OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

OCR TEST2 [test.ocrtf2.com:37215 / 69.65.43.229:37215] is operational again as a holiday server. I'm not sure if Reserved Slots are working, but I *think* they are.

I get a great ping on the server, to bad clanforge is a bitch.

I know; I'm asking us to MAKE one.

<late to the party>

Since escaping the underworld and Loot Island rewards you with Uber, Critboost, a speed buff, and (I think) an HP buff, killing players to prevent them from doing such constitutes a tactical decision IMO. This is only marginally a dick move on Loot Island, which gives you the Dive Into A Good Book achievement, which in turn gives you the Bombnomicon item, the first time you escape. Also of note is the medium HP pack in the underworld directly adjacent to two pumpkin bombs, which AFAIK is sufficient to kill all classes -- risk/reward. Thus I am against making such a policy.

Re: Killing people while they're occupied with Monoculous, I couldn't care less either way.

</late to the party>

I have no problem with getting killed while running through the underworld, but going after people on Loot Island does seem like kind of a dick move. Getting the special items/achievements is pretty much the whole point of the Halloween event, and if you don't know the person you're killing, it could be some random newbie who's already failed to get to the book portal several times. It's not like who wins or loses is vital when you're playing the same KOTH map over and over ad nauseam, so just let people have their fun.

Total dick move killing on Loot Island. Also seen pub people on other servers actually go pyro and sit at the top of the stairs killing people. Hope that doesn't happen on the OCR servers.

AFAIK if you stay on Loot Island too long after the cage disappears around the Bombnomicon, the game kills you anyway.

Could we get that switched to the old sound codec, too? Apparently my mic was inadvertently destroying some people's ears last night. Thanks so much for breaking that Valve.

Done. Honestly, I didn't do a lot of setup on this server.

Speaking of servers, I've updated SourceMod on BLU... and also installed MapChooser Extended 1.7 on it \o/ .

The new version of MapChooser Extended has a few changes, the most obvious of which that custom maps now have * in front of them rather than (Custom) after them. The other noticeable change is that the map order is now randomized before it's returned, meaning that nominations are not necessarily the first map on the list any more. And before you ask, this was a requested feature from a few months back.

One feature you and the rest of the world won't see is that this version has an optional dependency on my (still a work in progress) BuiltinVotes extension. Unfortunately, that extension needs to be updated for SourceMod 1.4 itself before real testing can begin.

So now that we're about a week into it, any thoughts on how the Halloween Event has turned out? I have to honestly say that I'm not much of a fan myself. The comic and overall concept of MONOCULUS were great, but frankly, Viaduct isn't the sort of map I can spend a long time on without things getting extremely boring; I think that push-CP in general is a much more dynamic gametype. It doesn't help that MONOCULUS spawns much too frequently for my tastes; I'd think that a single spawn per round would be more than enough for everyone to get the required achievements without turning things into drudgery. HHH's spawn rate last year was pretty close to ideal.

And the gifts? Ugh. Last year you just had to grind for nine of them, and Mann Manor was a big enough map that odds were good that you'd eventually find yourself near a few with no one else around. Now you have to do three times the grinding, and because the spawn points are so limited on a small map like Viaduct, there's almost always a crowd in the vicinity. (That's especially true in a trade server I frequent that's somehow disabled the control point entirely; there are usually six or seven people hovering right over the point when the gift is announced.) Even worse is when the gift spawns in the underworld, and you know you have no chance to get there, since you weren't lucky enough to be near a portal when it happened. I think I have only six costume pieces so far, one from winning a raffle, and I'm going be out-of-town this weekend, so I doubt I'll even get to the halfway point. Hell, I'm questioning whether I'll even bother going for any more at this point.

Yeah...I'm a bit frustrated. :P

I feel similarly, Top Gun. I only ever found one gift, but I got blown away by Monoculus before it actually materialized.

Instead, I've pretty much backed out of the halloween event entirely. I got my Book badge thing, I got the achivements. Everything else is only available on halloween, so not really worth my time in my opinion. Unless there's anything I didn't know about, that is.

In other news I may try to make a TF2-themed car in Forza 4. Any suggestions (car model, icons, color, etc)?

Instead, I've pretty much backed out of the halloween event entirely. I got my Book badge thing, I got the achivements. Everything else is only available on halloween, so not really worth my time in my opinion. Unless there's anything I didn't know about, that is.

Costume pieces are also available during the Full Moon, and I just so happen to have written a SourceMod plugin that allows me to turn Full Moon mode on all the time.

Oh, right, that's the other thing that sucks: less than two weeks' worth of event isn't nearly enough time to get everything unless you go into hardcore grind mode and/or have a ton of metal to trade for them and/or just buy everything. Since the Halloween stuff is now wearable during full moons, the least they could do is turn present drops on then too.

Oh, right, that's the other thing that sucks: less than two weeks' worth of event isn't nearly enough time to get everything unless you go into hardcore grind mode and/or have a ton of metal to trade for them and/or just buy everything. Since the Halloween stuff is now wearable during full moons, the least they could do is turn present drops on then too.

Well, one option that worked for me last year was finding a server that just had some kind people that would keep a list and either let the next person on the list find the gift, or trade what they found to said person. I suppose that would be rare though. I think they kicked anyone that was being a d-bag about it too.

I really don't see why they don't just make the gift like the Mann Co. store's single "Gift".

In other words, someone would pick it up and a random person (not necessarily the one who picked it up) would receive the contents. I think this would make everyone happier all around.