Donkey Kong Country 3: Double the Trouble! - History

Emunator

Alright, I promised you guys and update, so an update you shall get. I was hoping to wait until we officially had the album submitted for evaluation, but that's a few days off, I guess.

Right now, we're just waiting on AkumajoBelmont's Enchanted remix. Once that's in, we'll have one remix of every single theme on both OSTs. That'll make this the first of the DKC projects that actually fully covers the soundtracks they're remixing (the last two OCR DKC albums omitted the fanfare themes and game over themes.) Aside from Enchanted, all of our final WAVs have been mastered by Flexstyle as necessary, cut as part of a gapless album and encoded in FLAC and MP3 and roughly tagged according to OCR standards. That means that we've got release candidates for... just about everything :-)

I can report that the gapless playback sounds gorgeous but tastefully-done; we took a lot of measures to do that process right without shoehorning it in on tracks where it wouldn't sound good. tl;dr: Flex did a fantastic job on working in gapless integration, and it absolutely enhances the album quality. Think Kong in Concert, but without certain tracks being rendered unlistenable outside of the album because of overly-awkward cut-ins and cutoffs.

I can't firmly speak to a release date, but I'm hoping to at least be finished with the evaluation phase by the end of the month. I'll be pushing those who're evaluating the project to make that happen and I'll be finishing my own evaluation up shortly to help facilitate. After that, I'm not entirely sure what the OCR schedule looks like, but I'll post updates as I know more about when we're able to release. It all depends on staff availability and the existing project queue.

Final artwork/media preparations are underway. Mine and Cody's contribution to that package is finished after hundreds and hundreds of hours of collective work, and The Maverickk is making some last-minute changeups to his album art package that should be finished in the coming weeks. That means we'll have an album cover to share with everybody! :-D As for the video previews, we're a little bit behind schedule on releasing those, I said I wanted to release an extended audiovisual preview ahead of time to tide everybody over while we wait for evaluation, so I'm talking with Drew Gourley to see what we can do to get that to market. It may be a bit of a wait though just to ensure that we have a quality final product. He's also at work on the project website, which will be made from the ground up instead of using a template, so that's definitely worth getting excited about too!

Here's some final stats on the album: 64 remixes + 12 bonus mixes = 76 remixes total by 64 unique artists, clocking in at nearly 5 hours and 20 minutes of playtime spread across 4 discs. I'm going to state this here first because I anticipate that I'll be saying it a lot in the future: this album is NOT MEANT TO BE LISTENED TO IN ONE SHOT. We specifically chunked up the album so that it can serve as 2, 3, or even 4 individual listening experiences, depending on how you cut it up. So I don't want to hear anyone complaining about how the album is "too long" :-| The album will be just as good if you treat each disc as an individual project.

To all project artists and contributors, another thing you have to look forward to sometime in the next month is our internal listening party, where everyone will get a pre-release copy of the album and we'll have an IRC party over the span of a few days and share our opinions with the rest of the artists. For many of you this'll be the first time you've heard completed songs outside of your own or on the project forums, so hopefully a lot of you will be able to make it! I'll be in touch personally as more details develop.

On top of that, we've still got an absolutely mind-blowing secret that we've kept up our sleeves that'll reveal itself when the time is right ;-) Not gonna drop hints or anything but keep in mind that the biggest bombshell of the project is still yet to be revealed!

I think that pretty much covers everything. The music is sounding absolutely fantastic, so much better than I ever could have imagined when I started the project. Everyone brought their A-game here, that much I can say for certain. The tracklist you see on the first post is final, and looking over that should give you a lot of reasons to be excited. We've got artists like Prophecy, Matt Drouin, and mv who haven't remixed anything in over half a decade returning with some stellar material, some long-await collabs such as halc & anosou finally coming to fruition, musical contributions by Dave Wise himself, and remixes done in genres that have never been heard before on OCR.

That's pretty much all I've got to say for now. I'll keep posting as things develop but hopefully this will serve as the obligatory GETHYPE post you've been looking for ;-)

Cheers!

Awwww yeah! I'm way too excited, haha. The artist list has me SUPER pumped. Thanks for the update, Emunator. :) Hopefully evaluation and whatever comes after doesn't take too much time!

