OpenGL and RAM

Meteo Xavier

Yeah, this was weird. My dad's computer has been having trouble since the Superbowl. It starts up ok but then it just slows WAY THE FUCK DOWN. We virus scanned it, malware scanned it, removed junk and even fixed the fan inside of it and nothing worked.

Finally, the other night, me and my brother figured out what the problem was. Evidently OpenGL sucks up 60% of his RAM (I was shocked to learn he only had about 512MB of RAM in his computer, I thought he had more than that.) that's whats been driving his computer way down.

What we can't figure out is how he got OpenGL on his computer in the first place. He's a sound-tech guy, not a computer guy, and he doesn't use his computer for that much. Our brothers claim they didn't put it on there (which I don't fully believe, but anyway) so how did it get on there? How can it suck up so much RAM that it leaves the computer struggling to even close a window?

I didn't know having such a dearth of RAM could slow a computer down that much.

do you know what openGL is? it's just a high-end graphics API, not something that's going to eat resources like that. it's just a language. what you think is openGL is likely just your graphics drivers.

in other words, your father's shitty-ass graphics driver is eating his ram alive because he's got an integrated card and no one told the driver what the limit on ram was. likely from an update.

either get a discrete card for 25$ or buy some more ram. i'd suggest both. a 2gb stick of anything is only like 40$ nowadays.

do you know what openGL is? it's just a high-end graphics API, not something that's going to eat resources like that. it's just a language. what you think is openGL is likely just your graphics drivers.

in other words, your father's shitty-ass graphics driver is eating his ram alive because he's got an integrated card and no one told the driver what the limit on ram was. likely from an update.

either get a discrete card for 25$ or buy some more ram. i'd suggest both. a 2gb stick of anything is only like 40$ nowadays.

Hell at that rate for RAM I'd just buy him a whole new desktop. Shit's cheap these days.

Hell at that rate for RAM I'd just buy him a whole new desktop. Shit's cheap these days.

But why is this an issue now though? He's had that computer for 2-3 years and it didn't start doing this until February.

I'm going to suggest that to him myself whenever he gets back from his honeymoon. I doubt he'll go for it because for some reason he's an absolute belligerant bastard when it comes to computers, but I'll tell him about it. $40 is damn cheap - I might look into that myself.

I doubt he'll go for it because for some reason he's an absolute belligerent bastard when it comes to computers, but I'll tell him about it. $40 is damn cheap - I might look into that myself.

You could always just replace the damn thing and tell him to quit being a baby about technology. :lol: