OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

Valve decided to have a required TF2 update during my work day today.

Required updates for Team Fortress 2 are now available. The specific changes include:

- Added a new command line option: -strictportbind

- If you launch the game with this option it will quit with an error message if it can't bind to the default or specified port

- Fixed a server crash caused by the replay system

- Fixed a server crash caused by disguising spies

- Fixed a server crash on startup caused by writing to the console

- Fixed a server crash triggered during entity cleanup

Servers are now updated. This update also supposedly added the ability for the birds found in maps to fly.

Additionally, the TF2 Beta was updated:

Gameplay:

Pyro:
The Detonator:
Flares now detonate on impact with the world, but with a greatly reduced radius (manually detonated radius unchanged)
Replaced +20% increased blast damage with +20% increased self blast damage

Medic:
The Quick-Fix:
Lowered heal and charge rates to 40% (from 50%)
New sounds

General:

Main Menu changes:
Added a "Start Playing" option which presents users with various game modes to choose from. Once selected, the game matches the player into the best available server for that mode.
Payload
King of the Hill
Attack / Defense
Payload Race
Control Points
Capture the Flag
Quick Play (finds best server based on ping, number of players, etc)
Crafting interface reworked
Item load-out interface reworked
Training:
New training user interface
Added "A,W,S,D" movement instruction to Soldier training
Added ammo instruction to Engineer training
Clarified many instructional strings
Voting:
New sounds

So... the Detonator and the Quick Fix was too powerful?

I'm glad they're still wanting to get these passed. I really wanna see the Quick Fix get in the game.

The Detonator got buffed, not nerfed. Before, the Pyro took extra damage from all explosives if he the Detonator equipped. Now, it's only extra damage from his own explosives. Also, it now explodes when it hits a wall.

As for the Quick Fix, I'm not too surprised it got nerfed a bit. While not as powerful as the Medigun, it is close to it in power.

The Detonator got buffed, not nerfed. Before, the Pyro took extra damage from all explosives if he the Detonator equipped. Now, it's only extra damage from his own explosives. Also, it now explodes when it hits a wall..

Aha.

..I really gotta get on this beta sometime. Detonator still sounds generally like an upgrade from the Flaregun though.

Aha.

..I really gotta get on this beta sometime. Detonator still sounds generally like an upgrade from the Flaregun though.

Except it doesn't explode on contact with people... only if you right-click or it hits a wall.

Or so the description says.

Hey, so it is. I saw the boxed copy for $10 in Best Buy, but I didn't realize it was at that price point on Steam too. I have one or two people I might be able to convince to buy it if it's that cheap.

It's been a good week for hats here. I decided to give that Spiral Knights game a try, and I fooled around in it long enough to get the promo hat...it's decently fun, but I can't see myself sinking dozens of hours to it. I also found a Sergeant's Drill Hat on a trade server for two Refined, so now I have entirely too many good hats for my Soldier. I should probably try looking for stuff for the three or four classes that I don't have a class-specific hat for yet.

I find myself eagerly awaiting the next time I can play Spiral Knights (when the mist energy refills completely). Then again I get addicted to MMO-style games pretty easily.

Love the Spiral Helm for the soldier, too.

I've got hats I love for every class except the sniper really. Plus it's funny when people are like "WHERE IS YOUR HEAD MR PYRO" due to that weird bug with the Killing Floor mask.

I don't know, it just doesn't seem like you would mark a game down to $15 so quickly and then sale it for $3 unless it just wasn't selling very well.

Well, nevermind. I had no idea TF2 was only $9 now.

MNC's starting price point was $15.

Valve has posted The Über Update, Day One

Today is Mobster Monday, introducing new weapon sets for the Heavy and Spy and a new Payload map: Barn Blitz.

New weapons are:

Heavy

Name: Tomislav

Slot: Primary

Type: Minigun

+75% faster, silent spinup time

20% slower firing speed

Name: The Family Business

Slot: Secondary

Type: Shotgun

+40% clip size

-15% damage done

Name: The Eviction Notice

Slot: Melee

Type: Fists

+50% firing speed

-60% damage done

Spy

Name: The Enforcer

Slot: Secondary (Primary)

Type: Revolver

+20% damage done

0.5 sec increase in time taken to cloak

Name: The Big Earner

Slot: Melee

Type: Knife

+30% cloak on kill

-25 max health on wearer

Name: The Made Man

Slot: Misc?

Type: Flower

A gentleman always has a flower handy to drop on an opponent's grave.

Also, this week is a week-long free-weekend.

Meet the Medic has been confirmed.

The update is scheduled to hit on Thursday, June 23rd or so it looks.

Well now. Guess I should have held off on a few of those crafts the other day.

Yeah, I was warning everyone who was listening to hold on to one of each weapon because the only other time Valve has done double drop rate is when there are a lot of things required for crafting.

Specifically, they did double drop rate during the Golden Wrench thing.