OCR01203 - Adventure Island "Tribal Warfare"

djpretzel

I love you, Ubik. If I were a female, I want your babies now! :lol:

Anyway, I heard this awhile back on VGMix and it is sweet! Nice industrial drums (constant garbage can bangin') with tribal percussion. I love the bass, too. The meatiest bass I've ever heard in a long time.

8) I will always be a Ubik fan! :D

Ahhh.. All the nostalgia! I love it!

Err.. actually, I haven't listened to this remix yet but the second I saw "Adventure Island" and the plump little hero you controlled, I freaked. I use to play Adventure Island II ALLLLLLLL the time when I was younger! I loved that game! It was so challenging and I would rent it every time my mom would drive me to the video store. Ahh.. Thank you for submitting an Adventure Island remix.. That made my day. :D

Drum'n'bass is a little bit fast and without pattern for most of people, but is a great rhythm genre. :evil:

Considering this aspect, this piece is very immersive and dark. Many changes and diferent breaks on the loops. Represents a very good work.

Something that the DnB lovers don't have to lose.

:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Super Adventure Island is a different thing though.

Super Adventure Island is the best imitation of early 90s dance music ever. "Big Zen" is even spot-on with the style of the KLF.

Which is why Double A Ron and myself dig both the SNES soundtrack and this shiznit!

• 9 months later...

Yeesh, why not more comments? Ubik did a great job on this one. These beats were definitely bringing the power in a big way. It's a shame we don't see more mix releases from Brian either here or at VGMix, as he's always got some great ideas and great sounds to back 'em up. Well worth the DL, and a track you could easily enjoy without being familiar with the source material. Definitely impressive.

• 2 months later...

I love the dark, frantic feelings behind the beat. The song is more of an ambient track, I find. That's not a bad thing in and of itself, mind you. It's just something that works better in the background, rather than a piece an individual can actively engage. Still, great work!

• 3 months later...

Adventure Island and Wonder Boy look so alike I thought they were from the same franchise. The latter used to be at the beer garden I used to go to with my family. Good times (never got past the second though, laugh at me).

The mix in question certainly ain't bad, but the overall lack of direction in this type of genre keeps me struggling to listen. Of course, that's just my taste- what it does it does very well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Wow this is pretty hot.

Very groove-based, With some heavy synth riffs, it sounds a lot more intense than I would except, given the source. It is more of a "decisive battle in a cave" track than anything else.

Though a lack of a strong melody makes it less interesting for repeat listens, it still is a really creative and quality mix.

• 1 year later...

Very surprising take on the source. Where the idea to create a D&B mix out of this track is beyond me, but I'm at least thankful it works. I actually disagree that this style of music doesn't lend itself to repeated listenings, because I find with most D&B that the intricacies are only broken down and digested through constantly adjusting expectations. I heard a lot more of the melodic aspects in my repeated listens, of what is a pretty sparing use of melody to begin with.

But hey, I'm probably just a slow listener.

I really love it when a mix's production quality matches it outside-the-box approach like is showcased here. A real surprise and one of the more faithful D&B mixes out there.

• 3 years later...

Oh Master Higgins. When I was a kid I wanted you to pick me as your Honey Girl, so that maybe you'd let me ride on your dinosaurs. :D (Then my mum got in the way of us by constantly borrowing the game to play the bloody slot machines... <_<)

This track? Appropriate for the hard stomping lightning or fire dinos. Just lovely really ^_^ Funkin the dark yeah! :P:D

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01203 - Adventure Island "Tribal Warfare"