Scary, scary moments...

The Biznut

Alright. Take a breath Kaleb.

I am DJing a Junior High dance right now, got my Bose L1 series II beside me. 2 sub units. About 20 minutes ago, I switch to a slow song with a good base line, and the bass starts buzzing.

Dear Lord, please tell me the speakers are not blown.

I systematically eliminate the other possibilities.

Bypass the Kaoss Pad

Still brutal bass distortion

Plug into a different mixer input.

Still brutal bass distortion

Adjust every possible setting.

No change....at this point I am literally sick to my stomach. This is not a cheap system, and I am doubtful I can afford to replace it atm. I dj tomorrow too...

I check one last possibility. I string some cables directly from my lappys AUX output to the mixer and boot up a new dj program.

The sound is clean.

Thank.

God.

My Torq Xponent is the problem, and while yeah, that sucks, I can live without it, especially when I found out my 3800 dollar Bose setup was okay.

Freaking Scary Moment!!! I feel 2 years older, lol!

Close calls, scary moments, etc. Post em.

I have one from a few years ago at the 2007 Philly meetup. Wes, Jill and I were walking around in the city and some GIGANTIC hornet landed on me. Now, I hate bees... a lot. I don't have a phobia or anything but this thing was easily several inches long and had a visible stinger. I was only wearing a tshirt and shorts so it had lots of potential places to sting me. It wouldn't fly off me either, so, in a panic, I said I would hit it with a newspaper and then run the hell away. Now, keep in mind I'm wearing sandals here...

So, we were preparing to cross the street when this happened, and the light was about to turn red for us (unable to cross). I should point out this was at MARKET street, one of the busiest in the city. Anyway, like an idiot, I was so panicked that rather than running BACKWARD away from the road, I ran straight INTO the road as soon as I hit the hornet. I sprinted so fast that I tripped on my own sandals and fell right in the middle of the road... when we didn't have the walk sign. My wallet also fell out of my pocket.

So, short version, I basically ran into oncoming traffic and TRIPPED IN THE CROSSWALK (scraping the hell out of myself) and dropped my wallet all the while trying not to get stung by this giant-ass hornet. The worst thing is it didn't even sting me in the end so I just felt like a moron. I think I remember Wes saying I would have won a Darwin Award if a car actually hit me :P

I have one frmo a few years ago at the 2007 Philly meetup. Wes, Jill and I were walking around in the city and some GIGANTIC hornet landed on me. Now, I hate bees... a lot. I don't have a phobia or anything but this thing was easily several inches long and had a visible stinger. I was only wearing a tshirt and shorts so it had lots of potential places to sting me. It wouldn't fly off me either, so, in a panic, I said I would hit it with a newspaper and then run the hell away. Now, keep in mind I'm wearing sandals here...

So, we were preparing to cross the street when this happened, and the light was about to turn red for us (unable to cross). I should point out this was at MARKET street, one of the busiest in the city. Anyway, like an idiot, I was so panicked that rather than running BACKWARD away from the road, I ran straight INTO the road as soon as I hit the hornet. I sprinted so fast that I tripped on my own sandals and fell right in the middle of the road... when we didn't have the walk sign. My wallet also fell out of my pocket.

So, short version, I basically ran into oncoming traffic and TRIPPED IN THE CROSSWALK (scraping the hell out of myself) and dropped my wallet all the while trying not to get stung by this giant-ass hornet. The worst thing is it didn't even sting me in the end so I just felt like a moron. I think I remember Wes saying I would have won a Darwin Award if a car actually hit me :P

I'm sorry, but thats actually F'ing hilarious.

My scariest moment was probably when i dislocated my collarbone snow boarding.

I live in Colorado so most schools have a "ski club" that takes a school bus up to the slopes on the weekends. Its cheap, its easy and you get to hang out with a bunch of school friends. Well, my second time up I had had a great day on the slopes and was pulling off tricks I hadn't even tried before, including my first inverted trick. Well, ironically, on my last run of the day, when half of our group had decided to turn in because we only had half an hour before our bus left, ON THE WAY TO THE BOARD PARK, I had decided to just point downhill and get down a side run as quickly as possible... Well, i was going somewhere around 50-60 mph and hit a patch of ice, fell and bounced off the side of the run, falling into a patch of trees.

I was only being followed by one of my friends who wasn't terribly sure of herself, so I didn't think she was going to go down a black to get to the park. It was getting dark and at that point i had 5 minutes to get down to the bottom of the run. I ended up being so afraid of being left that I pulled myself up the bank and all the way up to the main runs... a couple hundred feet. That was with a dislocated and broken (in several places) collarbone, a broken rotator cuff and torn ligaments in and around my arm... And i felt ALL of that... So yeah, i was pretty scared.

