12-Year Olds Playing Online Games

Sir_Snooze

I think any online gamer is going to suffer these people, whether you like it or not. It has become MUCH worse since mic's became main stream, and with current gen consoles practically emphasizing the voice feature. But you do meet mature people, especially for their age. Its just getting by their voice which you mistake for being a girl.

I recently started playing PSO again on the SCHT servers for blue burst and granted it is an older game, I have met 14-16 year olds who are not only incredibly mature, but just wanna play the game and have fun.

And whoever mentioned Counter strike 1.6 hit it dead on. That game is like the father of the Halo and Call of Duty pre-pubescent asshats of face smashing.

As much as I hate the rating boards, this is a very good usage of it. Team fortress is definitely rated 15+ in most countries, and really its not a very graphic and vulgar game. However, I would never give it a lower rating because people under 15 on average simply wouldn't mesh well with the game's target audience. Likewise, every online game worth it's salt is at least rated 13+ despite any game content because the gamer simply because -I- know how I acted when I was 12 and no one would want me on their team, heaven forbid with a mic.

I used to be against little kids playing games with me because it just wasn't right for them to be owning the game in the first place. But now I really don't care anymore. Especially since my little brother 10 year old brother will occasionally play Battlefield: Bad Company 2 with me. Not his Xbox though. But I must admit he is quite good for his age. He's learned from the best :D. He's played other games with me before. I just hate that little kids think they know a lot and think they are all that.

I don't play many online games, but 12-year olds are uniquely annoying by their very nature. They have an inherent immaturity about them, not wholly their fault because it results from puberty and the basic age, but at the same time, this isn't something that's forgivable uniformly. I'm hugely in favor of age group-based multiplayer experiences for those who wish to play with people their own age.

That said, when I play something like Mario Kart Wii or a game that doesn't use chat or team leader positions, the fact that someone's 12 is immaterial. So I guess it boils down to the level of interaction you have with the player. If the interaction is purely in-game and digital, I think most people would agree that there's no problem with playing with 12-year olds. If the interaction is enhanced and more fully realized by the inclusion of voice chat or anything similar, the problems begin.

PROTIP: never go to pub idle servers on tf2 if you don't want a 12 year old kid killing idle players and calling everyone faggots in a whiny voice.

I don't see the logic...

Shouldn't you be... you know... idling? Like... AFKing and doing something more productive at the same time?

You could also just go console "volume 0" or whatever the exact command is...

I don't see the logic...

Shouldn't you be... you know... idling? Like... AFKing and doing something more productive at the same time?

You could also just go console "volume 0" or whatever the exact command is...

The two idle servers I go to, most people talk and actually play during off times, just as a way to pass time and get some practice in. And if I did the volume 0, or whatever, you could call me atmuh hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I usually play online shooter games and I do run into some really young gamers (usually younger than 12). Most of them are EXTREMELY good at the games and I don't mind playing with them at all, but the sound of their voice and the fact that they get easily excited and start screaming on the mic is the only thing I have a problem with. But I don't act like a dick towards them or anything, I just ask them to tone it down and then mute them if they refuse. No big deal.

I was using the internets for fun and lulz before I turned 10.

I see no problem with 12-year-old children, provided that they are more mature than most frat boys.

That said, I don't play many real-time games online (hell, I've been out of the video gaming loop for over half a decade now), and when I do it's lo-fi stuff like Settlers or Chess.

One day a game will come out where the gameplay is enhanced by the sound of whining little kids, and this genius work of game design innovation will revolutionize the gaming industry.

Heard it here first, folks.

Podunkian is already making it.

It's called "GNILLEY"

I was using the internets for fun and lulz before I turned 10.

I see no problem with 12-year-old children, provided that they are more mature than most frat boys.

That said, I don't play many real-time games online (hell, I've been out of the video gaming loop for over half a decade now), and when I do it's lo-fi stuff like Settlers or Chess.

Pawn to e4

Ran into an 11-year-old on Perfect Dark yesterday. On the one hand he had a pretty grating kiddie voice, he was pretty bad at the game and kept blaming everything but his own skill, and for a while he kept disarming me whenever I was on his team.

On the other hand, he did seem to have a decent sense of humour and he seemed to be enjoying the game. And ik kinda brings a tear to my eye to see the next generation enjoying classics like Perfect Dark.

Just got done playing a couple of rounds of TF2 with a 12 year old amongst others, and I've got a say that he really didn't do his age bracket much credit. A lot of swearing and "your mom is" quips.

You know, I don't really mind playing games with younger kids, as long as they can mind their manners and play like a regular person. But it's actually really tough not to want to grief them until they go away. The problem, I think, is just that they are so used to playing by school rules with other 12 year olds, who all think that swearing is cool and "that's what she said" and "your mom is" are the pinnacles of humor. The rest of us, most in their later teens, early twenties, have long since moved on from that kind of thing, and it just sounds really, really stupid. And good luck getting one of those little bastards to stop mic spamming with their nonsense, short of muting them or banning them.

That being said, it's a shame that there are so many of these guys, because I've played online with 12-13 year olds who were not only civil, but actually better than I was. I just don't want to listen to the dumb ones ramble on and on about how their team is better and how my mom is apparently a spy.