OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

Heavy is overpowered.

Currently the Heavy has the Fists of Steel which are generally agreed to be too powerful for the trade-off. The FOS negates one of the Heavy's hard counters (Sniper) while also negating soft counters. This allows the Heavy to put opponents in unfavorable conditions with little to no risk.

For the most part Heavy is fairly balanced. He was quite underpowered before the spinup and movement buff but has since fallen into a place of usability. Looking at the Heavy we can surmise certain strengths and weaknesses from him.

Strengths:

• High HP
  • High damage at close range
  • Valuable rally point (people follow Heavies)
  • Holds positions well
  • Good Medic buddy

Now we look at the weaknesses:

• Low mobility
  • Large frame
  • Low speed
  • Line of sight damage
  • High damage falloff past mid range
  • Wind up/wind down time on primary weapon
  • Poor burst damage
  • Must often engage in unfavorable condition (mobility)

These inbuilt weaknesses allow several classes to effectively deal with a Heavy. I propose the following classes all can counter Heavy to some extent.

• Sniper (1 per team)
  • Spy (1 per team)
  • Soldier
  • Demoman
  • Scout (barring effective Natascha)
  • Focus fire from any 2 classes

The key to killing a Heavy is to treat him like a sentry gun. The key it to attack where he is not looking or from outside his effective range. Rockets and stickies do more damage than the minigun at mid range. Heavies can also be edged very easily because they move slowly once spun up. The key is to remember that most everyone will lose a straight fight with a Heavy due to his mechanics.

If anyone wants to give me some tips or resources on how to make videos I may make some informational ones on TF2 strategies and how to deal with certain situations.

If anyone wants to give me some tips or resources on how to make videos I may make some informational ones on TF2 strategies and how to deal with certain situations.

I have a step by step process I use to make my own videos:

• Acquire a demo. Either type "record <demoname>" in console or get a plugin like PREC to do it for you. I use PREC because I keep forgetting to do it manually.
  • Play back the demo in TF2 and convert it to video with a method of your choosing. Shift + F2 brings up a Demo UI that lets you speed up/slow down playback, as well as skip to specific frames. (Allegedly. Skipping frames tends to make my own copy crash.) You can use TF2's ingame recorder (.tga sequence or .avi) which tends to be slow but results in a higher quality video when you're done, or use video capture software like FRAPS. (Tip: Use the parameters "-window -noborder -width XXX -height YYY" in TF2's launch options to force specific screen resolutions and alleviate Alt-Tab woes.)
  • Edit the result in the video editing software of your choice. Note that if you record a .tga sequence, you'll need to use something capable of stringing them together like VirtualDub, even if it's just an intermediate step. Also note that .avi files may not play properly in media players until you've finished editing and encoding them, since the methods used to generate the video result in huge filesizes, which media players tend to freak out over.
  • Publish to YouTube or similar.

[*]Good Medic buddy

I agree with all of Necro's post but only quote this so save some space for everyone.

Heavies with Medics become very difficult to engage -- often the key to killing a Heavy is to take out the Medic first, who does not heal as fast. Spies and Snipers can go straight for the Heavy, but a Soldier is often better served firing his rockets at the Medic first, and only engaging the Heavy when he doesn't have backup.

So yeah, this is what my Spy currently looks like:

spy_dual_unusual.png

It looks kind of goofy, but that's both an Unusual Le Party Phantom with Circling Heart and Unusual Fancy Fedora with Circling Peace sign.

I should probably turn on anti-aliasing if I'm taking screenshots... whoops.

Edit: Sorry about the lighting, this was in cp_frontier's third BLU spawn room, which has bad lighting in it.

That just reinforces my opinion that unusuals aren't worth the hype.

Well, these ARE rather low-tier unusuals.

And figures, now that I have the two I currently have, someone offers me a Purple Energy Le Party Phantom for my Max Set + Earbuds... I could almost cry. (Max Set and multiple earbuds were involved in getting the two I have now.)

(Having said that, a pair of unusuals are worth more than a single one, no matter how good it is.)

Whew, I have a Hustler's Hallmark again. It felt strange having only a crappy hat for Demo following my unusual trades.

I was able to clear out a few of my unwanted hats for it, too!

Of course, my old Hallmark was vintage, whereas this one isn't, but that doesn't really matter to me.

Also, Bark, if you're reading this, I didn't mean to ignore you yesterday, I was busy when you sent that and then I accidentally closed my Steam PMs window... I keep forgetting that it's a tabbed window.

One of these days I need to trade around to get the earbuds.

Speaking as someone who bought an extra set and tried to buy a second... it takes a lot of good hats to do it unless you find someone who doesn't know their value. It's the reason I no longer have my v. Procedure Mask or v. Whiskered Gentleman.

Anyone know how much a Demopan usually goes for? I'd love to snag one if I can, but not if it's like 5 Refined or something absurd.

A quick search on TF2 Trade Post seems to put its price pretty low. At the highest end I saw people requesting a hat for a pan and the lowest price I saw was 2 scrap metal. You could probably grab one pretty cheap.

A quick search on TF2 Trade Post seems to put its price pretty low. At the highest end I saw people requesting a hat for a pan and the lowest price I saw was 2 scrap metal. You could probably grab one pretty cheap.

That's not a surprise... a lot of people have Left 4 Dead 2.