Donkey Kong Country 3: Double the Trouble! - History

Emunator

Just calling it as I've seen it over the last 2 years of being at OCR. You can take issue with that but you know it's true. Projects go on for years, and we're talking about people who are 2 months past the final deadline.

This. Is. Not. Your. Project.

If someone were behind on a Teen Agent track for two months, then that is your business. This is Emunator's project. let this stuff stay between the artist and the director. And "Calling it like you're seeing it" is just that: speculation. It has no basis in fact and is a result of your opinion and assessment of the situation.

I agree with Rozo that people need to communicate their situation to project coordinators.

This entire thing should have been handled privately. Now I think we should just stop talking about it, out of respect for Emu and his wonderful project.

I knew my post would be misconstrued, which is exactly why I usually don't say anything in situations like this one.

I do not whine, because that doesn't solve anything. I do not regret my decision to leave everything else on the back burner in order to finish my track. In fact, I still think it was the right thing to do, because I made a commitment here to finish my mix before the deadline, and I did it because I respected Emunator both as a person and as a project director. It's true that at the end of the day, it's his decision whether to cut someone or to be patient, but frankly, him being a nice person doesn't excuse anyone from finishing their song (at least approximately) in time.

My point was that I did everything I could to finish my track in time, not that I'm expecting some sort of compensation for my decisions. Remixing is just a fun hobby for me too, but I take it seriously, especially when there's an entire group of people involved.

I only have access to my music-production software/hardware during the weekend, and I still manage to juggle several OCReMix projects, even though I'm a full-time student and study eight languages, have a part-time job translating for the European Union, do volunteer work tutoring people who have trouble studying, write novels, play the piano and compose my own music in my free time. Now, I'm sorry if I'm a freak for expecting people to finish their bloody song in two months.

I can understand personal problems and delays, but I don't think I'm being rude to Emunator by pointing out that some people should respect deadlines a little more. Deadlines that Emunator determined.

Again, I'm sorry if anyone saw my post as a personal attack or an attack against Emunator. It wasn't intended as such. But I don't see how I could have handled this privately since Emunator has nothing to do with my rant.

What the fuck just happened in this thread? O___o

^

As a Remixer who took a long time to finish a track here, my view is this: I make music for OCR for free. I don't get anything other than exposer as an artist.

On the other side, I have rl, where I have to juggle university and doing paid work with OCR stuff.

Basically... OCR will come last, and if project directors don't like that, then they can cut me. Emu in this case didn't, he could have done, but decided against it. I kept in contact with him at all times and told him about progress when it came, and the fact I took as long as I did means the end project is all that much better. Basically, I have more important things to worry about than OCR atm and while i'll tell people how it is, its up to them what they will do regarding my situation.

How hard is it to get it?

THE PROBLEM IS MAKING THIS PUBLIC IN THE FIRST PLACE!

GTFO this thread and take it to a private channel, that's how civilized people do it. Otherwise you get a bunch of random people chiming in when it's not their business.

Moar DKC3 now pl0x

Ok, I've read things over and I've got a few words to say. As much as I may seem like a stickler over deadlines, at the end of the day it's just a project and we're all doing this for the fun of it. I really would have liked to get things done by the deadline or shortly after. It pains me too that we've had to drag things out and, trust me, I feel for all of you who have to sit on your finished tracks because others are not finished. I really wanted to avoid that lag phase and I've gone so far as to promise a release date so certain artists wouldn't have to hold onto their finished songs for months/years. Depending on the situation, those promises might have been broken on my part, and I feel terrible about that. So, before I get into anything, I'm sorry to those of you who are having to wait.

However, I've always, always said that real life comes first when it comes to these projects. I know each and every one of you (even Brandon :3) are real people with jobs, lives, significant others, commitments, and any number of extenuating circumstances. I realize that you're all taking a lot of time out of your lives to do something for me, and it's really my honor to have any of you here in the first place. If any of you had to go through personal hell to finish your songs, you should have, and still can, talked to me about it. I would have been understanding and made appropriate arrangements to accommodate you. As of such, it's really on me to be understanding of the situations that you're all experiencing. I'm not a hardass for deadlines because if I was, we'd have to settle for a lot of remixes that would be rushed, uninspired, and sloppy in comparison to what the artists who've missed deadlines has in mind.

Fun fact: Dave Wise didn't even make the final deadline. Should I have cut him? I don't think so. I've gotta balance promptness of project release with the fact that, if I was completely compliant with cutting people who missed deadlines, we wouldn't have such FUCKING AWESOME REMIXES like Dave's, Monobrow's, zyko's, ilp0's, Theophany's, OA's, Will's, Proto's, and so many other remixes that were finished after the deadline. Trust me, when you guys hear these remixes, I think you will agree that the extra months we spent on the project was absolutely worth it. Those remixers are one-of-a-kind and they brought something to the project that nobody else could have. As such, I'll take what I can get :-)

I want to make it clear though, me, Cody, and Flexstyle are doing absolutely EVERYTHING in our power to get things done. I've actually spent the night at his place recently so we can spend time mastering the project and making sure everything flows right. I've put in countless hours trying to track down unfinished remixers/remixes and hooking up collabs and basically doing what a director ought to. We've listened to the whole project (in its current form) dozens and dozens of times to make sure the tracklist flows as well as possible. tl;dr - we're working our asses off behind the scenes to make sure everything is as good as it can be.

