OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

A required update for Team Fortress 2 is now available. The specific changes include:

- Ended the Japan charity drive.

- Added 9 new hats and 1 new bear.

Servers updated and restarted.

Also... bear?

Oh, this blog post implies the bear is also a hat.

Edit: Lots of new Engy hats... plus the Engineer model was updated... hmm...

Actually, two of the Engy items and the Pyro item are Misc items.

This just in: Green Marine, one of Valve's developers, has confirmed what the TF2 Beta Set Style button does in your backpack.

Basically, some hats/misc items will have alternate appearances that you can select. One such item that will have an alternate appearance is the non-bear Engineer Misc item, the Googly Eye, which will have a robotic version.

Maybe this will stop them from releasing a billion and a half new hats every month.

Those new hats are awesome, but what the hell. The Portal pin is finally available...and you get it from playing all of the games in that asinine Potato Pack? Instead of, y'know, pre-ordering Portal 2? Le bullshit, Valve.

This has me more confused than angered.

I understand that there's an alternate-reality game going on associated with Portal 2, and I really like what they did with the Potato Hat ([Classified]). Modifying that item as a consequence of playing all the games would have been neat, but flat-out presenting the same people that bought the games associated with the ARG with a Portal Two pin?

I don't understand Valve's motivation here. I like the mystery surrounding it to be sure, but I feel as if it's not something for which I'd justify spending money on games in which I'm honestly not interested. A bit funny considering that one effectively has to "buy-in" to the ARG to discover these things on their own.

This has me more confused than angered.

I understand that there's an alternate-reality game going on associated with Portal 2, and I really like what they did with the Potato Hat ([Classified]). Modifying that item as a consequence of playing all the games would have been neat, but flat-out presenting the same people that bought the games associated with the ARG with a Portal Two pin?

No, no, no... it's a Potato pin!

See:

as_potatobadge.png

Strictly speaking, it's a Resurrection Associate Pin.

Touché, however.

The Potato logo there can be found on the profile page of anyone who has played all 13 games in that silly pack.

Anyway, I expect this pin, or more likely the Companion Cube Pin, to be a cross-game unlock, like the Alien Swarm Parasite hat was.

Having said that, I was interested in a few games in the pack, but buying them alone even on sale would have brought it to 2/3 of the price of the pack, so I just bought the whole thing. I've already regifted one of the dupes to one of my friends (Killing Floor to be exact).

Speaking of KF, OCR's KF server is updated and running.

P.S. Valve, why didn't you add more of the newer hats to Crate Series #18's drops? Every item in it is an Engineer item, but only 1 or the three hats is new, and it's NOT THE BEAR.

This is now my opinion of most other decorative items in TF2.

Indeed.

I've actually heard a bit of conflicting info about that pin...apparently, it counts as a separate item than the "Companion Cube Pin" that was added ages ago, even though it looks the same. So maybe it'll be the case that pre-ordering (or just ordering) Portal 2 will still get you that original pin. I hope so, anyway...if not that, then I better get a goddamn cake hat or something.

Regarding the whole ARG thing in general, I don't mind the overall concept of it, and I actually think it's kind of cool that there are vague Portal references invading all of those other games. What I don't like, however, is the concept of having to buy that Potato Pack in order to get something related to Portal 2. I mean, I've probably heard of only half of those Potato games, and there are only two that I'd seriously want to play. I'm not about to go out and buy a bunch of games I have no interest in when there are dozens of other games out there I legitimately want to play.

Ugh...you ever have one of those nights where you lose almost every one-on-one situation you find yourself in, and every weapon seems to find you no matter how far away you are? That was tonight. Especially as Spy. Yeesh.

There's something I don't quite get about how map time limit works. There were a few situations tonight when the map ran out of time at a really crappy point in the match, including one where there were just 30 seconds left in a round. But I'm pretty sure I've been on other servers (or is it just other maps?) where the last round is always allowed to play out as it normally would before the map changes. Is there some sort of server-side setting, or maybe a mod, that enables this behavior?

Ugh...you ever have one of those nights where you lose almost every one-on-one situation you find yourself in, and every weapon seems to find you no matter how far away you are? That was tonight. Especially as Spy. Yeesh.

Been there, done that.

There's something I don't quite get about how map time limit works. There were a few situations tonight when the map ran out of time at a really crappy point in the match, including one where there were just 30 seconds left in a round. But I'm pretty sure I've been on other servers (or is it just other maps?) where the last round is always allowed to play out as it normally would before the map changes. Is there some sort of server-side setting, or maybe a mod, that enables this behavior?

Whether a map ends immediately or not is apparently a setting in the map itself.

As a general rule:

CTF and 5CP (Symmetric) maps end immediately.

Push CP, PLR, PL, KOTH, and Arena maps end at the end of the round.

PL Upward is bugged and ends immediately. I seem to recall one other map is bugged as well... I was thinking it was PL Thunder Mountain, but I don't remember.

The only way to fix this is to toss the timelimit and use maxrounds instead. However, this is not a one-size fits all setting. For instance, KOTH rounds can go as quickly as 3.5 minutes. Multi-stage CP and PL maps can take up to 35 or so minutes per round (As I recall Dustbowl is 30, Gold Rush and Thunder Mountain are 35).

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I can't remember which map ended with 30 seconds left, but it was one where I hadn't seen it happen before, so it wound up surprising me. I can see why you'd want the setting on CTF and 5CP maps in general, because you could easily wind up in a seemingly-endless stalemate, but it's still a huge bummer when you're in the middle of a heated back-and-forth over a certain control point and the round just cuts off. Maybe it wouldn't feel so bad if there was some way of alerting the players that the time limit was almost up.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I can't remember which map ended with 30 seconds left, but it was one where I hadn't seen it happen before, so it wound up surprising me. I can see why you'd want the setting on CTF and 5CP maps in general, because you could easily wind up in a seemingly-endless stalemate, but it's still a huge bummer when you're in the middle of a heated back-and-forth over a certain control point and the round just cuts off. Maybe it wouldn't feel so bad if there was some way of alerting the players that the time limit was almost up.

Personally, I think they should set the current round's timer to that, but they don't because of Sudden Death.

Also, updated the Melee-only plugin on the server to a new version that adds the buffalo steak and the concheror to the list of available items.

...yay for adding one of the overpowered items to the list. :/