I was once in a 20 foot long cube truck driving outside of Winnipeg (the coldest, most god-forsaken city in Canada.

That would be the end of the story right for Canadians. Brrrr, Winnipeg. :<

For the rest of you, I'll give you the full version.

The roads that night were icier than any I've been on before, and that's saying something for where I live. These roads were like super-polished death ice, covered with zero-grip super slick, with a layer of hatred-for-all-things-friction-related on top.

The road into Winnipeg is very interesting, in that they have these massive, deep ditches on the side. Like, you could park small aircraft in them, and you wouldn't be able to tell unless you were looking right into them. These things are massive. And judging from the number of completely destroyed cars in them, deadly.

The cube van we were in decided that it was tired of traveling in a straight line. Well, sort of. You see, at some point, as we were approaching Winnipeg, the van developed a sudden desire to turn to the left. But momentum made us continue going in the original direction. We were, about 20km/h under the usual speed limit, facing perpendicular to the direction of traffic while still traveling with it.

The guy driving managed to steer it back in the right direction, but this only made the cube truck turn 180 degrees. We were now facing completely to the right while still traveling with traffic. This repeated a few time until we lost enough speed to get proper control, at which point we found the first exit off the highway and get into the city itself.

Those ditches I mentioned before? We did this little ice ballet in the right-most lane, only ten feet from the ditch. If we had gone in, I don't think we would have survived. Momentum alone would have crushed the cab. There would have been no saving us, we would be dead.

Still, I had to spend a night in Winnipeg during the winter, so I'm not sure which is the scarier of the two events...

Another time was when I was pipe-lining up by Grand Cache in the winter. They put the pipe sections on large support pillars, and then weld the gas pipe together before they put it in the ground. You have sections of pipe that are literally miles long. This one section was going down a very large, very steep valley across a small river.

To hold this mile and a half long section of pipe (I think it was 12 inch diameter pipe, with a 3/4 inch wall. Nothing too big, but still a lot of weight) in place, they tied the end at the top of the slope to a large caterpillar tractor with heavy metal rope. More than enough to hold it.

OK, maybe not. Someone tried to drive their pick-up truck uphill in the ice-covered snow. This didn't work. Instead, they slid back and smashed into the front of the caterpillar tractor. This shocked the tractor enough that it made it slip a few feet downhill. When it stopped, the tension on the metal rope holding the pipe snapped (cold metal plus sudden force... go figure).

Well, when this was happening, we were doing x-ray inspection about... half way down the slope, I think. It's a long way down. We can see the pipe shift, and we all stop what we're doing. I'm closest to the pipe, as I was wrapping x-ray film around it. As soon as I look up, it starts to slid downhill. I am only inches away from a giant metal snake a mile and a half long, traveling downhill and taking everything if catches with it. It was picking up speed fast.

I automatically dropped onto one knee, rolled under the pipe between two support pillars, and practically leaped into the trees next to us. Just as I made it back on my feet, the entire pipeline dropped to the ground, making the deepest, bassiest thud I have ever heard, and watch as it streaks by me, ten feet away, faster than I can make out. The weld on this are thirty or so feet apart, and I can't see how many of them are going be me.

It went down hill, across the river valley floor, and went partially uphill. The ice gave it no resistance, the steep slope gave it lots of potential energy, and the weight gave it inertia. It buried the bottom-most end about fifty feet into the other slope, roughly three hundred feet uphill.

Work was canceled that day, we went back to the camp, and I watched some movies and got paid for it. Fuck yeah, physics!

Walking home after a night of drinking with my boyfriend and having the misfortune of walking past a house full of drunken teenagers who recently (within the last 10 minutes) had their car windows smashed.

Of course, the teenagers saw us and immediately assumed we were the ones who did it, they started swarming around us throwing accusations galore at us, then one particularly large teenager runs out of the house with a big fucking butcher knife and starts charging at my boyfriend. One of the teens just says "You better fucking run, asshole." So my boyfriend takes off, with this knife-wielding prick chasing him down the street.

I went the other direction, whipped out my phone and called the police. No idea what happened to my boy. I hid behind a fence in a neighbours yard until I heard the police sirens, terrified out of my mind that my boyfriend is bleeding to death on a street somewhere.

Finally I get home and talk to the police, only to find out that my boy had run to his car, got in, locked the doors and driven off. Guess what? He's the one that got in trouble for drink driving. Nevermind that he probably would've been butchered if he hadn't driven off. Stupid cops.