Ultimately, I'm taking this project VERY seriously because the last two DKC remix projects that've come before were extremely high quality and we're trying to outdo that. I understand the current frustrations and I empathize with them... the missed deadlines get me really disheartened too but at the end of the day, it's going to be worth the wait so that every artist currently on the project can finish to their own satisfaction.

tl;dr I love you all and appreciate your contributions, whether you made the deadline or not. I consider all of you friends by now and I don't want any feelings to be hurt over this. I want things to be finished but I'm putting my trust in the rest of you to get things finished in a timely manner. I'll do the best I can to make this happen. Let's all get along :-)

PS I'm super medicated right now so I probably sound like a goddamn hippie lol

PPS This project was started in November 2009. It's only been a year and a half since we started. And we have almost 60 finished tracks when you count in the bonus tracks with 10-15 more to go. The first two DKC3 remix projects have 57 tracks combined. Those projects took 2-3 years to complete, EACH. In a quarter of the time, we've gotten more remixes than those two projects combined and average song quality is just as high, if not better. We should all be proud of that. Some food for thought :-) (disclaimer: I am not a math major and I cannot math very well. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to treat or cure any disease.)

:-D

...the missed deadlines get me really disheartened too but at the end of the day, it's going to be worth the wait so that every artist currently on the project can finish to their own satisfaction.

I hope I'm not the only one who agrees with this. I admit I was wrong to hope it would be out before Half Year's Day (July 1). I admit I was even more wrong for getting violent with all of you. Even if this took until this autumn to be released, this project would still truly amaze me. I can't remember when Kong in Concert was established, but Serious Monkey Business took from November 2007 to March 2010 (2.3 years). It's only been 1.4 years since Double the Trouble (abbrev 2xtT) started recruiting remixers. So it's at least been ~40% shorter to get this far (52 tracks and ~8 bonus!) I commend your instincts, Emunator: You knew that by not being a big hard*** for deadlines, that this project wouldn't get watered down. And the quality? There's only TWO projects that would give this a run for its money (ARMed and DANGerous but mostly Maverick Rising). Until now, Emunator, I didn't realize how lucky I was to have you as director of the DKC3 album. And one more thing that amazes me: I've heard people rip into DKC3 plenty of times before, and for us to create some of the best music OCRemix has ever made from a game that controversial is a testament to our power!

I was actually more referring to the people not involved who've been following the project.

Jeez, though, you handle all this well...

I guarantee that once the project is out (it should be very soon, no later than the end of 2011 at the very latest) you'll hear the songs from the artists who still haven't finished and think "Damn, that was worth the wait!" We've got some VERY good stuff that's still in the works and the project would suffer immensely if we pushed forward without those people.

I'm just gonna go on the record and say this. Whenever I bug someone about tracks (I'm lookin' at you, Sixto and Willrock), I'm only messing with them. 99% of it is not serious (the other 1% is because I know they can make awesum muzak and I want to hear it), so if I do that please, don't take offense.

In other news, still can't wait for this to wrap up.

(also, just how heavily medicated were you when you wrote that massive post? :tomatoface: )

Here's some good new! Zyko's finally finished off his two remaining tracks, putting a very solid spin on Nuts n' Bolts and Rockface Rumble. I'm particularly proud of the latter one, which ended up being a collab with Diggi Dis and Diotrans, and captures the unadulterated nostalgia of one of my favorite DKC source tunes of all time. Fantastic work man, Waleed's definitely put out something that's right on par with, if not even greater than his contributions to the last album!

I remember ZykO made 3 tracks for Serious Monkey Business: "Token Up", "The Apes of Wrath", and "Backwards Room".

Now for this, he's made "Corn-Fed Kong" and "Nuts in the Head". I take it that while Nuts was crafted with exceptional skill, Corn-Fed utilized the collaborative power of 3 artists. Nuts and Corn-Fed could make short work of Token Up. They can beat Backwards if they don't suffer any technical problems, but I'll be impressed if they can beat Apes of Wrath.

I remember ZykO made 3 tracks for Serious Monkey Business: "Token Up", "The Apes of Wrath", and "Backwards Room".

Now for this, he's made "Corn-Fed Kong" and "Nuts in the Head". I take it that while Nuts was crafted with exceptional skill, Corn-Fed utilized the collaborative power of 3 artists. Nuts and Corn-Fed could make short work of Token Up. They can beat Backwards if they don't suffer any technical problems, but I'll be impressed if they can beat Apes of Wrath.

He also did "All Mixxed Up", a remix of Hot Pursuit (Jangle Bells) GBA :)

I looked forward to Zyko's DKC3 tracks with extremely high expectations -- more so than every single other, in fact -- and wasn't disappointed in least with the initial WIPs even. I couldn't even imagine better remixes of any of the 3 themes and I mean that with all my heart.

To Emunator: I was SO happy to hear that I should expect this album before New Year's Eve. That means your forecast is a paltry 0.7 years away! Now I can plan for everything else better!

Because there's less than 10 tracks now that need WAVs, here are my Top 10 Most Anticipated tracks:

X. Corn-Fed Kong

IX. The Paper Chase

VIII. The Submap Emissary

VII. Shenanigans Bananigans

VI. Unfinished Business

V. Intoxica

IV. Blast Beatdown

III. Heart of the Cave

II. Enchanted

I. Epic Bananas