OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

In a pub environment where people end up mindlessly going for kills more than trying to work together and accomplish goals, its really easy to tunnel vision and just start mindlessly slamming your head against the opponent.

If you decide to play again Hoopy, next time you play remind yourself that you and every other player are vulnerable and can die easily when outnumbered. Try and work together and stick close to your teammates. Don't run around completely alone, stick with your buddies and look for openings for attack.

I know you play Pyro a lot, which is a class that many would argue is significantly underpowered in a lot of situations.

Just so you all know, I will not be showing up on the server again.

I'm giving up on TF2, possibly for good.

I just can't play well enough to match up with the regulars on the server.

DUDE

I, like, suck at this game.

I get my arse handed to me on a silver platter every time I play OCR's servers.

Any regular who's seen me can probably attest to that.

But I don't care.

I keep playing anyways.

PLAY ON

oh and don't listen to brush give me all your items :D

@brushfire Just to spite you, I'm gonna craft all my weps to untradable metal and all my hats to hatless ones.

But seriously I'll reconsider leaving permanently. I just feel useless to any team no matter what i do right now.

Oh and powerlord, I wasn't kidding when I said to give the reserved slot to someone else. I really don't need it.

@brushfire Just to spite you, I'm gonna craft all my weps to untradable metal and all my hats to hatless ones.

But seriously I'll reconsider leaving permanently. I just feel useless to any team no matter what i do right now.

Oh and powerlord, I wasn't kidding when I said to give the reserved slot to someone else. I really don't need it.

don't worry i'm really not the best either, the nice thing about tf2 is losing isn't really a big deal. unless you're playing competitively in which case it does but no one flames over games at ocr server do they?

if they do things have changed since i've been on

This is about the most casual regular-type server that I've seen. Hell, almost every round we have one or two people doing something goofy, and no one gives it a second thought.

I will confess to being irritated when half our team stops for a Heavy picnic on ctf_well when an enemy Scout continues to cap our intelligence repeatedly, but in general this is true.

It's easy to get that feeling after being thrown onto the side that gets rolled more than once.

The trick is to realize that if it's irritating you, and scrambles aren't happening, take a break and come back in a few hours.

As for classes itself, offline practice vs bots works surprisingly well in getting the kinks out. I've gotten myself pretty good at Sniper by just endless bot practice. Pick a class and see what you can do. Go Soldier and see if you can pop people into the air then nail them again. Go Pyro and practice poofing. Go Scout and practice being an ADHD son of a bitch will you stay fucking STILL FUCK you and your named scattergun.

If you want to test your team's intelligence, go Medic. If they don't protect you, there's no hope for them. Teamswitch or go to another server.

It's easy to get that feeling after being thrown onto the side that gets rolled more than once.

The trick is to realize that if it's irritating you, and scrambles aren't happening, take a break and come back in a few hours.

As for classes itself, offline practice vs bots works surprisingly well in getting the kinks out. I've gotten myself pretty good at Sniper by just endless bot practice. Pick a class and see what you can do. Go Soldier and see if you can pop people into the air then nail them again. Go Pyro and practice poofing. Go Scout and practice being an ADHD son of a bitch will you stay fucking STILL FUCK you and your named scattergun.

If you want to test your team's intelligence, go Medic. If they don't protect you, there's no hope for them. Teamswitch or go to another server.

Or if you want, you can be like me and play every class a bit. But then I'm insane (and somehow still in the top 50, sometimes top 30, if anyone counts rank as important, which I don't). I basically just play a class I feel like until I get tired of it and then I switch. Above all, I make sure I"m having fun. If not, I say "eh" and go play Fallout for a week or something.

Everything in moderation, my good Hoopy! (And I was serious before, I think you're awesome and don't want you to go D: )

Personally, I think you have very bad luck. Hoopy. I don't really see you make a lot of mistake, but deaths always find you around the corner for some reason.

Doesn't help that we got insane Heavy like Frogg, Spy like Paranoid, Demo like Jimm on the server to discourage the rest of us.

Personally, I think you have very bad luck. Hoopy. I don't really see you make a lot of mistake, but deaths always find you around the corner for some reason.

Doesn't help that we got insane Heavy like Frogg, Spy like Paranoid, Demo like Jimm on the server to discourage the rest of us.

As for going spy,

Never believe people who tell you Frogg can not be back stabbed. I have done it on numerous occasions. Rather than hate and get discouraged and ragequit with how he turns around all the time, keep trying until you get it right. Strive for the Froggstab and you will feel like you've become a good spy.

Another good thing about playing on a server with really good people is that you can watch their techniques and try to emulate them. I know Frogg has affected how I play Heavy, and while I'll never be a quarter as good as him, it's definitely improved me.

