OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

By the time I finished installing it last night it was 3 in the morning, so not yet, but I plan to in the future. By which I mean this weekend. Even though I have three finals and two projects to study for/complete.

On a tangentially related note, I'm thinking of treating myself to a new external HD for Christmas.

I've... [thread=28828]suggested[/thread] that the forums be upgraded to a newer version, but it's been largely ignored. Despite there being a large number of security fixes in addition to being able to watch social groups in newer versions.

It hasn't been ignored. I keep telling you that an upgrade is planned. Stop harping on it.

So, is there actually demand for a Beta server? Keeping in mind that SourceMod isn't supported (without modding SourceMod, and I'm not sure what that entails), so it wouldn't have reserved slots, rtv, or any of that fun stuff.

Just make it Passworded and we will be fine.

Or do you need crappy old source mod for that too?

I would like to see a Beta server however, as that would be really cool to get to try the things that piss me off in advance about the pyro.

Just make it Passworded and we will be fine.

Or do you need crappy old source mod for that too?

Passwords are built into the server software, so I can create one without it.

I would like to see a Beta server however, as that would be really cool to get to try the things that piss me off in advance about the pyro.

Of course, there's no telling how long Valve will have the TF2 Beta running for. I saw it was updated today, but they didn't bother releasing any patch notes... or even telling us that we had to restart any servers (we would have, because it updated cp_5gorge).

I haven't played in weeks.

:<

I changed it the day you said you checked it every day, and I've seen you on since then.

Anyway, as for the Beta server:

For whatever reason, your backpack contains:

- All the achievement unlock items (including all 3 Natascha variants)

- The GRU

- The entire Saharan Spy set including Fez

- Any unlocks from other games and preorders (the Poker Night ones are missing their names)

cp_5gorge is a symmetric (push) CP map with the normal gorge layout mirrored at the former second (now middle) point. One minor change is that right half of the middle point room is now a mirror of the left half, meaning that the right staircase to the point is now reversed, and there is a ledge running up above the right side. The forward (third) spawn room is to one side of the fourth point... to the right from the perspective of the attacking team that has capped 4 points. This may make recapturing said point quite difficult. The first and fifth points are between the middle and right spawn doors, near the building that has the health pack in it.

Edit:

OCRemix TF2 BETA is now passworded.

Password is: ocremix

Before I forget, since the BETA server doesn't have map voting (see previous post mentioning SourceMod), the mapcycle on it is this:

cp_5gorge

pl_goldrush

koth_nucleus

cp_granary

ctf_turbine

pl_badwater

cp_5gorge

plr_pipeline

koth_viaduct

cp_granary

ctf_doublecross

pl_upward

In other words, either 5gorge or granary appears every third map, since these are the maps that changed in this beta... I was trying to avoid adding in other cp maps because of this.

There is an event scheduled roughly three and a half hours from now on BETA (8pm EST / 5pm PST / 1am GMT).

On the Highlander front, we had a strategy session today, which basically boiled down to "We know these maps, let's just play smart and not act stupid." Also I spent the entire second half of our Steel session being a Spy on the opposite team and having gleeful, cackling fun with the C&D. Some highlights:

-On Badwater offense, we're going to have a group of 4 pushing the cart and the rest pushing ahead, but not so far that they can't come back to assist at the cart if necessary.

-The roof of Badwater is vital, no news there. B is the best point to try and stop them completely at when defending.

-The first point of both Badwater and Steel is more of a speedbump rather than a serious attempt to stop the enemy completely when defending.

-On Steel, watch the number of people coming out the gate to attack A. Use this to gauge how many are going to go for E or set up sneaky forward bases. The Scout or Spy should be at B to help out with this.

-This goes without saying, but prioritize E over any other point when defending Steel.

-Watch out for the enemy Sniper.

EDIT: Also, as a reminder, our match is tomorrow at 9 PM EST.

