OCR TF2: Stab stab stab!

FireSlash

Good afternoon everyone. It's time to play another round of Test That Server!

Today's server is at 74.91.113.17|:27015 (soon to be test.ocrtf2.com:27015) which I set up earlier today.

If this server does well, we will be moving BLU to 74.91.113.17 and RED to 74.91.113.40 (located on the same server).

While this server is not strictly a dedicated server, we have two cores for our exclusive use, and I am hosting nothing but the two TF2 servers from this service. Oh, and we gain the working auto-updater that our old system had. \o/

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with Replay FTP offloading and Replay will soon be available across all servers, old *and* new.

Additionally, I hope to upgrade both SourceBans and HLStatsX to their recently released new versions this weekend.

Also, updated pl_swiftwater to final_rc.

All seemed well on the test server for me tonight. No hiccups, good ping, all that good stuff.

BLU and RED have now been moved over to the new server.

They're available on blu.ocrtf2.com:27015 / 74.91.113.17:27015 and red.ocrtf2.com:27015 / 74.91.113.17:27015.

The old BLU will remain up until the end of the month, but closed and with the new server address in it. The old RED will remain up indefinitely pointing to the new RED address.

Both servers have had their TF2 server IDs transferred to the new systems. The new servers should now be participating in HLStatsX CE and SourceBans.

BLU and RED have now been moved over to the new server.

They're available on blu.ocrtf2.com:27015 / 74.91.113.17:27015 and red.ocrtf2.com:27015 / 74.91.113.17:27015.

The old BLU will remain up until the end of the month, but closed and with the new server address in it. The old RED will remain up indefinitely pointing to the new RED address.

Both servers have had their TF2 server IDs transferred to the new systems. The new servers should now be participating in HLStatsX CE and SourceBans.

both of the server addresses are the same

what should i make of this

Whoops, RED is 74.91.113.40:27015

Anyway, the return of a decent second server also means the return of the events server, if we so choose. Any particular things people want to try out?

Prophunt was fun. Beyond that I'm not sure. Maybe that Vs. Saxton Hale mode? I've never tried it before.

Gonna experiment with some skin and model mods tonight... Just checking, but that's not gonna set off VAC or anything, right? I can have my own mods in place while I play your server, right?

Which reminds me, I actually need to PLAY your server :P

Skins, etc. are fine. I'm not sure what the sv_pure settings are though.

Skins, etc. are fine. I'm not sure what the sv_pure settings are though.

Actually, I may need to adjust the pure whitelist, as I didn't copy it over from the old server... and that tends to block certain custom things.

Edit: Updated now... I also tried to bring it up to date, somehow my last edits to this file got lost during the several server changes we did.

Speaking of updates, I updated the nemrun startup script, SourceBans (whose web interface stopped working properly sometime recently), and HLStatsX CE.

nemrun is the system that allows the servers to update, then auto-restart.

BuiltinVotes has been upgraded to 0.5.0.

MapChooser Extended has been upgraded to 1.8.0.

What these add:

• /revote and !revote now work with BuiltinVotes, but there is a 3 second delay due to how it works... the server shows you a generic vote failed screen ASAP (which has a delay on the client side), then as soon as possible it shows you the vote screen again. Sadly, the failure command is required because otherwise, if the vote redisplays, you can't change your choice. Incidentally, /revote and !revote are now blocked for the last 3 seconds of a vote, and I'm going to extend the vote time by 10 seconds.
  • Admins now have an mce_forcertv command. I don't recommend using it, but it was a requested feature. Basically, it starts an rtv-style map vote and changes the map as soon as its finished.
  • The rtv vote success message now makes more sense (it says "Changing level to" in English rather than "Set Next Level to")
  • rtv now has a countdown timer, just like the end of map vote does.

So, someone mentioned possibly having a Vs. Saxton Hale night on the event server.

Are people actually interested in this? Before you say no, I'm going to note that I already did a lot of setup for this already, although right now RED is still running its standard server (I have separate executables and settings for the event version).

I guess another question is, when should we have it? Unlike Prop Hunt, where you can have fun even with just a few people. Vs. Saxton Hale really requires a lot of people on at the same time.

