OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

atmuh linked to this in chat, but I had to link it here, just because the concept is funny...

Hats of Affect: A Study of Affect, Achievements and Hats in Team Fortress 2

And yes, as far as I can tell, this is a serious paper.

I actually read that, or rather I started to read it and switched to skimming it roughly a quarter of the way through, and I still can't figure out what the author is trying to say. Hats are a way for us to express individuality in an otherwise impersonal FPS, leading to advanced player interaction?

I actually read that, or rather I started to read it and switched to skimming it roughly a quarter of the way through, and I still can't figure out what the author is trying to say. Hats are a way for us to express individuality in an otherwise impersonal FPS, leading to advanced player interaction?

From what I read of it, something like that.

I think they also tried to discuss the store aspect of it.

Source Engine Changes (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, HL2:DM)

- Fixed another server crash exploit caused by malformed network packets.

Team Fortress 2

- Added three new community maps:

- Koth_Lakeside

- PL_Frontier

- PLR_Nightfall

Server is updating now and these 3 maps will be added to rotation. Well, pl_frontier is already in the nominate list but will be put into the normal, non-nominate rotation.

Additionally, the server default maps will be toggled to two of the new maps.

Servers have been restarted. pl_frontier_final is the new BLU default, koth_lakeside_final is the new RED default.

Frontier had a few major changes in the back area between A, B, and C (i.e. the hill). In fact, one area that used to be part of the map will now send you plummeting to your doom near where the cart turns the corner to climb the hill.

There was always a death drop there, it was just fenced off by convenient geometry. Is there less walkable space now?

EDIT: Unless I'm thinking of the wrong spot.

Other than the optimization problems, loved koth_lakeside. Didn't realize those maps were added to the official list now - is the maplist for voting adjusted to account for that?

Nightfall and Frontier aren't bad too, but we've played them quite a bit before.

Also can we get Cashworks added to the server again http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/69298 ? I'm not sure we played rc2, have we? I don't really remember having much framerate problems with the map, certainly nothing nearly as bad as that one side of lakeside.

There was always a death drop there, it was just fenced off by convenient geometry. Is there less walkable space now?

EDIT: Unless I'm thinking of the wrong spot.

Well, (coming from B), there used to be an area around behind the stairs area that you could jump down into. That area is gone now, and jumping down will kill you.

Other than the optimization problems, loved koth_lakeside. Didn't realize those maps were added to the official list now - is the maplist for voting adjusted to account for that?

Nightfall and Frontier aren't bad too, but we've played them quite a bit before.

Also can we get Cashworks added to the server again http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/69298 ? I'm not sure we played rc2, have we? I don't really remember having much framerate problems with the map, certainly nothing nearly as bad as that one side of lakeside.

We've had rc2 on the server before, and people still complained about framerate problems on it.

It was brought to my attention that someone decided to nominate Launchpad the other night for reasons beyond my comprehension, and that the vote actually passed, also for reasons beyond my comprehension. Needless to say, any feedback would be helpful. I've already heard that it's a bit too easy for BLU to spawncamp RED as they move in to take the second point, but any further comments would be welcome. (I'm especially worried about the sheer size of the map.)

Why not try it again? I know I personally had very little framerate problems, and that koth_lakeside had massive problems on maybe 1/4th - 1/3rd of a area of the map even with an upgraded computer.

It's also a very large map that takes a long time to download.

I'll do it, but it's all your fault.

In fact, I've already done it (it was already on the download mirror).

It was brought to my attention that someone decided to nominate Launchpad the other night for reasons beyond my comprehension, and that the vote actually passed, also for reasons beyond my comprehension. Needless to say, any feedback would be helpful. I've already heard that it's a bit too easy for BLU to spawncamp RED as they move in to take the second point, but any further comments would be welcome. (I'm especially worried about the sheer size of the map.)

I nominated it that night but had no idea what it was or who made it. I guess people just wanted to try something new. Like you said, the map is a bit too wide open and the red spawn needs to be cut off from blu so it can't be camped, maybe even add another spawn on the other side of point B. And though I can tell it's not finished yet, the geometry of the map would look much nicer with some fleshing out and more detail. Apart from that I really like the layout of the map and the multiple paths of attack, and would love to see it finished and part of the server rotation.

I nominated it that night but had no idea what it was or who made it. I guess people just wanted to try something new. Like you said, the map is a bit too wide open and the red spawn needs to be cut off from blu so it can't be camped, maybe even add another spawn on the other side of point B. And though I can tell it's not finished yet, the geometry of the map would look much nicer with some fleshing out and more detail. Apart from that I really like the layout of the map and the multiple paths of attack, and would love to see it finished and part of the server rotation.

<3

You'll be pleased to know that the next release will feature a fully displaced plateau for point A. (Cliff walls are still out of luck.) And, you know, an actual stage 2 and everything.

I do have an alternative spawn exit for RED in mind that hopefully won't give them an absurd advantage.

A required update for Team Fortress 2 is now available. The specific changes include:

Team Fortress 2

- Added the Hero's Hachimaki for pre-ordering Homefront.

Yeesh, ANOTHER pre-order item? Soldier item this time... a hat, I think.

Servers are updated and restarted.

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Team Fortress 2

* Updated the Sharpened Volcano Fragment and the Sun-on-a-Stick so they can be traded

This apparently happened a few hours ago, but had no server update.

However, I thought the Genuine versions of these were already tradeable, so I'm not sure what this is referring to... or did Valve stealth-add the crafting recipes for these items already?

Who here wants Natascha to return to its pre-119 state?

They could probably remove the wind up penalty attached to Natascha since the slow down falloff change balanced it out pretty well.

or did Valve stealth-add the crafting recipes for these items already?

Boston Basher + 3 reclaimed = Sun on Stick

Degreaser + Powerjack + Refined = Volcano Fragment

They could probably remove the wind up penalty attached to Natascha since the slow down falloff change balanced it out pretty well.

Boston Basher + 3 reclaimed = Sun on Stick

Degreaser + Powerjack + Refined = Volcano Fragment

They're up to a REFINED per crafted weapon now? That's freaking insane.

And I'm saying that as a person who has like 18x refined in my inventory.