Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom - training music

CC Ricers

Training stage music shouldn't kick this much ass, but in Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, it's one of my favorite tracks from the game. Well, here's my attempt to remix it and give it my own twist, which I think will be no easy feat considering how catchy the source already is.

This started out as a remix for another game track, and that's actually the part you hear in the beginning. Guess what game it's from!

By the way, I am using the (North American) instrumental version of the music.

stats.png

Old WIP

Original source:

the strings and guitar in the intro could use a little release, or a deeper reverb. i think the highest notes in the string stabs starting at :19 might sound better an octave down, but that's just a passing thought - i'm not bothered by it.

the drums are pretty infectious, and most of the synths are spot-on. the bass guitar sample is lacking. i'd try to push them a little further into the background, and maybe add some reverb or stereo spread.

pretty good stuff for the most part, and definitely a catchy tune. keep it up!

I hear you on the guitar. It's basically a 2-tone layer and got it sounding well considering the individual patches are average to decent.

I'm at a standstill at how I'm going to balance and set the EQ for the instruments, especially the drums. The problem mostly lies in the source music...its high end frequencies are very crisp and most of the OC remixes I've listened to do not have such emphasis on those frequencies, even the energy-packed mixes. It will be hard to recreate the punchy sound of the original without the high end boosts, though.

I could boost the highs without making the whole thing sound grating to the ears, but don't know how the judges would like using this approach. Either way, expect an update in a short while.

I agree with most of the comments Halc has already mentioned, particularly the bassline.

There's some weird instrument that I'm hearing that starts at :50 and goes until 1:00. It sounds like someone whistling or something similar to that to be honest. Not quite sure what that is, have any idea what I might be hearing?

Other than that, it sounds pretty cool thus far. Can't wait to hear more.

Oh yeah, that whistle sound. That's part of a combination of synth sounds where I was using a 4/4 beat to support the other drums, but it's not so much needed anymore so I'll probably get rid of it.

There's a newer version up now, I mostly did work on the drums and also improved the stereo panning and EQ so it doesn't sound so harsh.

Hmmm....I think I like the EQ you had in the first WIP to be honest. The second one seems like too much highend has been boosted and there's parts where, especially with the rhythmic bells keeping beat, that sound very thin and "tinny".

As for that bassline....this is all personal opinion but I'm really not digging that slap bass sample. (I'm guessing that's slap bass? Could be wrong?)