New update

We've released a mandatory update for Team Fortress 2. The notes for the update are below.

Thanks.

-Eric

----------------------------------------

Source Engine Changes (TF2, DoD:S, HL2:DM)

- Added video options UI for Windows Vista / Windows 7 DirectX extensions. Disabling the extensions will increase memory usage, but can improve compatibility with video drivers.

Team Fortress 2

- Fixed wearable gibs spawning outside of the map

- Fixed some missing strings for the Backwards Ballcap

- Updated these items so they can be crafted and traded

- The Dr. Whoa

- The Dashin' Hashshashin

- The Sharp Dresser

- The Point and Shoot

- The War Head

- Updated the localization files

We'll see if the autoupdater works on the new server.

Also, I've been adding a bunch of maps to the event server for the Vs. Saxton Hale event. You can download them early, although more may be added to the list before game day. Some arena maps that already are in the game may also appear.

Edit: Auto-update completed successfully. BLU and RED were both restarted.

Edit 2: Has anyone tested replays on the new server? I keep forgetting to check it.

I've tentatively scheduled Vs. Saxton Hale 7pm EST / 4pm PST / 11:59pm UTC tomorrow, followed by an encore a week after that.

I wish people would suggest times for these events other than just the day, but eh.

If anyone wants to suggest other times or changes to one of the two, feel free.

Also, the expected map list is:

arena_badlands

arena_granary

arena_lumberyard

arena_pool_day

arena_sawmill

arena_towertop

arena_watchtower

arena_well

vsh_aperture_b2a

vsh_courtyard

vsh_crevice_b2

vsh_farm_feud

vsh_ram_shacked_b6

vsh_spotline_reworked

vsh_tundra_b3

vsh_warebloom_b7

vsh_west_fix

Several of the arena maps are standard arena maps. One of them is based on a koth map some of you may be familiar with... sadly, it wasn't a triumph and I'm not making a note here.

Before playing, you should be aware of Hale's specials. It also lists changes to weapons for balance reasons (such as Spy knives not killing Saxton Hale).

Also, I'm not sure if people will find the other character offensive or not. The other two that I know of (that appear randomly instead of Saxton Hale) are the Vagineer and Christian Brutal Sniper. I can switch them off if people dislike them.

Map time has been bumped up to 20 minutes, and each map can be extended 3 times. The first round on each map will be played as a normal arena round to ensure enough people join before the real round begins.

Edit:

Note: You WILL need server downloads enabled to play this correctly, otherwise the bosses will just appear as giant error signs. This means you, ParanoidDrone.

BLU is currently suffering from debilitating lag. Nearly impossible to play right now.

I've updated the startup for BLU and RED to set RDTSC_FREQUENCY=disabled. This fixed some weird issues we had on previous servers, I'm hoping it does the same here, too.

I've restarted RED, but not BLU.

Edit: If that doesn't help, I'll remove replays, then start seeing if any extension/plugins can be removed to fix it... it looks suspiciously like either server or network lag, but I can't actually tell which.

I updated SourceMod to 1.4.1 this morning.

After double-checking to make sure everything had gotten upgraded, I noticed three plugins that were not the versions they should have been:

1. SourceBans was still 1.4.8. Version 1.4.9 is the version of SourceBans the database and web server use.

2. Immunity4Replay was still 3.4.0. Version 3.4.1 that fixes issues with it potentially interfering with other plugins that do admin checks.

3. MapChooser Extended Sounds was still 1.2. Version 1.3 stopped using a deprecated forward.

So, now all of these have been updated to the correct versions, and hopefully fixes any potential bugs.

The servers now choose a random map on startup rather than starting up on a specific map.

Vs. Saxton Hale was mostly a success last night.

There were a few lag issues, although they weren't as bad as Friday night; I may still disable a few things to see if I can get the problem fixed.

The mode does a number of changes to weapons as well as disallowing some outright. See the TF2 wiki for balance details.

One thing the wiki failed to mention is that the boss characters can build up their superjump meter by holding the right mouse button.