*NO* Lufia 'Light in the Darkness'

djpretzel

FYI, my temptation was to direct-post this, but apparently there've been objections to my track record on that recently. -djp

Hello

Here is the link to a mix I just finished making. I originally had it at a 160 bit rate, but it was 7 megs so I lowered it to 128 to meet your under 6 MB criteria.

It's a mix of the intro theme "Fear and Courage" and the "Fortress of Doom" theme. I hope you like it and it gets approved :)

Some other information that you might want:

Name to be credited to - Michael "Darangen" Boyd

Email - darangen@hotmail.com

No website yet

Thanks for your time.

-Darangen

First off, the percussion issue Prot mentioned is pretty severe. I was trying to find some kind of crazy meter that it fit into, but to no avail. It's bad. Given the relatively low quality of the percussion arrangement as a whole, I can't excuse it as a fluke. Crash cymbals are thrown about recklessly in the more active sections. Needless to say, it gets a bit tired quickly. The snare and kick are nearly lifeless, with no punch to them at all. EQ is needed here, and a more consistent mix overall.

The guitar work is consistently good, but nothing really goes above and beyond in that particular department. Nothing but a pretty direct transcription of the original with small embellishments periodically. Vig should be able to critique the axe better than I.

The track's arrangement suffers from a sort of "droning" that is in part due to the measure-long guitar chords that well....drone on and on while the barely-audible percussion....drones on. The song doesn't feel like it builds and releases as much as it alternates between a boring section and a faster, much more interesting section.

There are parts of this that totally rock. The outro starting at 5:30 is radically awesome. Why couldn't that have been the intro? Why couldn't the rest of the song have kept that kind of interest?

I'd like to hear a more defined percussion set with EQ and a more complex arrangement than a slightly ornamented reiteration of the original with guitar. Until then,

NO

-D

The main problem here is this needs more arrangement. I'm torn to give this a no, because this is one of the most fun and pleasing submissions I've heard in a long time.

While I can't pass this due to arrangement standards, I would like to congratulate you for this great piece. I'll be keeping this and listening to this often. ^_^

Please arrange this more and resubmit.

NO