OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

Are we still in need of money?

The whole point of me testing the other box for this was to determine that.

We've determined that one server can operate just fine.

ON A DIFFERENT TOPIC, Valve just posted this moments ago to the hlds_linux mailing list:

Hi all' date=' a heads up to TF2 and CS:S server operators -

A near-future update (not necessarily the next one) will change the way that framerate is handled in the dedicated server. All users, especially those with very low pings, should receive a smoother gameplay experience with less jitter and more consistent-feeling latency.

Another effect of these changes is that all Orange Box (TF2, CS:S, etc) dedicated servers will run with a locked framerate, similar to L4D/L4D2. The fps_max convar will not have any effect on servers. (It remains as a client option since limiting your FPS can reduce GPU heat and overall power consumption.)

Although we don't normally give notice before updates, this is a potentially disruptive change for the server rental market, so those who currently charge premiums for "higher framerates" should probably start considering their options now.[/quote']

Essentially, this means the server fps will be locked down, which eliminates the need for server operators to determine what fps their servers need to run at... ours run at max_fps 500, if you're curios, although I'd dropped that to 300 (the default) before to see if that fixes any problems.

Does a server running at 300 fps mean the max fps for a player connected to that server is 300, or that the maximum frames that server can render total per second is 300?

From what I can tell, neither. The server FPS is actually how many frames the server itself processes that it can send to clients. As such, it should always be higher than the FPS clients use.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I unlocked old RED this morning.

I'm in talks with the other admin on my other server to see if he has the list of IPs allocated to us so I can up additional servers.

I approve

I only watched the first couple minutes... but that definitely looks like it'll be interesting. Wondering how the Spy's disguise mechanic would work in a side-scroller like that, though.

As is par for the course, I am continuing my little series of goofball footage videos... I'm not sure if I've linked the first one here yet, but I know the second will be new. I'm a little happier with the former than the latter... but hope everyone enjoys both.

I'm going to wait until I see them in action to make a final judgement, but my first impression is hilariously OP. "It's weak against buildings! But still shuts them down for 4 seconds! That's a weakness!"

From what I understand, they have a recharge timer. Or at least there was a HUD element thingy that downloaded in the server files for an energy meter.

I'm going to wait until I see them in action to make a final judgement, but my first impression is hilariously OP. "It's weak against buildings! But still shuts them down for 4 seconds! That's a weakness!"

Also the charged shot does over 100 damage and ignites the target.

From what I understand, they have a recharge timer. Or at least there was a HUD element thingy that downloaded in the server files for an energy meter.

It does. From what I hear there's enough energy for 5 shots before it empties, while a charged shot takes up the whole meter.

Sentries are literally useless now. You cant even dispenser tank since the alt shot also knocks out your dispenser, and you take splash. So two shots in the dustbowl window and you're dead and your sentry is in the red. It's literally more useful for dropping sentry nests than ubered demos

Charged shot is hilariously OP

Infinite ammo means you can camp spawns like a pro

Crafting pattern is blackbox + reclaimed. Batallions backup + reclaimed for the pistol (which is pretty awful). Have fun before it gets nerfed.

Do all shots from the laser launcher disable Sentries or just the charged shot? I've heard both.

I've also heard that the regular shots do like 1/8 of a Level 1's HP each to buildings, so idk.

Only the charged shot, and it does piddly damage to buildings. The charge also can't be stopped once you start, so if you hit Mouse 2... you're in for that charge for the three seconds, along with the slower movement rate while you charge. The charge attack does mini-crits to all player targets... and also sets them on fire for some reason.

Both laser effects are reflectable.

The problem right now with the new primary (and this is purely from observation and what others have said):

1. Limitless supply of ammo.

2. Has 5 shots before reloading, rather than 4.

3. Does the same (or more) damage as the normal Rocket Launcher.

4. Has an alt fire that shoots all 5 charges at once (after a short charge time). That shot not only does mini-crit damage, but disables nearby buildings and sets anyone in its splash radius on fire.

It's downsides are:

1. No random crits (and this is *after* Valve removed that attribute from a shitload of other weapons)

2. Does less damage to buildings.

In other words, this is almost a straight upgrade to the rocket launcher. I expect nerfing to occur quite quickly.

Edit:

If the servers randomly crash, I'm sorry. There have been widespread reports of random server crashes on the hlds_linux mailing list. It's not related to any addons or mods, as it reportedly still occurs with replays and addons disabled.

The problem right now with the new primary (and this is purely from observation and what others have said):

4. Has an alt fire that shoots all 5 charges at once (after a short charge time). That shot not only does mini-crit damage, but disables nearby buildings and sets anyone in its splash radius on fire.

I agree with point 2 and part of 4 for problems with it. I'd be fine with it having 3-4 shots, and the fire addon needs to go. Mini-crits in a blast is enough, no need to burn too.

Edit:

If the servers randomly crash, I'm sorry. There have been widespread reports of random server crashes on the hlds_linux mailing list. It's not related to any addons or mods, as it reportedly still occurs with replays and addons disabled.

blu did crash horribly well, minutes after you posted this. Fireslash got it restarted.

Only the charged shot, and it does piddly damage to buildings. The charge also can't be stopped once you start, so if you hit Mouse 2... you're in for that charge for the three seconds, along with the slower movement rate while you charge. The charge attack does mini-crits to all player targets... and also sets them on fire for some reason.

Both laser effects are reflectable.

I saw a minisentry take 2 charged shots and several regular shots before blowing up. Quite amusing.

It's downsides are:

1. No random crits (and this is *after* Valve removed that attribute from a shitload of other weapons)

2. Does less damage to buildings.

In other words, this is almost a straight upgrade to the rocket launcher. I expect nerfing to occur quite quickly.

Ye gods.

Lose the extra shot and the afterburn on charged shots (seriously, why is that even there?) and come up with a more creative downside than nocrit. (Inability to rocket jump would be hilarious, dunno if it's going too far though.)

Also the projectiles for the damn thing have somewhere in the neighborhood of 4k polygons. (For reference, the Pyro has around 4.5 k when rendered at maximum detail.) That's on top of the giant particle effects flying everywhere. YAY OPTIMIZATION!