OCR01202 - Zombies Ate My Neighbors "Neighburgers"

djpretzel

This must be on of the best remixes ever. I love the hard drums, guitar, orchestra hits and sound effects. There is many words describing this remix, but my choose is: AWESOME. And C'mon! You all know you love "Zombies ate my neighbors"! That game is a true badass!

I almost went crazy when I saw a new ZAMN remix...then I DID go crazy when I heard that Protricity made it.

I have to admit, this isn't my favorite remix by Prot, but it's one of the best. I love the original track, and the game itself. In the original, when that started playing, I could hear a monster going "Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah" to that tune. It's always sounded that way to me.

Ooooh.

I still own that game too. :D ZAmN still one of the best SNES games out there to date.

I still play it from time to time with friends, and damnit I STILL haven't beaten the darn thing. I keep dying. It really is a tough game to beat, especially in 2 player where you have to share items you find, and if you run out of a certain item, well then I'm sorry but you're screwed. ^_~ *laughs*

But yeah, the old "Big baby" track still cracks me up. One of the most frightening boss characters EVER. I mean, you get to pwn a BABY. (although you're by no means hurting or killing it, you actually end up helping it.) *laughs*

Errr, was I the only one who had the remix cut out on me at 4:39? I tried redownloading it from both the main site and the mirror with the same result. I'm using an old version of RealJukeBox but haven't ever had this problem before, and I have over 2000 mp3s. Anyone have a clue what the problem is?

this is good. this is really good. I'm ashamed to say that I never played this game, so I can't compare it to the original song, but it's obvious that this mix has been taken places the original couldn't possibly have gone. It's stuff like this that gets me excited about ocremix all over again.

I agree with you, potricity. This is your best. It's also one of the best mixes on ocremix. Keep up the good work.

Protricity's best? Definitely not.

Good? I'd say so, if you're into really cheesy music. I mean, really, I'm never gonna listen to this for any other reason than 'Well, there's some game music I wanna listen to.' It's quite over-produced too. Don't get me wrong, the production is really really good, there's just... too much of it. Lost its human touch.

Protricity's best? Try Brambles in the Breeze. That song blows me away every time I listen to it. And it isn't cheesy.

Brambles in the Breeze was certainly my favorite Protricity until this came along, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to the fact that I'm such a huge fan of bramble blast. I think it's already a great song, and he did some great things to it, but it's not as exciting as Neighburgers. Again though, I've never heard the original, so I can't compare, but I will go download the original track and check it out.

I'm not sure what you mean by cheesy in this context. I didnt' pick up on that at all. I actually thought the song had a very honest and sincere sense of humor. And it was heavily produced, but I don't think that it hurts the song, and is in fact one of my favorite things about it. I rarely hear songs with this amount of "stuff" going into it and having it all work together to produce a pretty amazing whole.

just listening to this song some more, and wow. it's just so good. okay, off to grab the original...

• 3 weeks later...

very cool stuff. From personal experience, I can tell you that it's very hard to make 'full' mixes like this one, and very hard to sequence guitars and solos in the kickass way Prot does. The whole mix is just amazing, with tons of energy and great synth/drum work. This is probably his best work, narrowly beating out KRool (which was also excellent).

This dude will never stop amazing me.

Neighburgers originally sounded like a cheesy-ass cover of a quirky tune, but after a few more listens, the complexity just oozes out.

The honky-tonk piano is spot-on. The harmonies that slowly eek in and out of the mix with that creepy ep make me feel all chilly inside. The transitions are abrupt, but at the same time refreshingly original. I LOVE the intricacy at sections like 2:34 that signify a huge amount of thought put into the presentation of even the minor details. As is standard in Protricity pieces, a high level of sonic detail is present, but this track totally takes the cake with sheer micromanagement of every timbre and rhythmic detail.

The bridge starting at 3:22 makes me want to cry, it's so damned good. Makes me feel all mushy. It's a simple section, but he's done well to keep it interesting with a very emotive progression and a wailing, melodramatic lead.

The odd thing is, I wouldn't say the sound quality is at all stellar, in fact it very much sounds tracked. But Prot has once and now - again, proved that a (very) firm grasp of EQ, mixing and solid arrangement can plow through any sample discrepancies.

I'm a fanboy. Count me in.

-D

I haven't already posted my comments? Okay, here they are:

Beautiful & eccletic remix. D/led the original and you've done a lot with the original theme, nice. I think it's rockin', creepy and very professionally done. Best Prot mix? It's right alongside Forest Birdcussion IMO, I don't get why people like Brainsick Metal past the arrangement...

But yes, a wonderful remix. Very delightfully devilish, keep up the good work Prot.

10/10

(Guess I should try this ZAMN game, people seem to like it...)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, i see the thread right as the song comes on. yay.

Cheesy or no, its amazing. Plus, look at the song name and the game its from.. i think its alright.

It rocks out hard, and has so much going on, it takes 3 listens just to figure it out. Not a mix for the intellectually inapt.

• 3 months later...
Wow, i see the thread right as the song comes on. yay.

Cheesy or no, its amazing. Plus, look at the song name and the game its from.. i think its alright.

It rocks out hard, and has so much going on, it takes 3 listens just to figure it out. Not a mix for the intellectually inapt.

Oh the irony.

Also a belated congratulations to Prot, thought there is some competition between this and Forest Birdcussion I must agree this is your best yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, it's good to see Prot took a break from DKC2 mixing and branched on to a game with Grit back when I was a kid.

This has a great mixture of alot of stuff that I enjoy. The honky-tonky piano made me smile, the organ is great, the orchestral hits are wierd but they work. This mix shows that Protricity has a great sense of humour when it comes to musicianship even if things seem a little loud and unequalized, and too distorted for my taste, IMO. Most of it seems tracked as Dan B. stated before, but I can look past that with an open mind.

What I see out of all this is a well-cooked receipe of the original quirk-ish track.

This remix makes me hungry! I want more Neighborgurs!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01202 - Zombies Ate My Neighbors "Neighburgers"