OCR01201 - Final Fantasy VII "Truth in Forgiveness Await"

djpretzel

ah this is tifa's theme isn't it?

Yeah the beginning isn't too interesting, it's nice and mellow, but that brass instrument isn't great quality.

oh no, theremin's journey! I hate that lead. (The whistling sound.) too much slur on it.

This is well arranged, but it's boring to me. I've heard better arrangements of Tifa's theme. The piano arrangement off the soundtrack is great.

Not my type of piece at all unfortunately.

True, the mix does start kinda flat. And that Brass sound was kinda poor quality. But to be honest, FF7 started kinda flat, too. And the in-game music, in some parts, was of the same poor quality. (I'm thinking of Barret's theme.) So as far as I'm concerned, Risen Dayspring is just working off the source material. Besides, FF7 ended up being one of the greatest games of all time. The same is true for this mix. Keep up the good work RD.

I think at the beginning s/he was trying to use instruments similar to the actual game soundtrack. Then 2:40 he allows other instruments to take over the leads. This song is really really technical. Its amazing to think that this isn't live. It sounds too good. around 4:19 you should add a soundclip of a crowd cheering and clapping (like live concerts). Good song, very clear on the original, and yet very creative in bringing it out.

EDIT: isn't this Aeris' theme? (when u first go to her house after the church)

No good.

Boring song + Boring arrangement = Eh.

The thing doesn't move anywhere, it starts slow and STAYS slow. Adding instruments isn't doing anything other than running the thing into a wall repeatedly. There's no variation.

If the song was 1 minute long, maybe it wouldn't matter, but it's too long and doesn't do anything.

The instrument quality is subpar, but that's not really a problem to me. After all, it's all synthy anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

The song was pretty good in the beginning. I say "pretty good" because it seemed like I've heard this kind of mix before, especially for the FF's. But then the electric guitar kicked in...MAN, BEST heavy rock part I've EVER heard in ANY OCRemix. Nice job.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Got a little surprised when pretzeldude immediatly took up about this mix´s guitars. Guitars? Couldn´t imagine playing Tifa´s theme with an electric guitar, but now I do. The beginning was just like...eh, no sweet, BORING! But then it continued to something more interesting, piano, then some guitar, stayed that way a while, and then it rocked on the end with some cool and awesome el. guitar.

Dayspring made balance to the greatness to this song, super if I may call it. I´m agreeing with CykoticZZ, I´m gonna applaud to this one.

clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap

There.

• 2 months later...

Once I got into this, I felt it. It was unbelievable. I admit to getting a bit emotional while listening to this. In this remix, there's this unexplained beauty in different dimensions from the breezy sound at the beginning to the hard guitar at the end. No matter what, the beauty persists. Too bad no DJ at a school dance plays OC Remixes, cuz this would definitely be a perfect slow dance song ^_^ I applaud as well with standing ovation!

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I think this one I'm going to review in portions.

I enjoyed the first part of the song. While it does take some time to get into the main melody of Tifa's theme, I found the extra attention to the opening of her theme quite nice.

I have to admit that the quivery sound that plays in the background from 0:59 to 1:28 [i think that's the mysterious thing that djpretzel was mentioning in his write up,] drives me absolutely nuts. It reminds me of how whiny Tifa seemed in the game.

From 1:28 to 2:02 would have to be my favourite portion of the song. Much more upbeat than the original, and still fiting in with the song, making it much more enjoyable than the original song.

Between 2:02 and 2:16, it was a wee bit too powerful, considering the rest of the song has been much calmer, however it was led into well.

From 2:16 to 2:44 we once again return to a calmer atmosphere, but it sounds a bit strange when it picks up at 2:44 again. Still, it remained calm, which was quite nice.

But again it gets very rock at 3:30, killing the calm atmosphere again until about the last fifteen seconds.

Overall, I thought this mix was so-so. It would have been more enjoyable [iMO] if it were calm the entire time or rock the entire time. The constant ups and downs made it difficult to really grasp and enjoy the mix. So... Consistancy is my biggest problem with the mix [besides the quivering, of course. ^_^; ] The calm and energetic portions were equally good, though. :)

• 1 year later...

Pretty lofi beginning with some annoying sounds and a lot of hiss. I realize it is supposed to be rain, but it sounds like just tape hiss. When the drums come in the cymbal is amazingly loud.

I think this needs a large sound overhaul. There isn't really a single sample that sounds specifically good on this, and the mechanical sequencing and even guitar playing is pretty weak. :-(

It gets better in the final 20%, but the first 80% I don't like at all, sorry. :-(

• 4 years later...

Well, my friend told me the meaning of the title years ago....

Truth. In. Forgiveness. Await. = T.I.F.A.

And it was also one of the very first pieces that I heard on OCR back when I discovered the site in 2006. (wow, was it really that long ago?) I probably went through OCR's list like everyone else did. First I checked out songs from games I liked, then I checked out songs from artists that impressed me from the first list of titles. Then I just downloaded the whole of OCR and twice now I have listened to all of it from front to back alphabetically.

But this song came up as one of the firsts and I immediately fell in love with it. The idea of a piano in a piece like this (probably because the piano collections version is so popular) is just perfect. But then we start jamming out to the rock version at the end and it just ties it together beautifully and adds the finale that it needed.

It's just too bad that nothing from The Risen Dayspring ever came up again on the front page. I would have liked to have heard more from them.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01201 - Final Fantasy VII "Truth in Forgiveness Await"