External Hard Drive Issue

Meteo Xavier

Just a few minutes ago I noticed my Terrabyte hard drive seems to have lost 60GB of hard disk memory. I went inside and found a new, locked folder with MRT.exe in it (again).

I have it setup to backup files regularly from my Windows main hard drive, and that cost about 190GB, but the Properties thing tells me I only have about 53.7GB of files in my terrabyte and I can't figure out how I could've lost the other 60GB. Is this because I have it setup to backup my Windows files or what did I do?

Well, hard drives are never exactly the size that they advertise. Secondly, Windows does partition out a small section for restore and backup, if you have it set to do so. Other than that, I can't think of any other normal reasons why you'd be missing that much. 60gb is more hard drive space than I have in my computer at the moment...

Well I would say to simply delete it, but that defeats the whole purpose of the backup. I was pretty sure there was a setting limiting the amount of space it uses but I can't find that setting in Windows 7. You might be able to specifically check which folders it backs up as well.

It is completely safe as it's only a backup and not used for anything other than that. The only downside is that if anything does happen, you won't have a backup. You can just delete it through Windows Explorer and then you should turn off your backup settings.