Donkey Kong Country 3: Double the Trouble! - History

Emunator

HEY, here's some good news finally! After quite a long streak of no visible progress, we've gotten a pair of WAVs from Matt Drouin and Prophecy/AkumajoBelmont for Swanky's Sideshow and Cranky's Showdown, respectively. Coincidentally, neither artist has had a posted remix on OCR in over 5 years so these two tracks mark somewhat of a return to the community, musically, for each artist. Lots to be excited for here :-D

Ok, things have been sorted out as far as I'm concerned. I feel like I reacted the best I could knowing what I did at the time, but it sounds like it was not an ill-intentioned act, but just a REALLY stupid mistake. So, all's well I guess.

But still, DON'T LEAK YOUR TRACKS, ANY OF YOU >:(

I'm glad that debacle was just a small understanding. However, I'm afraid we have a another traitor to the project and he's already making money off project music.

I was just minding my own business, working on my remix for Cranky's Showdown and drinking some Guinness Extra Stout. Suddenly, the door burst open and AkumajoBelmont walked in wielding a gun. Two shadowy accomplices followed. I thought they looked familiar....

"Where's the remix!?" demanded Akuma in his silky smooth voice. It was almost lyrical, as its chocolate buttery goodness teased my ears. It was hard not to want to do anything that man-siren asked. However, I resisted.

"What remix? I have no idea what you're talking about," I said, playing dumb.

"Playing dumb huh? Bet you've had a lifetime of practice. We know you have the remix here and we'll torture you until we get it." He scowled with his lush golden pipes.

"I'll never tell!" I replied defiantly.

"Have you met my friend Kiddie here? He can break anything in half with his bare.....Wait, what do gorillas have? Is it paws or hands? Phalanges?"

Kiddie?! Now I recognized them. His accomplices were Kiddie and Dixie, the famed Jungle Genocide duo. They wiped out thousands of innocent animals, sometimes whole species, just to get their grubby primate paws.....hands?....the things they grab stuff with.......on some bananas. After perpetrating the famed massacre of '96, they framed the incident on an innocent crocodile.

"Do your worst. I will never help evil scum such as you," I said, as part of my strategy of boring them to death with cliched responses that are in every movie ever.

"Dixie, do your thing!" Akuma commanded.

Dixie put down the bag of puppies she was snacking on, picked up one of my bottles of Guinness Extra Stout and smashed it against the floor.

"NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Ok, I'll tell. Just please, don't hurt my beer!" As you can see, I had no choice but to give in to their demands.

Dixie proceeded to destroy another bottle of beer, the water of life.

"What did you do that for?! I said I'd tell! I had to drive all the way across town for that stuff! Please don't hurt my babies!" I begged some more for good measure.

I gave them the mix and proceeded to ball my eyes out right after they left. I'm sorry guys, but I just wasn't strong enough to stop them. As the weeks went by, I began to slip into depression. I even temporarily gave up drinking - easily the most difficult 2 and a half hours of my life. I went to a friend's house to try and distract myself from my ever growing failures. As usual, my friend was on the couch probably glued to the television, watching the news as I walked in.....

"....and what really baffles scientists is the phenomenom know as a "heterogasm," the involuntary orgasm some heterosexual males also experience when listening to his voice. For months women have been experiencing spontaneous pregnancies and orgasms at his concerts, while both men and women have seen cancer recede and hernias completely clear up after listening to him perform live. But scientists have never seen anything quite like this. With us in the studio today is Dr. Wozzlebang who will be telling us more about the amazing properties of AkumajoBelmont's voice."

"Wait. AkumajoBelmont? What's going on?" I wondered aloud. My friend didn't answer. At this time, it occurred to me that he was asleep and also a cat. Specically, the cat that belonged to my friend.

"Well Katrina, it's quite simple. AkumajoBelmont's voice is simply so good that it is capable of defying many of the laws of physics. This has many implications for the scientific community. There are even some suggesting it could be harnassed as a new energy...."

I'd heard enough. After discovering this website called google, I did some research. Turns out, Akuma and his two evil accomplices had been touring all around the world using MY remix which they were calling, "Banana Revolution." Whatever. I was gonna finish the project even if it killed me! Well, maybe not if it killed me, or even if it harmed my beer, but still.

Turns out, they were having a live performance in Vegas (where I live) that night. At least, that's what a poster I found online told me. Was very strange seeing Kiddie and Dixie's faces in the poster, after seeing their scowling mugs on Jungle's Most Wanted so many times.

