OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

All I know is I was hearing complaints from quite a few regulars yesterday. I can't say where they are located in North America, only that the people I know who weren't having problems, myself included, are in the mid-west US.

I'm in the Northeast (PA) myself, and I haven't experienced any significant lag issues since the previous server move. Guess I'm just getting lucky.

And sweet, Pyro boosts. I can get behind that.

I'm in the Northeast (PA) myself, and I haven't experienced any significant lag issues since the previous server move. Guess I'm just getting lucky.

And sweet, Pyro boosts. I can get behind that.

Server's currently located in Scranton, PA, so I would hope you aren't having issues with it.

However, at least one east coast US regular is experiencing issues (and likely all west coast US/Canada users are).

Server's currently located in Scranton, PA, so I would hope you aren't having issues with it.

However, at least one east coast US regular is experiencing issues (and likely all west coast US/Canada users are).

I haven't noticed any large amounts of server lag that couldn't be explained by machine lag/issues. I think there are some issues with some dropped packets (things jumping, not being able to see certain projectiles, spys being completely invisible until they stab me, stuff like that.)

What sort of levels of server can we go up too?

I haven't noticed any large amounts of server lag that couldn't be explained by machine lag/issues. I think there are some issues with some dropped packets (things jumping, not being able to see certain projectiles, spys being completely invisible until they stab me, stuff like that.)

Machine lag/issues doesn't explain why some people have issues and others don't. Unless you meant client machine issues, and I'm not going to assume everyone started experiencing client issues at once except a select few.

What sort of levels of server can we go up too?

I'm not really sure what you mean by that. As for server FPS, I was sticking with the default when looking at new servers, particularly since Valve has said that they're going to lock server FPS in a future Orange Box 2009 engine update (which TF2 uses).

2. Lease an individual game server.

Lets face it, we rarely use both servers at once. This would make it more difficult to hold special events, as we'd have to reconfigure just the one server for it.

Now, I did some looking around at individual game servers based on locations we've used previously:

Gameservers.com, where our server was originally located years ago, is $1.29 per public slot. That means a 24-slot server is $29.99 per month.

XfactorServers, where our previous dedicated server was located, is $0.99 per public slot, but also has a 20% off coupon code that makes a 24-player server $19.01 per month.

In theory, I could cover the latter myself and leave reserved slots the way they are now.

Abadoss currently pays for a MineCraft server on multiplaygameservers.com and given that the MC server software is absolute garbage, it runs fairly well. If you ask nicely Aba (or me since he gave me the code) might even provide a referral code to help drop the price, which is $24/month or less if you do a 3,6 or 12 month plan. Not sure if it's what you are looking for in terms of server hosts, but it's a thought.

So hey, did anyone see what Valve's screwing around in the beta right now?

--- September 29, 2011 ---

Pyro:

• Flamethrower:
    • Damage increased 10%

[*]Backburner:

• Removed +10% damage bonus

[*]Degreaser:

• Added -10% damage
    • Removed -25% burn damage

Or am I late to the party?

also for the record i approve of this change

Why? The backburner was finally good.

Now its shitty again.

Backburner damage hasn't actually changed. The +10% to flamethrower and elimination of the +10% on Backburner cancel each other out (since it's based on the Flamethrower's damage)... meaning it does the same as the basic flamethrower now.

I have a test server running at 206.217.136.11:27015.

I need people to test it to see if it's any better than our current server.

It's almost an exact clone of OCReMix BLU, but I left out the CustomVotes mod since none of those votes are working right now anyway (melee, scramble).

It also doesn't (yet) have replays enabled.

I also removed two maps that have other versions on the server. Specifically, cp_vector_v1 (ctf is still there) and cp_waste_v2 (pl is still there).

Not sure what other changes are there, but if they are there they are unexpected.

This particular host has one unexpected bonus: The server has its own fast download mirror and a control panel button I can press to sync it.

If we decide to keep this server, I will likely add control panel accounts for other admins to it so they can restart it if there are problems.

No complaints with the test server from me. Had a smooth connection, with lower ping to boot.

The new server seems to work pretty well.

I'm going to test replays on it tomorrow. I'm not sure if I can get it to work directly without involving the other machine or not. Working on just the one machine is a good thing, as it means replays wouldn't go down if the other machine did (which is how it already works on BLU/RED).

The new server is already tracked in HLStatsX and SourceBans.

Edit: One thing I noticed is that votecrits went away when the customvotes extension did. We'll have to bring that back.

It played about the same as BLU does for me, i.e. pretty darn smooth. Surprisingly low ping considering the box is out in Chicago, too.

Speaking of custom maps, there's a payload map called Boundary I've played several times that I wouldn't mind seeing added to the server. It has a fairly similar layout to Badwater.

Speaking of custom maps, there's a payload map called Boundary I've played several times that I wouldn't mind seeing added to the server. It has a fairly similar layout to Badwater.

Link for the curious.

There was another custom map that I had really liked, cp_upland. It's a Steel-type CP map with a metric fuckton of vertical play going on, especially at B and C. Link.

Not entirely TF2-related, but I just pulled off the Moustachium 608 level in SpaceChem after over two hours of tinkering with it tonight, and who knows how many failed attempts previously. I glanced at one or two solution videos on YouTube a while ago, but I actually solved it on my own, which is something very rare when I get that stuck on a game. Man, I earned that little pin.