As for going spy,

Never believe people who tell you Frogg can not be back stabbed. I have done it on numerous occasions. Rather than hate and get discouraged and ragequit with how he turns around all the time, keep trying until you get it right. Strive for the Froggstab and you will feel like you've become a good spy.

I can't even backstab a bot. >.<

I would say the only thing that annoys me sometimes is seeing a situation where some quick, easy teamwork would make something much easier (Destroying a GM sentry for example) but just no one steps up to the plate to make it happen. I feel like calling it out and saying, "Okay guys, lets do this. We need two medics..." etc. but I get the impression everyone will just ignore me. Instead we beat our heads against whatever is blocking us (GM sentry) for 6-8 minutes when a tiny bit of coordination would have it down in less than 3.

(And I was serious before, I think you're awesome and don't want you to go D: )

I will second this.

As for getting better on the OCR server, I found it helpful to either spec or just outright stalk the players I thought to be the best in each class. Sniper -> Lumpy, Spy -> Paranoid/Powerlord, Heavy -> Frogg, Demo -> Krug, Scoot -> Necro, etc. Not only did it help to become better at each class, I could avoid getting my ass handed to me as often.

I would say the only thing that annoys me sometimes is seeing a situation where some quick, easy teamwork would make something much easier (Destroying a GM sentry for example) but just no one steps up to the plate to make it happen. I feel like calling it out and saying, "Okay guys, lets do this. We need two medics..." etc. but I get the impression everyone will just ignore me. Instead we beat our heads against whatever is blocking us (GM sentry) for 6-8 minutes when a tiny bit of coordination would have it down in less than 3.

Honestly, I think most people would listen to you. It doesn't even matter who's saying it; just the fact that someone has a plan can get things done.

I promise I don't try to discourage anyone on purpose. D:

As for going spy,

This is true. I've dominated him, albeit rarely, so it can be done. You just can't rely on walking up to him in disguise and hoping he doesn't notice you. He WILL blow you away if you try that.

I can't even backstab a bot. >.<

Bots have an absurd Spy sense, or at least they did last time I played. Something to do with how they already know you're a Spy but are programmed not to do anything until you blow your disguise I think. They may have changed the behavior though, I haven't played against bots in a while.

This is true. I've dominated him, albeit rarely, so it can be done. You just can't rely on walking up to him in disguise and hoping he doesn't notice you. He WILL blow you away if you try that.

Walk up to him right after he spychecks randomly. Works like a charm. That and catching him around corners. It works better because you don't have to be visibly behind him when he spychecks until it's too late (for him).

Bots have an absurd Spy sense, or at least they did last time I played. Something to do with how they already know you're a Spy but are programmed not to do anything until you blow your disguise I think. They may have changed the behavior though, I haven't played against bots in a while.

Since Bots are better than I thought...

I couldn't backstab a blind noob who didn't have thumbs.

THE POINT IS I can't play spy too well.

I've never even gotten a domination.

Well, one. But that's all.

I can't even play my best class on this server (sniper) because i stink so bad :P

Quite honestly, though, getting frustrated and not playing on a server because the players are good won't get you anywhere. If you're not challenged to play better, you simply won't get better. People who play in pub servers all the time may feel like they're good players, but only because they've learned how to beat minimal first-order tactics. As soon as they jump into a server with 'pro' players, they get their butt kicked.

I've found pushing myself to play on the OCR server to really help my skill-level, limited though it may be. And, although I feel like punching my fist through the monitor on some nights, it's a total blast on others.

Let playing with expert players be a motivating and learning factor, not a reason to quit. ;)

Sorry, I've been busy... storms yesterday (which is why I didn't respond to you yesterday Hoopy) and an 11 hour work + class day today.

The level of skill on our server is not just a little higher than on pub servers, but rather a lot higher. If you don't believe me, play on a random pub server sometime and see how much easier it is playing there.

Also, some people have really bad luck. For example, I played a Demoknight the other day... and if I charged at an enemy, somehow, it seemed like around half the time, Frost Bite would somehow end up right in front of me.

For that matter, I got several daily awards on Tuesday... some were for using uncommonly used weapons (oh, and meleeing with the Amputator on Degroot)... one of which was "Most Dominated," one of the few negative awards. Lets just say I wasn't doing my best on most maps.

Yesterday, I changed away from Medic on Thunder Mountain because I kept dying almost every time I left spawn.

I know Medic is one of your regular classes, Hoopy, but it's also one of the most targetted, and sometimes it just sucks. :/

Then again, sometimes a good Medic is literally the determiner on whether a team wins or loses.

I can attest to that bad luck.

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of nights where I wasn't killed by a non-crit once.

There's also those times where your backstab victim is (apparently) so engaged in a firefight with one of your mates, then he just FUCKING RANDOMLY DOES A 180 AND BLASTS YOUR FACE INSTEAD