I snuck into the concert, err, Kongcert, by hiding in a barrel. Not really sure why that worked, but it did. I then proceeded to discreetly set up my recording equipment. The song began to start, and the woman next to me wouldn't stop screaming or put her clothes back on. Was rather distracting. Akuma's voice filled the air and I suddenly knew the meaning of the word Utopia. Caught in a trance by his angelic timbres, I stood frozen, unable to do anything but obey his every command. Suddenly, the air filled with the smell of over 10,000 people having an involuntary (and in some cases, completely voluntary) orgasm. You can't possibly imagine what that smells like....unless you've been to the Fisherman's Warf in Seattle on International Fish Gutting Day.

The stench helped me snap out of my daze, and I was able to stay focused long enough to finish the recording. I rendered it and sent it to Emunator. One less remix to worry about.

As for Akuma, Kiddie and Dixie. If they're playing in your area any time soon, you should go see it. It's an experience you'll never forget.

I'm glad that debacle was just a small understanding. However, I'm afraid we have a another traitor to the project and he's already making money off project music.

I was just minding my own business, working on my remix for Cranky's Showdown and drinking some Guinness Extra Stout. Suddenly, the door burst open and AkumajoBelmont walked in wielding a gun. Two shadowy accomplices followed. I thought they looked familiar....

"Where's the remix!?" demanded Akuma in his silky smooth voice. It was almost lyrical, as its chocolate buttery goodness teased my ears. It was hard not to want to do anything that man-siren asked. However, I resisted.

"What remix? I have no idea what you're talking about," I said, playing dumb.

"Playing dumb huh? Bet you've had a lifetime of practice. We know you have the remix here and we'll torture you until we get it." He scowled with his lush golden pipes.

"I'll never tell!" I replied defiantly.

"Have you met my friend Kiddie here? He can break anything in half with his bare.....Wait, what do gorillas have? Is it paws or hands? Phalanges?"

Kiddie?! Now I recognized them. His accomplices were Kiddie and Dixie, the famed Jungle Genocide duo. They wiped out thousands of innocent animals, sometimes whole species, just to get their grubby primate paws.....hands?....the things they grab stuff with.......on some bananas. After perpetrating the famed massacre of '96, they framed the incident on an innocent crocodile.

"Do your worst. I will never help evil scum such as you," I said, as part of my strategy of boring them to death with cliched responses that are in every movie ever.

"Dixie, do your thing!" Akuma commanded.

Dixie put down the bag of puppies she was snacking on, picked up one of my bottles of Guinness Extra Stout and smashed it against the floor.

"NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Ok, I'll tell. Just please, don't hurt my beer!" As you can see, I had no choice but to give in to their demands.

Dixie proceeded to destroy another bottle of beer, the water of life.

"What did you do that for?! I said I'd tell! I had to drive all the way across town for that stuff! Please don't hurt my babies!" I begged some more for good measure.

I gave them the mix and proceeded to ball my eyes out right after they left. I'm sorry guys, but I just wasn't strong enough to stop them. As the weeks went by, I began to slip into depression. I even temporarily gave up drinking - easily the most difficult 2 and a half hours of my life. I went to a friend's house to try and distract myself from my ever growing failures. As usual, my friend was on the couch probably glued to the television, watching the news as I walked in.....

"....and what really baffles scientists is the phenomenom know as a "heterogasm," the involuntary orgasm some heterosexual males also experience when listening to his voice. For months women have been experiencing spontaneous pregnancies and orgasms at his concerts, while both men and women have seen cancer recede and hernias completely clear up after listening to him perform live. But scientists have never seen anything quite like this. With us in the studio today is Dr. Wozzlebang who will be telling us more about the amazing properties of AkumajoBelmont's voice."

"Wait. AkumajoBelmont? What's going on?" I wondered aloud. My friend didn't answer. At this time, it occurred to me that he was asleep and also a cat. Specically, the cat that belonged to my friend.

"Well Katrina, it's quite simple. AkumajoBelmont's voice is simply so good that it is capable of defying many of the laws of physics. This has many implications for the scientific community. There are even some suggesting it could be harnassed as a new energy...."

I'd heard enough. After discovering this website called google, I did some research. Turns out, Akuma and his two evil accomplices had been touring all around the world using MY remix which they were calling, "Banana Revolution." Whatever. I was gonna finish the project even if it killed me! Well, maybe not if it killed me, or even if it harmed my beer, but still.

Turns out, they were having a live performance in Vegas (where I live) that night. At least, that's what a poster I found online told me. Was very strange seeing Kiddie and Dixie's faces in the poster, after seeing their scowling mugs on Jungle's Most Wanted so many times.