I tell you, there's nothing more terrifying than having no idea where your loved one is after seeing him chased out of your sight with a weapon. All these horrible scenarios were running through my mind. I'm just glad he wasn't hurt.

I should come up with a more scary moment where I am almost die. Losing a 4 grand Bose setup is not really scary when those stories start coming out!

Stuff
pfffft

I live in Grande Prairie, so I also say pfffft. :-o Haha! jk, slippery roads are exciting. And dude I would have LOVED to see that pipe roll down the hill and UP THE OTHER SIDE. Crazy.

When I overdosed on benadryl and dramamine one night trying to kill myself because of the situation I was in which was one I just abhorred.

I was yelling at everyone, hitting everyone, ripping out the iv's, and had to go to a mental hospital for 4 days.

Not fun at all. :banghead::x

I have one from a few years ago at the 2007 Philly meetup. Wes, Jill and I were walking around in the city and some GIGANTIC hornet landed on me. Now, I hate bees... a lot. I don't have a phobia or anything but this thing was easily several inches long and had a visible stinger. I was only wearing a tshirt and shorts so it had lots of potential places to sting me. It wouldn't fly off me either, so, in a panic, I said I would hit it with a newspaper and then run the hell away. Now, keep in mind I'm wearing sandals here...

Oh man I had forgotten that until just reading this! The worst part about that was that the hornet chased you across the road I seemed to remember. That was scary seeing you run right into potential traffic though.

I don't think I have any moments that qualifies as scary, scary moments - I tend not to get scared to such extremities in a short period of time & for an extended one. I've had numerous instances where I'd almost get hit by dumb drivers, including just flat out inattentive drivers from no visible distraction, drivers talking on their cellphones, and drivers texting. There was one time at night I remember being on the Major Deegan Expressway/I-87 in the Bronx in a car with friends and seeing a car in front of us zigzagging across all of the lanes in the highway, which was scary and fortunately my friend deftly passed by the drunk/high/who knows what person driving so erratically.

There was another time I was on I-74 in Champaign-Urbana, IL with a friend, driving on the right lane of the highway back to Urbana when all of the sudden we see this huge rock take up 1/3 of our lane on the right side - we were sandwiched by a car on our left & behind us, so it looked like we were going to hit the rock and flip or something crazy; I honestly thought I was going to die. Somehow my friend managed to evade the rock and not hit another car, which I still don't know how he managed to do.

I probably could come up with more given time, but I'm tired :-(

The OP was about music equipment, though I think it is the only post related to VG or music.

I drove home from a concert last night, 5 hours away. It was 3am and I was running out of gas. The low fuel light came on 30km from the next city. I said a prayer and continued on. I thought I was fairly calm about it until I heard I heard the car sputter as I was climbing a large hill. Then thoughts of waiting in my no-longer-warm car for an hour or maybe more for the next vehicle to come by flashed through my mind. It was scary.

I ended up making it to the next town. Not even the high fuel price could spoil that moment :-o

My scariest moment music wise was doing sound for a play back in high school. We were running it off an ancient amplifier, which tended to overheat sporadically. I had rigged up a heat sink using some water bottles in a paint roller tray (Which worked surprisingly well I might add), and things seemed to be going okay. But just before the intermission, and right when we needed the sound effect for a door slamming shut, it died. This was the first time I'd been given the responsibility for the sound of an entire show and for a couple of seconds I was frozen thinking I was about to mess up the whole thing. I don't know how I came up with the idea, but I ended up slamming my fist against a door that was up there, which worked just as well. No one noticed the difference, which was even better.

Scariest moment in life was probably the time I had to take my moped (maximum speed of 30 mph) up one of the busiest streets in town to get to work. Even though it was only 8 in the morning, there were cars zipping by me at 60-70 easily. No bike lanes, barely any sidewalk. I was honestly convinced the entire time that a car was going to clip me and send me into the street where I'd get run over by another car. The trip back was just as bad, and I'll tell you I was never more glad to see a Starbucks than I was to see the one on the corner where I knew some back streets home.

I've had a few scary moments. Getting trapped underground in a storm drain system during a massive storm, and subsequently getting washout out of the drain system by the force of water and spewed into a river (there was a 12 foot drop involved in there). My body did not fair well.

Another moment would have been running and hiding in the basement tunnels of an old mental hospital while someone was searching for us. And probably my most recent scary moment was watching my $3,000 digital camera tumble down some stairs and land on a tile floor. Somehow it escaped without a scratch. Thank you Nikon for quality.

Also, TO, that's a freaky run in you and your boyfriend had. Glad you escaped that without injury!