OCR02008 - Star Fox Adventures "Fossil's Oasis"

djpretzel

Leave it to you two to ReMix a theme from a game like StarFox Adventures, something that brings back a ton of childhood memories, and make it into one of the most awesome-sounding things in a long while.

Its quite obvious that the cooperation and effort put in on both sides was mutualistic, and the end product has the effect of simultaneously making me want to cry (in a good way) and rawk out like there's no tomorrow. Shweet tune, and looking forward to hearing many more awesome tunes!!! :-o

Oh, man. I'm loving this song, but I can't put a finger on why. I hated Star Fox Adventures (although, in retrospect, the music was pretty rockin'), and I don't have good memories of the source material, which is usually what pushes a ReMix from 'good music' to 'oh-my-God-it's-my-childhood!' status. This isn't my style of music, either - so, despite having three strikes against it in my books, it's still a pleasure to listen to. And I don't know why!

Moral of the story - musical tastes can be modified by random new discoveries. Thanks, Level 99 and Luiza! I can't explain how I like your tune, but, by God, I do!

LOVE this...it's been on my playlist since the DoD entry. I had a hard time figuring out the remixer since DoD starts out as anonymous entrants, but had LuIzA in the back of my head for this one. As soon as the results were announced, level 99's participation caught me with surprise...and collabing with LuIzA no less? OMG.

The source choice came out of left field since SFA's soundtrack is so unappreciated...I admit that I really didn't give the game or its music a fair chance. After listening to this, however, it makes me want to give the game a go. Everything about this remix is made of win! I love how both remixers feed off each other during this song. That solo mid-track is especially face-melting.

Hope you guys collab again! And LuIzA, submit Bunker Half-Pipe!

This is a pretty mellow mix so far. I really enjoy the contrast from the ethnic tones to the rock parts. I have no idea who did what parts of this song - which I think is a testament to the good integration that these two guitarists have achieved.

The song has a bit of a sad, lamenting tone to it. I found the song a little on the long side but that's not really a problem. I was kind of expecting the song to end around 3:48. You guys tricked me!

I'm totally unfamiliar with the source unfortunately and how it all integrates together.

Recommend. Good work you two.

This is damn near everything I love about guitar-driven rock wrapped up into one track. Holy hell. I haven't been this unexpectedly floored by a recent mix in a long time. I already knew you both kicked ass, but now I'm getting everything you've ever made. No back off mom, those scribbles are mine!

Prog bias. Yeah, what of it? This is a textbook example of taking a short, melodic idea and continually mutating it into a rocker's dozen of unique yet coherent sections. I went and listened to the sources (awesome stuff there, btw - temped to buy the game because of the sounds alone, so thanks for guiding me to an awesome new-to-me soundtrack) and, despite them being fairly long, there isn't a tremendous amount to work with. Which is to say that Dave Wise made the most of his melody; but for unpaid folk to take the work of a pro and double it up (, with guitarssssss), well... that's certainly nothing to scoff at. Nay, it's something to rock the fox out to.

So aside from how well each section compliments those preceding it and builds into the next, the layering is freaking fantastic. I suppose I cheated a bit by reading the breakdown, but there is some fine timbre selection (distortion, etc) on the electric and some stellar complimenting/interplay between all the guitars. And ALL THE GUITARS. Oh, sorry, I guess there were other instruments in there too; I just got excited. Everything fits, which is impressive due to all the stylistic and pacing changeups... even that oooh-y synth before the original section works.

And the original section: that was the best part of the entire track. "Fresh air" my toejam though. The entire mix is invigorating. What the original section did was stay in the spirit of the mother source while blasting into outer space. The fact that the return landing generates devil horns is simply a compliment to the following well-done section, and it's far, far from the only diabolical genius in this track.

Wicked shit like this makes a piano man love guitars. Rock on, Luiza. Rock on, Stevo.

Thanks to everyone who listened. it really means a lot to me that you enjoyed it. I had a blast doing this track with Stevo and on top of that, this track means a lot to me. it's not only an actual remix of a song I've always wanted to do since before getting into remixing (as some of you may have read in the judges' thread), but also one that represents a bit part of what I grew up listening to.... so, lots of memories here. :)

I'll have to pick this game up again sometime, as I had thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I never finished it. And I don't remember the source, either.

All that aside, this remix is definitely rockin' the right way. Major kudos to the both of you, your skills are mighty.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Man, Fossil's Oasis is a journey every time I listen to it. Even as background music, I can still feel its primal energy. The bridges between relaxing segments and turbulent ones are deliciously crafty and give enough warning for the listener to prepare for and appreciate what comes next. I especially like how the original section exudes different colors and emotions. Is it contemplating its existence? On its way home? Or just leading its own favorite dance number? Whatever it's feeling, it's all good in my book.

This mix is an ecosystem unto itself.

• 4 months later...

BOOM!

This arrangement is something I listen to when I'm writing. Because it, like me, has a story to tell, and it does so epically and majestically. It has those wonderful, power ballad guitars, but at such a deliberate pace. It's like the careful and precise metalwork at Hephaestus's forge. Each blow and strike has all the energy needed but in a very controlled fashion.

In short, this mix just means a lot to me and is hands down one of my favorite arrangements on OCR.

Man, Fossil's Oasis is a journey every time I listen to it. This mix is an ecosystem unto itself.

I like you're style; you seem to know what I'm talking about. :-)

• 5 months later...

One of the most grand, memorable rock collabs on the site. Pretty much everything I have to express about this mix has been stated much more elegantly by the previous two posters, but I wanted to chime in because I almost let this one slip out of my routine, and I deeply regret it. Absolutely amazing, but I guess I shouldn't have expected anything less from the two involved parties :-)

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02008 - Star Fox Adventures "Fossil's Oasis"