OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

I would if any of the servers I played on had replays.

I'm kinda mad, too, I totally had an awesome candidate for Most Extreme Stunt. Server didn't have replays on.

So, I'm on Badwater offense. I'm a Soldier, with a Medic backing me up. We're fighting for point 2. We're on the roof. I see a level 3 sentry around the corner, near the RED's spawn shortcut gate. We go downstairs, Medic pops Uber on me. I throw my currently two loaded rockets at the sentry, immediately switch to my shotgun, pop a couple shells into it...

Then, I get BLASTED TO THE ROOF OF THE SKYBOX.

I proceed to frantically spray shotgun pellets into the sentry. I manage to kill the sentry as I'm falling.

THEN, the Medic manages to re-Uber me to save me from dying a would-be glorious falling death, and we manage to get out alive.

GOD I WISH REPLAYS WERE ON

I think I will run through this small vent swinging my equalizer. Wait, did I just kill a Spy? Awesome! Better taunt so he knows how good I am.

Well, that too. But it's the fundamental map design. On the one hand, Turbine is arguably the most well balanced CTF map in TF2, mostly because it's unnecessary to fight past the enemy spawn room to get to the intelligence. On the other hand, there's absolutely no cover anywhere except in the middle room. It's a giant 512 unit wide hallway the entire way around. It reeks of poor map design, and I'm convinced that the only reason the left hallway bends the way it does is for map optimization reasons. Also, I don't think the visuals also aren't up to par with any other map in the game, but that's secondary, not to mention subjective.

tl;dr boring map layout

Our very own ThndrShake&Bake2k managed to get this gem:

If we're posting our replays, I managed to snag these two while Replays were enabled on RED:

Now, as for Replays, we will investigate them again once Valve patches around the replay bot taking up an extra slot.

In other news, as soon as I iron out one or two more bugs in Mapchooser Extended 1.5 and test one or two more things I didn't get a chance to, I'll likely push it out to BLU and RED.

Indeed. I usually enjoy Turbine myself, though, except when it turns into "One team camps the middle and makes things near-impossible for the other team."

This tends to happen a lot on the 24/7 Turbine servers, or anything with quick respawn times.

Incoming update today... don't know when, but according to Jon Lippincot (jonL @ valve), says it'll fix the replay slot count bug.

I'm also fixing an issue with the server config that lets all textures and things (including those for wallhacks) be used on the first map following a server start.

Edit: Before I forget, RED will be swapped over to the event server configuration tomorrow morning... because I'll be gone until after the event starts that evening.

This tends to happen a lot on the 24/7 Turbine servers, or anything with quick respawn times.

Or any round of Turbine ever. It's one of the reasons I don't like it as well as other CTF maps, although my least favorite is ctf_sawmill... I've always disliked sawmill in all its forms, but as I recall, CTF closes off the side paths that are open in the other modes (koth, arena), making them only useful to Soldier and Demoman.

Anyway, while it does require you to fight somewhat close to spawn, Doublecross is likely still my favorite ctf map.

ctf_well also has an alternate route that lets you largely avoid the spawn area... managed to cap intel at least twice in the same round doing that as a Spy one of the recent times I played. The enemy team didn't seem to realize that placing a sentry near their spawn was useless because of the third floor route.

Doublecross is a lot of fun for just fooling around late at night when everyone's kind of punchy, too. Goofy stuff tends to happen on that map as a rule.

And man, I almost forgot about Well. It doesn't seem to get much playtime on the servers in either CTF or CP mode.

Doublecross requires a solid team effort, just because there's so many ways to slip in if you leave yourself unprotected. Still one of my favorite maps in the hands of two competent teams.

I think Doublecross is my favorite CTF map, even though I'm not terribly fond of the mode itself for various reasons. If anything else it seems to be Valve's attempt at "2Fort done right," especially since early development sketches made explicit comparisons to 2Fort's player flow. I think the biggest improvement is the dropdown into the sewer near the intelligence, which offers an easy way out of the base without having to fight past spawn again. (Come to think of it, there are a lot of shortcuts that involve dropping from a height you can't get back up. Food for thought.)

those are the only two I can think of, which is sort of sad

we need more good ctf maps

Well once I finish Launchpad I'll get on that. (Too bad I operate on Valve Time's older brother, apparently.)

A required update for Team Fortress 2 is now available. The specific changes include:
Team Fortress 2
- Added a "Show in Backpack Order" setting to the loadout slot select screen
- This flag also affects the Quickswitch dialog
- Updated the Furious Fukaamigasa, the Hero's Hachimaki and the Connoisseur's Cap to be craftable
- Updated the localization files
- Replay
- Added a new command line parameter "-replay" that will increase maxplayers by 1 at startup and automatically execute replay.cfg for the server
- Fixed another bug that caused Mac replay renders to be blurry
- Fixed a bug where Replay FTP offloading was not using "replay_fileserver_offload_port"
- Improved detection of Replay server config problems
- Replay is automatically disabled on servers if the Replay publish test fails
- Saved Replay movies that were exported as TGA's/WAV will report more descriptive errors if YouTube(TM) upload or "Export" is attempted

Updating now.

I've made a few minor changes, too... I've enabled replays... I've also disabled the slot count change in the server config so I can see what the slot count appears as. Edit: Appears as 0/25, adding the fix back in to restore it to 24.

Edit: Today's update stealth-added a bunch of new models to the game. Mostly Scout stuff... files are titled Scout Medallion and Scout Sword.

Server machine has been restarted. BLU and RED are now back up and operational.

Oh, and they can finally talk to updates.sourcemod.net properly (this was a problem with the old version of Linux). BLU immediately grabbed updated gamedata on start.

Replays are enabled on both servers now, along with SourceTV. Let me know if you see any slowdown issues.

Due to mandatory required maintenance, your normal RED server has been replaced with a live target gallery for sadistic admins.

SourceTV and Replays are both watching.

I've added a few new special features to the event server (7 new plugins) just for those fun loving and evil admins. I've also promoted all current admins to super admin level on said server, so they can that much more abusive.

Oh, and you get to beta test Mapchooser Extended 1.5 and Mapchooser Extended Sounds 1.1, simply because that's the server I was testing it on.

I hope you like the new voting sounds. Oh, almost forgot to mention: The Mapchooser Extended sounds plugin uses a configuration that uses sound files you already have (yay!) because they're part of TF2.