On the Highlander front, we had a strategy session today, which basically boiled down to "We know these maps, let's just play smart and not act stupid." Also I spent the entire second half of our Steel session being a Spy on the opposite team and having gleeful, cackling fun with the C&D. Some highlights:

-On Badwater offense, we're going to have a group of 4 pushing the cart and the rest pushing ahead, but not so far that they can't come back to assist at the cart if necessary.

-The roof of Badwater is vital, no news there. B is the best point to try and stop them completely at when defending.

-The first point of both Badwater and Steel is more of a speedbump rather than a serious attempt to stop the enemy completely when defending.

-On Steel, watch the number of people coming out the gate to attack A. Use this to gauge how many are going to go for E or set up sneaky forward bases. The Scout or Spy should be at B to help out with this.

-This goes without saying, but prioritize E over any other point when defending Steel.

-Watch out for the enemy Sniper.

EDIT: Also, as a reminder, our match is tomorrow at 9 PM EST.

Post more strategies on a public forum. :)!!

Good news! I no longer have to schedule biweekly matches between two teams of 9 people each! Wait...

Unfortunately, we did lose our match today. And I'm really bad at generic platitudes, so I'll cut this short before I lose myself.

So, now that the Highlander server is no longer needed, I should shut it down?

Too bad it didn't happen a few days ago, or we could have kept the CS:S server. Then again, NO ONE used the CS:S server during November (according to stats).

Oh right, I booted the CS:S server to steal its IP for the TF2 Beta server.

Too bad it didn't happen a few days ago, or we could have kept the CS:S server. Then again, NO ONE used the CS:S server during November (according to stats).

If you want, I suppose. I don't anticipate a sudden influx of people wanting tournament style Highlander matches for funsies.

EDIT: If it's any consolation to those with an emotional investment, I have been told that we were by far the hardest team Lazytown has fought so far. And also that our Scout and Spy "just raped." So kudos to Chili and Necro.

I beleive that atmuh has requested the use of the highlander server for his team.......

It's time for the great Steam Treasure Hunt!

Personally, I think this is ridiculous. The only way to get the best TF2 hat from this hunt is to complete every objective in this treasure hunt. And most objectives involve owning different games.

I figure I have a large enough Steam library that I might get one or two of those hats, but definitely not the third.

It's time for the great Steam Treasure Hunt!

Personally, I think this is ridiculous. The only way to get the best TF2 hat from this hunt is to complete every objective in this treasure hunt. And most objectives involve owning different games.

I figure I have a large enough Steam library that I might get one or two of those hats, but definitely not the third.

I wouldn't say this is any more ridiculous than pokernight at the inventory. In fact, I'd say it's less ridiculous. Because chances are if you get some of these achievements, you're legitimately interested in the games you own. It likely isn't going to be a reflection of who is willing to pay for items/hats (unlike pokernight), but rather a reflection of your interest in other games. Of course it doesn't hurt valve to have people who're insane enough to actually purchase enough games to unlock hats, and those insane people deserve to pay insane amounts of money to complete their collection. So it's win win!

I do find the name of the last hat amusing though. While its certainly displays the player's wealth.... the respect part is fairly ironic. :)!!

I wouldn't say this is any more ridiculous than pokernight at the inventory. In fact, I'd say it's less ridiculous. Because chances are if you get some of these achievements, you're legitimately interested in the games you own. It likely isn't going to be a reflection of who is willing to pay for items/hats (unlike pokernight), but rather a reflection of your interest in other games. Of course it doesn't hurt valve to have people who're insane enough to actually purchase enough games to unlock hats, and those insane people deserve to pay insane amounts of money to complete their collection. So it's win win!

I do find the name of the last hat amusing though. While its certainly displays the player's wealth.... the respect part is fairly ironic. :)!!

Poker Night is all of $5 ($3 today and tomorrow).

Speaking of which, getting the Heavy's new minigun is one of the objectives for today/tomorrow.

One of the others requires that you own R.U.S.E. and chances are that anyone who bought an RTS around the time R.U.S.E. came out got Starcraft 2 instead.