PlayStation Move: cool ideas or Wii rip-off?

Arcana

Sony are total dicks. They sound like Atari did with the Jaguar. Trust me, I was there and I was there having fistfights on the playgrounds during the bit-wars. Fuck Sony. There, I said it. The ad is not funny either. The ad is as awkward and forced as a giant enemy crab stealing Ninty's ideas.

Wow. I just finished watching that Youtube video, and... wow. That's the most dickass thing I have seen from Sony in a long time, and I still fondly remember the whole "PSP For X-Mas" fiasco.

This kind of attitude is exactly why I don't buy anything from Sony. I don't want to be associated with that kind of behavior. I can look at the fanboys of anything and not be too bothered by it, but when it's the company that acts like that... that's just too much.

I think I'll be continuing my plan of not buying any Sony systems for the next while, thank you very much. I'll buy a fucking NGage before I buy a PSP now.

You know what the worst part was? The entire "Kevin Butler" series of ads was actually the best marketing Sony had in years. They were funny, they weren't condescending, and they didn't make them look like fucktards. Way to ruin the only good thing you had going for you.

As much as I prefer the PS3 over the wannabe-pc-360, I can't see myself touching the PSMove; besides I got a Wii already. :lol:

Another note:

This kind of attitude is exactly why I don't buy anything from Sony. I don't want to be associated with that kind of behavior. ~ The Damned

Curiously what does a bad commercial have to do with anything else aside from the thing they're advertising? Are you saying that despite myself already owning both a PS3 and PSP prior to the release of that ad I'm now officially a complete asshole upon simply owning said Sony products? Seriously..?

The ad's stupid but funny regardless. :lol:

Not nearly as bad as some of the promotional VHS tapes Nintendo used to send out way back.

Curiously what does a bad commercial have to do with anything else aside from the thing they're advertising? Are you saying that despite myself already owning both a PS3 and PSP prior to the release of that ad I'm now officially a complete asshole upon simply owning said Sony products? Seriously..?

No. It's the history of things that Sony does, showing that they have no respect for their customers:

-All I want for Christmas is a PSP, and honestly believing that it would work

-DVD and CD Rootkit; denying it, lying about it, and then saying it was for our own good

-"You will work two or three jobs to get a PS3, and love it" when talking about the price tag

-"Motion Control is a gimmick, and will never succeed" and then quickly making their own (the sixaxis), despite none of their closest developers having heard about it until that E3

-Shitty customer service, poor warranty adherence, etc.

This ad just adds to the list of things that Sony does that shows how little they think of their customers. That's why I don't buy Sony stuff.

You can buy all the Sony stuff you want, but I'm not bothering with them.

This is a typical move. Funny that Sony and Microsoft both tried to make everyone believe motion controls were a bad gimmick and that HD and DLC is the way of the future, and yet, here we are, both are wanting that cash Nintendo ate up.

If Sony thinks that everyone who bought a wii will buy a PS3 and the PS Move, just to play in HD, they've clearly missed the point of it all. Sure HD is great, and there are great games in HD, but that's not what gaming is about. It's entertainment. And in a troubled economy AFFORDABLE entertainment is key.

Couple the fact that a controller set($100 possibly), the PS Eye ($50? Not sure on that), the console($300), and a game($60) your still looking at spending nearly $500. That defeats the purpose of making it affordable to the consumer. Yeah, I said consumer because if Sony is going to try and copy/follow Blue Ocean Strategy like Nintendo (they won't), then the consumer comes first, and how you can broaden the appeal of your product outside the obvious buyers.

There will be people buying this thing, but not as many as the gaming media, journalists, and analysts would like for us to believe....

This kind of attitude is exactly why I don't buy anything from Sony. I don't want to be associated with that kind of behavior. I can look at the fanboys of anything and not be too bothered by it, but when it's the company that acts like that... that's just too much.

I'm a Mac... and I'm a PC.

Also, I saw that commercial and rofled. I also bought a PS3 today. Huzzah!

Mac seems very... culty. Not like crazy religious... actually, that might not be too far from the truth.

Apple is like a bunch of people that so truly believe they are making something so incredible it will change the world, they don't see that they aren't doing anything that special. Hell, that iPad thing... sheesh.

Kind of full of themselves.

So I can see why you would make a comparison between Sony and Apple. ;-)

Sony is a more down to Earth asshole, who knows that they're throwing their weight around and punching children. Apple is the pretentious, condescending indie kid who, when he realizes that nobody likes him, is like "Oh, shoot. Was I just being a silly jerk this whole time? Whoopsie!"

Except Sony didn't make a device pretty much ubiquitous with 21st century music, or a smartphone that still a couple years later has other manufacturers playing catch-up (very debatable, granted, but still the impact must be noted). Yes the whole Mac vs. PC thing was overplayed but the commercials were generally funny and had their own very distinct style to them that was fresh and was also a kick back to some of their earlier ad campaigns.

I agree completely with The Damned when he said that the "Kevin Butler" series of ads was the best thing they had going for them recently. I mean, the crazy weird ones were cool but obviously not going to convert a lot of people. That said this commercial (which I hope is a web-only thing) just feels so childish and unnecessary, it looks like a visualization of a fanboy on a forum ranting about how great the Playstation Move is.

But then again I'm a slight 360 fanboy, in the sense that I own a 360 and don't really have any immediate plans to get a PS3 (although I did think about it when my out-of-warranty Xbox RROD'd). Also, I need to take a shower because I think I just defended both Microsoft and Apple in the same forum post.

Now that is funny.

QFE, QFT.

The Move? Honestly, it couldn't be a more transparent ripoff of the Wii. Whether or not it'll work as advertised is another thing. If it works better than the Wii Remote, good on 'em, I guess. But they're still several years late to the party AND the fact that they originally were adamantly against this sort of thing.

Really, people don't buy a PlayStation 3 for this kind of nonsense. Why bother, it's still bottom-line more than twice the cost of the Wii with no built in game-library for its target audience. Seems like a waste of time and development costs.

I own a Mac and plan on buying a ps3 when spring semester ends

thanks thread for making feel like a complete dickwad cultist

nah man personally i just think owning a mac is silly but there isnt anything wrong with it and ps3 or 360 doesnt matter to me just that people buy either or instead of a wii

There was a comparison once of a Sony device and the reviewer made frequent comments about how difficult it was to hook up Sony device A to a Sony TV and lamented something about, "Sony should have learned from Apple and made sure that their own products worked in unison with each other".

As for the Playstation Move, I wonder if people will care, or be interested in the fact that this machine can do HD!