Old vs New: Lunar Theme Song (Wings)

SwordBreaker

Old:

New: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgaHGKF4_J8

First off, I LOVE the music from Lunar: Silver Star Story. The vocal intro theme in particular had a big impact on me back then. Those lyrics just stick to you like glue and the instrumentation is awesome.

I'm sure most of you heard of the recent remake on the PSP: Lunar Silver Star Harmony. Instead of starting from scratch, XSEED built upon the original localization...although sadly they had to remove some of the obvious 90s pop culture references to avoid lawsuits. I haven't played a lot of a game to comment on the localization, but I'm loving the graphics and voice acting thus far.

Anyway, the main theme took me by surprise. XSEED have completely redone the lyrics but left the vocal melody intact. I'm not feeling the new lyrics but the updated instrumentation sounds a lot better, not to mention the singing. I have to give it to XSEED; I've recently learned that they actually bought the vocalist of the original song on board for the new theme. Her name is Jenny Magallanes and she definitely developed her vocals well in the past 11 years. There's a certain warmth in the new vocals that I don't feel in the original. Also, notice that the new theme doubled its length to 4 minutes compared to the original.

In the end, I prefer the original theme because the lyrics are better, although I'm very impressed with the effort put on the new theme.

Thoughts? You can also talk about the Lunar remake if you like. Anyone pick up the limited edition? Brings back memories of Working Designs' impressive packaging, eh?

Jenny Magallanes

...it wasn't until now I noticed that Jenny Stigile got married. Wow, lots changes.

Anyway, I got the limited edition. I already played the Japanese version when it was released; haven't started the English one yet. Overall, though, I definitely like this remake and personally I'm glad to have another take on the game. I'd still much, much rather have a new game altogether, but this is still good.

I gotta do a compilation of translation differences, though. There's some stuff name-wise that was changed around. Part of the pitfalls of using a new translation. KF

Will someone please tell Game Arts the get with the making of Lunar III? We already have Square-Enix taking care of the RPG remake quota, and the PS1/Saturn remake was enough for the first Lunars.

We need new Lunar goodness. It's been way too long.

Well, there was Lunar Dragon Song on the DS... But it was major suckage. Lunar 3 would probably revolve around the reviving Blue Planet and the Religious World Order that seeks to keep people on Lunar. That's my take, espeically if they jump ahead another 1000 years.

Will someone please tell Game Arts the get with the making of Lunar III? We already have Square-Enix taking care of the RPG remake quota, and the PS1/Saturn remake was enough for the first Lunars.

We need new Lunar goodness. It's been way too long.

They seem more likely to be listening now than at any other point (except for after the PS1 release of EB, and the Sega CD release of EB). Unfortunately, Studio Alex is long-gone, and it'd require getting quite a few new people unconnected with the original series on-board. (At the very least, Kei Shigema would be involved--the original creator / author of the series--and possibly Kubooka--character designer--and Iwadare--composer.)

I'd like to see Eternal Blue getting some more attention, too, though a third Lunar game is higher on my list. (Dragon Song doesn't count, and Magical School Lunar was a side-story.) KF

The new one has better performance. The lyrics are more "mature" too (OA's already reference the cheese factor of the original lyrics). Also it sounds like she sings a semitones lower now, too. But, the old lyrics have this kind of girlish innocence to them, as well as a more natural, unprocessed sound.

That all said, and I might get torched for this, but I don't really care for Lunar. I played the first one on PSX and finished it, but it was pretty boring. I don't think the story and gameplay aged well - it must've been awesome when you were 15 and playing it on the Sega CD, but I found it a bit inane, especially the Working Designs "embellishments".