Here's some final stats on the album: 64 remixes + 12 bonus mixes = 76 remixes total by 64 unique artists, clocking in at nearly 5 hours and 20 minutes of playtime spread across 4 discs. I'm going to state this here first because I anticipate that I'll be saying it a lot in the future: this album is NOT MEANT TO BE LISTENED TO IN ONE SHOT. We specifically chunked up the album so that it can serve as 2, 3, or even 4 individual listening experiences, depending on how you cut it up. So I don't want to hear anyone complaining about how the album is "too long" :-| The album will be just as good if you treat each disc as an individual project.

You just had to give me a review challenge, didn't you? :tomatoface:

Seriously though, I may just do a two-part review. It's the only sane answer.

On top of that, we've still got an absolutely mind-blowing secret that we've kept up our sleeves that'll reveal itself when the time is right ;-) Not gonna drop hints or anything but keep in mind that the biggest bombshell of the project is still yet to be revealed!

It's not just an album for DKC3. It's an album for every game

banana.jpg

lol

Wow, did you guys actually do what I think you did? When you told me you knew a Hollywood film crew........

Wow, did you guys actually do what I think you did? When you told me you knew a Hollywood film crew........

I knew it!! This is going to be the score for "The Preliminary Hearing for the FDA Regulation of the Cure that Eventually Causes the Rise of the Planet of the Apes." ;-) Congrats to you!

I'm psyched for a 5 hour album, personally. I think I'll have to call in dead for work that day.

Ok... back to lurking and waiting patiently...

I knew it!! This is going to be the score for "The Preliminary Hearing for the FDA Regulation of the Cure that Eventually Causes the Rise of the Planet of the Apes." ;-) Congrats to you!

Um yeah...that's it. Despite what you may have heard, the surprise is NOT a music video featuring a blinged-out Emunator performing a beatbox medley. Those stills being passed around are photoshopped. Who knows what the real surprise is?

I'll ruin the surprise since I'm a jerk like that (and that's why everyone loves me)

All 5 discs as well as artwork is being printed into a deluxe digipak box set featuring an extra DVD disc of album trailers and previews. It will come in a rich mahogany crate-style box signed by Wes McDonald himself

No bananas? :o

What a shame...

More mind-blowing than all the other surprises and such mentioned throughout this whole build-up? This I gotta see. Hype definitely got. :-D

Let me guess. The album is in reality the soundtrack for DKC3 HD, right?

Can't wait for this to be released. I have to admit I was very skeptical about this project at first, and I think I even said something along those lines, but I'm really glad it turned out well, and I was really pushed in terms of my own musical skill. Ya'll made me GIVE! Color me impressed. Color be bad too. Now is that limbo before release.

P.S. NOW THAT THIS PROJECT IS DONE MAYBE THERE COULD BE SOME MUSICAL/ARTISTIC INTEREST DIRECTED TOWARDS A CERTAIN PROJECT THAT IS ALSO A PROJECT!

/shameless <3

Honestly, I can't wait for this to be released. I've always thought the music of this game is severely underrated and was disappointed when I saw so few remixes for it when I first stumbled across this site.

Can't wait for this to be released. I have to admit I was very skeptical about this project at first, and I think I even said something along those lines, but I'm really glad it turned out well, and I was really pushed in terms of my own musical skill. Ya'll made me GIVE! Color me impressed. Color be bad too. Now is that limbo before release.

/shameless <3

Hahaha, well, you probably weren't wrong in thinking that :-) I mean, when I started this up I was some random n00b off the forums with no street cred who'd been involved in the community for maybe 2-3 months, tops, and I had no proven (or even professed :-P ) musical talents. My codirector kinda falls under the same category, more or less, so I wouldn't blame anyone for being skeptical. However, we both had our hearts in it 100% and we both also had a ridiculous amount of free time this last year and a half, so I think it worked out well. We had a lot of help from some very dedicated musicians who helped make it all happen, too, and we're eternally indebted to all of you :-)

We're doing everything we can to make sure the wait is quick, so just hang tight for a bit until then!