OCR02006 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Trapped in the Minds"

djpretzel

Please keep your filthy hands off of classic video game music. Wow, thanks for ruining my favorite song in the game, I could have gone my whole life without hearing rap lyrics over the crappiest beat I have ever heard. The chorus sounds like you are trying to make yourself sound gay. It doesn't sound remotely like the original track. Save crap like this for the mainstream.

Please keep your filthy mouth off of video game music remix review threads. Wow, thanks for ruining a good review thread on the site, I could have gone my whole life without reading crap comments in the crappiest block of text I have ever seen. The vocabulary sounds like you are trying to make yourself sound mainstream. It doesn't sound remotely like an original opinion. Save crap like that for the mainstream.

Please keep your filthy hands off of classic video game music. Wow, thanks for ruining my favorite song in the game, I could have gone my whole life without hearing rap lyrics over the crappiest beat I have ever heard. The chorus sounds like you are trying to make yourself sound gay. It doesn't sound remotely like the original track. Save crap like this for the mainstream.

You know, I think we try to be as fair as possible to respective opinions on stuff around here. I don't believe we fall into that stigma of the "circle jerk" that some people associate with what we do. But if there ever is a time where we might come off as such, it's in response to comments like this. I don't mind people not liking songs, but I do mind when people assert that we shouldn't do something we enjoy doing that you aren't being forced to listen to or pay for.

You could have said "This isn't my cup of tea. In terms of music, this DKC2 rap doesn't appeal to me." Saying you don't like something because of personal preferences or song quality is fine. Telling someone to keep their filthy hands off, however, is not.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad the song is ruined for you. :nicework:

Thanks for your opinion.

I love this mix (and album)! I've been listening to it all day. At first, the rap parts weren't working well for me but they've definitely grown on me. I was also driving to Boston with a friend of mine and had my shuffle on and this song came up. My friend, who never listens to remixes, thought it was great and was very impressed. Great source track and great mix. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like a bunch of white guys trying to rap. Thanks for ruining the song. Would have been better as an instrumental. Isn't that the majority of video game songs and soundtracks? Mostly all of them have no lyrics. There's a reason for it.

If this version of this song was actually in the game, I'd return the game.

Remixing isn't always about "replacing" the original with the remix. Those who remix are, among other things, expressing their creative take on source material and I for one put this on my ipod, I don't know if I'd hear this on a Linkin Park album LOL but that may be a good thing :tomatoface:

• 2 months later...

I don't want to get into a thing here and I think it's really great as is...

Having said that, any chance of an instrumental? Not even an instrumental, the rap is fine... just... without the chorus vocals?

I'm trying to think of a respectful way to phrase "I hate the way your voice sounds" and it's not coming to me, but I don't want to be unkind :\

• 4 weeks later...
Seems like we need a "vocal remix alliance" support group (;

Agreed. lol.

I like it. Not a big fan of rap - okay, the only rap I ever choose to listen to is either by Weird Al or from OCR - but nonetheless, this song is awesome.

That being said, compared to Hale-bopp's vocals on "Summertime," this is not exactly his best.

That being said: moar vocal remixes!

• 2 months later...

The unassuming way that this track starts off in is pretty cool. I'm not familiar with the source itself, but, the way this arrangement stands right now, it transcends a whole lot of levels. It could work as background music for one, as a medium to tell a story in another, and something to reflect on. And it works in all those senses very well.

The rapping style takes a little getting used to, but once I locked in on the flow, I realised just how well crafted the verses are. "I'm a bad boy like Diddy", haha, that wasn't a line I expected and it was pretty neat! I would have liked the rapping brought out a little more to make it easier to listen to but it ain't a major complaint.

The chorus is my favourite part of the song, and props to Hale-Bopp for the singing. His voice hooks you in from the moment you hear him. Besides the Rap-Rock elements that brings Linkin Park to mind, I truly believe the singing here is what really sells me the LP feel.

Maybe I was predisposed to liking this track the moment I read it's in the vein of LP, but kudos to Geoffrey Taucer for an awesome arrangement! The percussive intro is very cool (and I'd like to try something similar one day) and transitions well into the main body of the song. There's small things within each verse to keep you interested as the track progresses, which is really cool! I do wish the track was a touch louder for it feels as though there's a great deal of energy being held back that could have been released.

Like I said, I'm not too familiar with the source so I can't comment on many of the arrangement aspects, but because of this track, I'm gonna check out the rest of the DKC 2 album and the source material!!

I guess the best way to end this review is by saying, I love this bloody song! Great work!!

• 1 year later...

Honestly, the way I'm interprating this lyric suits my life very good. My favorite part is "All I know is pain, [...]"; which was written very well. Though I'm not the person who listens often to rap music, this masterpiece reflects my thoughts for the most part. Additionally, I just love to listen to it. I hope my critic isn't too bad at all - I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Sorry for my bad English - but I'm really appreciating this musical piece of art.

• 6 months later...
This is the last time I'll ask someone this. Can I have a version of this remix with the vocals removed. Once again I don't mean to offend.

Probably no point making this the last time: there will be others, and it'll be constant.

This is all on me, because I have most of the material required. I have plans for improvement and a possible instrumental, and I made it my sole responsibility. But considering my well-documented history of being just too damn busy, giving any ETA is impossible. I can only hope I won't have the same message this time next year.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02006 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Trapped in the Minds"