OCR01200 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Into the Golden Sunset"

djpretzel

Simply doing this piece in a single instrument takes something away from it. I remember beating the game several times over and over, just to hear this song . I think it honestly needs to be orchestral, otherwise it just loses the magic.

I guess I really have no right to complain though, making a ReMix (Although this is closer to an arrangment) doesn't take away from the origional. If it weren't for the fact that I'm already deep within remixing another song I'd jump at a follow up to this, but would probably still fall short of the origional. Some songs just can't be done much better than when they were on the SNES. (*couch* Magus theme *cough*).

Well, no. I'm not very good with soundfonts and all that jazz, if I really intended to do something with a piano I'd record a live one. (If you look hard enough, there is always a friend of a friend who owns a piano, or an uncle, etc etc.)

And, well, it sounds like an improvisation, which is why I didn't really dig it much. Improvising on a song is all fine and dandy but you have to be really incredible to craft it really well and all that stuff.

Well, no. I'm not very good with soundfonts and all that jazz, if I really intended to do something with a piano I'd record a live one. (If you look hard enough, there is always a friend of a friend who owns a piano, or an uncle, etc etc.)

Yeah sure I've got relatives and friends who own pianos but honestly, how many people do you know that have pianos that are actually in tune and in good shape? I'm looking into possibly using one of the concert pianos at my college.

Very minimal piece. No bells, no whistles, no strings, no in-game samples.

No kidding.

This arrangement is beautiful, relaxing, and emotional; it's just what Link needs after a hard day saving the world. I love the expression in varied velocity - I read that the original version of this piece didn't have touch sensitivity, and I cannot bear to imagine this piece without it.

The extra high note at 3:08 is out of tune, just like many real pianos at that octave :wink:. From 2:56 on, it seems to be like Link is readying himself for rest, but is fighting sleep, and at 3:08 he just slumps over, respectfully, from exhaustion. After all, he just saved the world. Again. And a person watching just goes "aww..." as the rest of the piece is Link gingerly falling asleep clutching his pillow tight, getting his well deserved rest.

(everybody with me now) "Aww..."

A real piano would have been helpful for expressing the ending just a little bit better, as the piano sample loops the high note without decaying it (see 3:31 - 3:37). But all in all I like this remix a lot.

Bravo, BogusRed - I admire both your musical arrangement and your performance talent.

It was me playing the piano! I just recorded it through MIDI. If you were to listen to me play this song live, there wouldn't be much difference as far as skill level. The arrangement would be different however, because I play improvisationally. I play all the songs I know differently each time I play them.

...Do you still have the original recording through the MIDI keyboard? I'd like to learn this song if you'd let me. :D

It was me playing the piano! I just recorded it through MIDI. If you were to listen to me play this song live, there wouldn't be much difference as far as skill level. The arrangement would be different however, because I play improvisationally. I play all the songs I know differently each time I play them.

...Do you still have the original recording through the MIDI keyboard? I'd like to learn this song if you'd let me. :D

Yes I have the MIDI available for download here:

http://www.bogusred.net/mmdl/music/BogusRed-Into_the_Golden_Sunset.mid

Well, the arrangement end of this song is fairly good, giving a new age-ish take on this zelda theme. However, the performance was a little iffy to me. As a whole it feels very choppy: sometimes you seem to rush a bit, or an arpeggiated passage isnt very smooth. Things like this occur frequently throughout and it would have been better if more time had been spent on the performance. However, much of what I said could be due to you playing it differently each time; improvising differently with the theme each time. I know from experience in improvising on the piano how one changes the song each time its played, which does make the performance end less solid. I usually memorize almost all of a song of mine so that only one or two spots are constantly different, but that's just me. Anyway, moving away from the performance, the arrangement itself was nice, except for some spots where it didnt flow well.

2:36- There is a resolving chord, followed directly by a tense sounding one. It just doesn't sound right to me, and the change isn't smooth.

3:15- There is a space followed by a lead into the next part that sounds awkward.

The Ending- The lower chord after the high notes doesn't seem to fit, as it is rather random and unnecessary.

OK, so those are picky things but to me they hurt the piece. Overall, I think that the arrangement and performance is good but could definately been improved on.

~Blue

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone. My name's Elana, and I'm new here (so be nice! :wink: ). This arrangement, "Into the Golden Sunset" by BogusRed, literally moved me to create an account for these forums, just so I could comment on this breathtaking piece of work. I myself am not a mixer, and my only experience in musical composition involves about 6 years of piano lessons :oops: However, like the saying goes, I may not know art, but I know what I like. And I love this piece. I find the source material to be emotive and moving to begin with, and BogusRed's arrangement captures everything I love about the original. I can't stop listening to it. Thank you so much for doing one of my most beloved songs justice.

• 5 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01200 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Into the Golden Sunset"