I snuck into the concert, err, Kongcert, by hiding in a barrel. Not really sure why that worked, but it did. I then proceeded to discreetly set up my recording equipment. The song began to start, and the woman next to me wouldn't stop screaming or put her clothes back on. Was rather distracting. Akuma's voice filled the air and I suddenly knew the meaning of the word Utopia. Caught in a trance by his angelic timbres, I stood frozen, unable to do anything but obey his every command. Suddenly, the air filled with the smell of over 10,000 people having an involuntary (and in some cases, completely voluntary) orgasm. You can't possibly imagine what that smells like....unless you've been to the Fisherman's Warf in Seattle on International Fish Gutting Day.

The stench helped me snap out of my daze, and I was able to stay focused long enough to finish the recording. I rendered it and sent it to Emunator. One less remix to worry about.

As for Akuma, Kiddie and Dixie. If they're playing in your area any time soon, you should go see it. It's an experience you'll never forget.

This is perhaps the most incredible thing I have ever read.

So Akumajo, all you have left in production (I don't know as much about post-production) is that Enchanted track. In the second trailer, Enchanted was my 2nd most anticipated behind Epic Bananas.

Yeah, all I've basically got left is mastering... my Cubase has carked it for some reason, so I need to reinstall it and do that... then boom... done :D

EDIT. Also, I notice in your sig that you're not supporting/spectating VROOM !!! :D

Went through the drive-thru for lunch and realized I had a half hour to kill. Figured I'd let people know a little bit about our mix. I think I described the essence of the remix pretty accurately.

Yes, every time I listened to the remix I had to change my pants. Now, I've just stopped wearing them while I listen... now everytime I listen to it I have to get my carpets cleaned :-(

Seriously though, the mix is really that awesome. It's gonna be a highlight for sure :-D

His name is spelled "Kiddy" by the way...

Sorry for the spelling error. I've never played the game and the article I used to research the plot used the wrong spelling. When writing a post for a forum on the internet, I typically don't pay excruciatingly close attention to spelling/grammatical errors.

Matt Drouin

Looking forward to hearing his final wav. The WIP I heard was pretty cool.

Hah, funny story actually. When Ergosonic claimed Rockface Rumble, he actually dragged me over to his dorm and we played through DKC3 in one night together, haha :-)

I'm actually curious how many remixers on board here have played DKC3. I think the number might actually be a minority, but off the top of my head, judging from various conversations I think myself, Cody, Radiowar, Blue Magic, Sole Signal, halc, The Vagrance, Ross, Archangel (maybe?) Mono, anosou, GSlicer, Vampire Hunter Dan, and Peach have all played the game. If memory serves, Theophany and Ergosonic have both played the game AFTER joining the project, which I thought was pretty neat :-)

Anyone I missed? Anyone I mistakenly put in the list above? I'm actually rather curious about this!

So while all y'all were slacking on spring break (or whatever it is you do around this time of year), Wes and I got together, consumed massive quantities of sugar, caffeine, and In-N-Out Burger, and did a ton of mastering of these fine tracks here. Oh, what's that? You, O slacker, didn't have a finished track here? SHAME! Get thy butt in gear and get on this rockin' bandwagon, because this project will be FANTASMIC.

tl;dr We made awesome tracks sound awesomer.

I DON'T BELIEVE YOU BUT OK LOL

I remember when this project started. Seriously, I do. It was right when DKC2 came out. Everyone was like "oh you should make a dkc3 album" and then Emu would respond and be like "Way ahead of you! <link>"

Yup, those were the good old days. Years ago, before the flood of noobs who signed up after the release of Final Fantasy 5 Wind, or the flood of noobs who signed up after the release of Teen Agent: The Root of All Evil, or the flood of noobs who signed up after the release of Zelda: Link's Awakening, or the flood of noobs who signed up after The Answer: Armored Core, or the flood of noobs who signed up after Heroes Vs. Villains, or the flood of noobs who signed up after Pokemon: The Missingno Tracks, or the flood of noobs who signed up after Mega Man: Robot Museum, or the flood of noobs who signed up after Sonic: The Sound of Speed, or the flood of noobs who signed up after Final Fantasy V ~Water~, or the flood of noobs who signed up after.... well... you get the point.

Yes yes, I remember it fondly.

Well, not EVERYONE has been slacking. Zircon and Tefnek, who teamed up yet again to bring one of, if not the most hard-hitting mix on the project. It's intense, you all are gonna love it. Nuts and Bolts could not have been picked up by someone more appropriate!

But yeah, the mastering is going great, some songs have had a whole new breath of life in them now. As soon as we get all the rest of the missing WAVs, we'll get things rocked out and hopefully be ready for release (on the audio end of things) in a matter of weeks after that :-D Aim for the end of March or sooner, those of you who still aren't done yet!