OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

By the way, those complaining about a lack of bonuses for preordering Portal 2: TF2 Companion Cube Pin... it's the page you get for clicking the Orange portal halfway off the screen at the bottom of the Hatless Update page on their site.

Also:

Server has been updated with dev versions of MetaMod and SourceMod to get them back up and running.

Also updated the SDKHooks extension, as the old version no longer works as of this version. This extension is used by HLStatsX CE for tracking.

Having said that, even without MetaMod/SourceMod, the servers are a bit unstable.

I've disabled the TF2 built-in voting in case that was causing the instability. SourceMod's voting should work, though. If the servers crashes, the built-in votes will come back up, as I manually toggled the cvar in the consoles (and if it crashes, that didn't fix the issue).

Also, I fixed the nominate list. You're welcome.

By the way, those complaining about a lack of bonuses for preordering Portal 2: TF2 Companion Cube Pin... it's the page you get for clicking the Orange portal halfway off the screen at the bottom of the Hatless Update page on their site.

Well that's nice, at least. I can now take my Potato-induced raeg back a notch.

(Though now they're even using it to hold the early release over our heads. Ugh.)

Well that's nice, at least. I can now take my Potato-induced raeg back a notch.

(Though now they're even using it to hold the early release over our heads. Ugh.)

You are aware that everything pointing to an early release came from those games and the related ARG in the first place?

Edit: TF2 servers are being restarted (with the votes still disabled) to address an issue with the Melee Only plugin... which should now work again.

Oh, did I mention I now have all 36 potatoes? It looks like that's all of them, because I now have a gold potato by my name in my Steam profile.

So that's why you've been bouncing between those games every five minutes on Steam. Personally, my opinion on ARGs has pretty accurately been summarized here... but the allure of time-constrained collectables calls to me none the less. I might have to look up how to get all that crap and do it just because.

You are aware that everything pointing to an early release came from those games and the related ARG in the first place?

Edit: TF2 servers are being restarted (with the votes still disabled) to address an issue with the Melee Only plugin... which should now work again.

I thought they were releasing the game on April 19th... you know, the day skynet supposedly went sentient......

(well played Valve, well played..)

A required update for Team Fortress 2 is now available. The specific changes include:

Source Engine Changes (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, HL2:DM)

- Fixed a startup crash for some users who were unable to load client.dll

- Fixed a "status" command regression in the dedicated server console

Team Fortress 2

- Added a missing material for the Scotsman's Stove Pipe

- Fixed a server crash caused by the server triggering a nextlevel vote

- Fixed the kicking of coaches for being idle as soon as they stop coaching

- Fixed a coaching exploit

Updating now.

There were rumors flying around about it (including some GameStop pre-order date inconsistencies) for some time before the ARG started, and both the mysterious Portal 2 update yesterday and the countdown clock on the website were sources that were external to what was going on. It's just the fact that people playing completely-unrelated games are now going to determine exactly when the rest of us get to play Portal 2 that rubs me the wrong way. Valve could have at least done something with their own titles.

There were rumors flying around about it (including some GameStop pre-order date inconsistencies) for some time before the ARG started

GameStop has nothing to do with Steam and wouldn't affect the Steam launch date. It was just GameStop being GameStop.

both the mysterious Portal 2 update yesterday and the countdown clock on the website were sources that were external to what was going on. It's just the fact that people playing completely-unrelated games are now going to determine exactly when the rest of us get to play Portal 2 that rubs me the wrong way. Valve could have at least done something with their own titles.

And where did the URL to the Portal 2 Countdown Clock come from?

"The Audio Clues did lead to a QR code. It leads to an ApertureScience.com URL with a countdown to 4/15 9:00 AM. "

Audio Clues? Oh right, the 21 audio clues in the Potato Sack pack games.

Okay, fair enough, I wasn't aware that the specific URL came from the ARG. Though that sort of ties into my point, since you'd have to buy the Potato games in order to be involved in the whole thing in the first place. But whatever.

New topic. Yesterday's update seems to have absolutely destroyed my ability to use voice chat, as doing so now sends out nothing but an ear-splitting blast of static. The mic itself is physically fine; I can record myself in Audacity/Sound Recorder just the same as I always could. I've tried fiddling around with the volume/gain settings in TF2, and it sometimes seems to work for a short while, but I'm inevitably back to static almost immediately. I've registered on SPUF to try to figure things out, but in the meantime, does anyone here have any ideas?

New topic. Yesterday's update seems to have absolutely destroyed my ability to use voice chat.

There was a Steam Client update that was supposed to fix this but here's a list of fixes for the update. There's a fix for sound issues in there.

http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/gr5r7/a_compilation_of_fixes_for_the_414_update/

Second Thing:

I did some research on the whole servers being tagged with an ID and good servers will be rewarded while bad servers will be punished. From what I got there was a bug that allowed the use of custom models serverside. This was used for things like Advanced Weaponizer and VS Saxton Hale mod. There were some unsavory people that decided to use this bug to sell others people's models and custom stuff on their own servers for profit, basically plagiarism. Valve patched this with this update which broke these mods as well as modifying the weapons.txt file.

Yeah, I've seen some of those fixes listed, but my specific issue doesn't seem to be among them. I don't think my game audio is affected at all when I'm broadcasting; it just transmits this burst of loud obnoxious distorted static that makes everyone else in the server yell "OMG WHAT THE HELL IS THAT TURN IT OFF." I can hear it happening when I do the mic test in the TF2 options menu, but what's weird is that it doesn't happen in the test in Steam proper. I did see one thread on SPUF that seemed to be the same thing, but because I still have to wait for a moderator to approve my new account (argh), I couldn't chime in.

Updated from the dev versions of MetaMod and SourceMod to the latest stable versions (since they now work).

You shouldn't see any obvious differences with these, but I like to keep on stable versions instead of dev/beta versions for obvious reasons. ;)

Also: Does anyone know if the game crashes less often if you disable Multicore Rendering?

Also: Does anyone know if the game crashes less often if you disable Multicore Rendering?

My game crashes less often when I disable multicore but I also lose the FPS boost. I have found that running Gamebooster while multicore is enabled fixes the crashing problem.

I don't even have a multi-core processor, but I managed to crash twice attempting to pick a class last night. (Heavy both times, too...maybe he doesn't like me.) Hopefully Valve gets working on some fixes once Monday rolls around.

Oh, and I hope Brushfire managed to get IJ's messages to him at some point, because there were some real winners who joined BLU right after he left last night.

A required update for Team Fortress 2 is now available. The specific changes include:

- Fixed a server crash that could occur if TFBots were used across map changes

- Fixed a client crash caused by weapons with attached models

- Fixed a material system crash

- Fixed a client crash with dynamic model loading

- Fixed a few backpack images not drawing correctly

- Fixed listen servers sometimes not authenticating with Steam (not being able to use Offline Practice)

- Fixed the "itemtest" command

- Fixed players not being able to access their backpack loadout

- Updated the localization files

Updating servers now.