Donkey Kong Country 3: Double the Trouble! - History

Emunator

Flexstyle to the rescue! He sprung a remix of Arich's Boss theme from the GBA soundtrack on me out of nowhere, finishing it in just a day. It offers a nice hard-hitting counterpoint to his more chilled-out Hot Pursuit remix, with some really killer guitar work by Paul Capps, too!

And that means...

20 WAVs! IT'S PREVIEW TIME!

So, basically, check the first post for all the goodies, including a title banner, signatures that you can proudly (or shamefully?) display to advertise the project, a few pieces of preview art from TheMaverickk and the main course, a 14-minute preview video that myself and Cody have been slaving over for days now.

All this and more can be found in the first post right now, so check it out and enjoy! Please let us know what you think, we've worked really hard to get this all ready for you guys so we'd appreciate getting some feedback, good or bad, on the project so far. Plus, I'm sure the artists would love to know if you liked their tracks, so don't shy away from voicing your opinions!

Cheers!

It seems a good game though, maybe I'll play it sometime. Are all the GBA versions of DKC so different from the originals?

Well there were the three Donkey Kong Land games that were for original Game Boy (only the first was different from the respective Country entry; 2 was pretty close to DKC2 and 3 borrowed heavily from DKC3). Those are what you're thinking of BlackPanther.

As for the GBA entries, the third is the only one with a different soundtrack. They all have added features.

- DKC1 GBA has the Scrapbook,

- DKC2 GBA has the Scrapbook as well, but also Funky's Flights missions, Expresso Racing, and a Time Trial mode

- DKC3 GBA has the new soundtrack, as I said, along with a new minigame for Swanky's Sideshow, a minigame at Cranky's, and an entirely new world called Pacifica, which was pretty well done and fit right into place, being upon that island in the northwest.

Of course, the codes changed completely (the only one that stayed the same was MUSIC in DKC3) with the new Cheats menu. I'm still pissed that they removed the MERRY code. That one was hilariously awesome.

As for the video preview... Pretty awesome! The stage that shows during ilp0's track is in Pacifica, btw. And same with the one during Aquatic Transformations, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyways, aside from that, some epic mixage there (like the OC & REMIX during the Crazy Calypso preview and its remix), and the insanity during that damn forest with lightning stage. Who recorded the gameplay footage? Because I can't tell you how many times my entire family (except for my dad, who couldn't play due to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome) died on that damn stage when we first got DKC3, and you just blazed right through it! The music was phenomenal too. Great job, all! Can't wait for the release! A nice variety of genres this time, and I like that. But get some names for those Untitled tracks! :D

And why does the new album title seem like it was stupid obvious and staring us right in the face the entire time?

My debut on ANY big CD, as a bonus track. This is the full completed version that will be on the CD...but as not to reveal TOO much...

...I intentionally made this preview file to make it sound extremely low quality. Not to worry I still have the high-quality, 160kbs song, but Emunator will have a WAV soon from me. So if you like this lo-fi version, the Hi-Fi version that will be a bonus track will be a whole lot better, I guarantee it.

So without further blabbing, I present "Rocket Rave", a Rocket Run remix: http://www.box.net/shared/2x93f04vqn

Like what you heard? Get the CD!

Who recorded the gameplay footage?

Emunator recorded the footage for Dixie Beat, Crazy Calypso, Hot Pursuit and Pokey Pipes (SNES), while everything else was done by me. I tried to go out of my way to make sure each level's gameplay was unique enough to magnify the fact that all of DKC3's levels are about as diverse as you can get :)

As for Lightning Lookout, I definitely got really lucky. I normally do awful at that level but that clip in the preview was my first and only attempt. Stampede Sprint GBA, on the other hand, must've taken me well over 50 tries to beat it with both Kongs and Parry... granted, it was around 4 in the morning and Stampede Sprint looks really blurry on an emulator, but I still didn't expect it to take that long :P

I'm really glad you all are taking a liking to the preview, Emunator and I put a lot of hard work in it just for you guys!

Emunator recorded the footage for Dixie Beat, Crazy Calypso, Hot Pursuit and Pokey Pipes (SNES), while everything else was done by me. I tried to go out of my way to make sure each level's gameplay was unique enough to magnify the fact that all of DKC3's levels are about as diverse as you can get :)

As for Lightning Lookout, I definitely got really lucky. I normally do awful at that level but that clip in the preview was my first and only attempt. Stampede Sprint GBA, on the other hand, must've taken me well over 50 tries to beat it with both Kongs and Parry... granted, it was around 4 in the morning and Stampede Sprint looks really blurry on an emulator, but I still didn't expect it to take that long :P

I'm really glad you all are taking a liking to the preview, Emunator and I put a lot of hard work in it just for you guys!

Thanks for the info, and the video! Great work!

And Draco, nice track. Can't wait for the full hi-quality version!!