OCR01998 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Atmosphere"

djpretzel

Classic stuff from the king of chiptunes.

Some really nice textures, good arrangement of the source thats faithful to the original and production is pretty solid as always.

My only crit for this is before the main melody comes in, there are some piercing frequencies in one of the hihats thats assaulting my ears. This is however the smallest of cracks in a very solid remix - great work halc, willrock likey :D

P.S.

This is so very cute :3

Love this- more good stuff. A really bright feel, both harmonically and textually. The high frequencies might add to this actually. ^w^ A solid 4/4 Fruity Kick beat as well, holding the thing together. Typical halc ending I might add. (Love the ending SFX)

Continue being awesome.

My only crit for this is before the main melody comes in, there are some piercing frequencies in one of the hihats thats assaulting my ears.

Dude, you are ALWAYS compaining about the high frequencies! You either have crazy headphones or your ears are angry with high sounds. ^w^

glad you guys are enjoying it, and thanks for the comments! personally, it makes me sick. all the cutesy stuff is completely unintentional and i find myself utterly destroyed and disgusted by the result.

well okay, not really. i embrace it ever-so-happily, but i can make non-cute things too. there's just not any on here yet :P

Head-bopping. Head. Bopping. Cute my hiney. Unless this is halc. In which case ok.

The reason I like halc's stuff so much is not just because it's awesome; it's also because his mixes have a certain... ambiance... that few songs, let alone artists, are able to so perfectly capture. Yes, they're fun. Yes, they're bright. But more than that they're uplifting. There's an emotional depth conveyed in each of his works that provides meaning... grounding behind the lightheartedness. You can hear the care put into each note, and the end result is rejuvenating to the listener. I can honestly say that whenever I feel like putting on some good - and I mean quality - feel-good music, halc's stuff is always a first choice.

Or at least that's what I get out of it. And who am I but a simple, right-brained listener with my own set of tastes.

As far as this remix, halc takes it to new... what? I've already exhausted my pun allotment? But I intentionally avoided using the descriptor "airy" before! Bah, fine.

Never cared for the source. Loved every second of this. Ace. Simply ace.

+A must listen. If you're not a fan of that level when you recognize it, well eat your heart out. The creation of this sound track changed all that with how I felt about that level sound track (at least that's how I remembered it being a high pitch sound from the actual game).

Is it just me, or do the first few bars sound like the first measures of the Reading Rainbow theme? I'm sorry, I just had to point that out :)

Anyway, love the mix. One of my favorite stages from any Sonic game. This definitely does the source material justice.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap. I actually missed this one on the front page, dunno how that happened.

Wish I'd gotten to this one sooner, 'cause this is just awesome. It's airy, light, and gives me the impression that I'm really floating on a plane that won't let me fall no matter how much I want to fall off.

Awesome remix here, don't miss this.

Simple and clean is the way halc is making me feel tonight

I see what you did there.

"Cute" is the word that immediately came to mind when I first listened to this remix, and reading through the comments, I'm obviously not the only one to think that, as is the case with "airy". Also, nice use of sfx from the game.

Good stuff.

This remix makes me want to go flying around in an airplane. Either that, or riding some creature from a fantasy movie like "The Never Ending Story" or something like that. Anyways, I always loved the original source of the song. This remix is definitly worth listening to, and is a must have in my book. Keep up the good work, halc :)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Simple and clean is the way halc is making me feel tonight

Hah, no kidding. This mix is really pristine and not overly-busy or crazy at all. Great for chillout music with a bit of a kick to it (pun intended) and though it doesn't really get as crazy with processing, sfx, or arrangement as I've come to expect from Drew, this is still a really quaint arrangement that'll pop up every once and a while on my playlist and put a nice smile on my face.

• 5 months later...

Very clean, easy-going and.....eh, not cute, but close enough to be nice and peaceful. Extremely comfortable and relaxing. Very fitting for the Sky Chase Zone. Another Halc mix that doesn't disappoint. And the mash-up wasn't that bad either. I like the creativeness of these things.

• 10 months later...

When I started listening to this I was imaging flying on a hang glider among the clouds. then I heard the Sonic "ring" and just smiled, I couldn't help it. my boss asked what I was smiling at and I played it for him, and he smiled too, then gave me a warning for listening to my phone during a meeting.

Oh well, excellent mix.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01998 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Atmosphere"