Chemical Planet (Chemical Plant Zone - Sonic the Hedgehog 2)

manamaniac

Well, first off i think the drums have too much reverb and are definitely too loud. Especially the snare drum. I think some general tweaking there should help out a lot. Try lowering the whole drum tracks volume and then lower the cymbals a little bit. You want the the kick and the snare to be the predominant of the whole drum track. The cymbals, at least i've found, should be about half the volume of the snare/kick. Also, the bass seems to overpower the track sometimes.

I think lowering the volume of all the tracks will help smooth out the clashing i'm hearing during the track. Once that's sorted out you can continue working on this cause its still a great start man. One last suggestion is to maybe speed up the tempo ever so slightly. Maybe 5bpm and see how that sounds?

Looking forward to your next update!

Thanks for the comments/suggestions :smile: I'm still new to music production so everything helps and I really appreciate the input.

I'll (hopefully) have an update soon that will have a bit more meat to it than what's up currently. I'll also play with the reverb and volumes and see if I can get more of the sound that I'd like to have.

EDIT: Alright, done working for tonight. After playing with the reverb, drums, and sax I feel like this is actually coming along nicely. My thoughts are summed up on the newgrounds page

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/320191

The sax is so rigid. I get the impression you're trying to make it jazz or jazz-like but that saxophone just plays so dang mechanically, it's just forced.

There's an instrument which sounds so incredibly fake I've no idea what it's supposed to be. I can tell you it ain't the bass or the drums or the cymbals or the sax, and I can tell you it needs to change.

The sax is so rigid. I get the impression you're trying to make it jazz or jazz-like but that saxophone just plays so dang mechanically, it's just forced.

There's an instrument which sounds so incredibly fake I've no idea what it's supposed to be. I can tell you it ain't the bass or the drums or the cymbals or the sax, and I can tell you it needs to change.

I agree that the sax is very... not human to say the least. This will change though once a friend of mine gets back home for spring break. We're going to try a live recording of it to get rid of that mechanical sound. And that instrument is a heavily modified guitar plugin that, for now, is just a place holder.

Thanks for the input and keep checking for updates

• 1 month later...