on OCR are familiar with each other and doing such things shows complete lack of respect for others.

Glitches and bugs that affect the performance of others are also warnable/bannable offenses.

It could be that I'm just being overly sensitive on the matter. Some of the things I have noticed the person doing has made me really lose respect for them and so I am overly critical of anything they do.

There are regulars on this server that I have no respect for... and they probably know who they are. FYI, you're not one of them. ;-) However, if I'm thinking of the same person you mentioned at the top of your post... yeah, I can't figure it out either. This person has even has a dedicated thread on the admin board...

I love this post for many reasons. +1 rep :-)

I, like yourself, personally think the MOTD needs a bit of tweaking. To include "No excessive vulgarity" among other things. And I'm sure myself and the other admins representing the server will discuss it.

To my knowledge, it isn't explicitly addressed, but falls under the general heading of "No hate speech" in the MOTD... it's probably something that needs to be expanded and clarified.

For my part, the issue I have is not necessarily with the "f-word" (of course, I have issues when it is used along with other unsportsmanlike speech, but you can be a jackass equally well without ever using it). My real issue is the "r-word", i.e. "retarded", as a derogatory term toward anyone or anything. "Stupid" is okay. "Retarded" is not. I say this because people who really are retarded are not that way by choice and do not (necessarily) even know it. And they are fundamentally not bad people.

Do with it as you deem fit, but that is what I have to say on that matter.

--Ian.

For my part, the issue I have is not necessarily with the "f-word" (of course, I have issues when it is used along with other unsportsmanlike speech, but you can be a jackass equally well without ever using it). My real issue is the "r-word", i.e. "retarded", as a derogatory term toward anyone or anything. "Stupid" is okay. "Retarded" is not. I say this because people who really are retarded are not that way by choice and do not (necessarily) even know it. And they are fundamentally not bad people.

Do with it as you deem fit, but that is what I have to say on that matter.

--Ian.

Thanks Ian

Feedback is appreciated, always. I believe this falls under another topic in current discussion with the admins. Anything that is decided upon will likely be posted back here, or in the MOTD.

A required update for Team Fortress 2 is now available. The specific changes include:

- Fixed a sentry gun exploit that let Engineers build multiple sentries.

- Fixed Engineers being able to build level 3 mini-sentries using The Wrangler.

- Fixed the Holy Mackerel hit triggering the first blood event in Arena mode.

- Fixed seeing error particle systems in old demos.

I love this post for many reasons. +1 rep :-)

I, like yourself, personally think the MOTD needs a bit of tweaking. To include "No excessive vulgarity" among other things. And I'm sure myself and the other admins representing the server will discuss it.

Thank you!

There are regulars on this server that I have no respect for... and they probably know who they are. FYI, you're not one of them. :wink:

That makes me feel good!

However, if I'm thinking of the same person you mentioned at the top of your post... yeah, I can't figure it out either. This person has even has a dedicated thread on the admin board...

I believe we are probably referring to the same individual then.

A required update for Team Fortress 2 is now available. The specific changes include:

- Fixed another sentry gun exploit that let Engineers build multiple sentries.

- Fixed Engineers being able to build level 3 mini-sentries using The Wrangler for real this time

Launching the server updater now.