OCR01216 - *YES* Morrowind 'Fear Not' *RESUB*

djpretzel

I really like the mood, sounds, and arrangement in general. There are some very nice points, such as 2:14, that really shine with this track. Piano is organic and pretty, even if it's a bit bright for my tastes.

However, I'm not a big fan of the synth improv solo in the middle of this track. It uses blue notes to no end, which, in my opinion, doesn't fit with the mood of the song. There's a very airy, epic quality to the song, and the blue-note riddled solo sticks out like a sore thumb. It feels very inappropriate and gratuitous, especially with the surrounding material.

There are also a few points in this track where things get too busy, particularly when the piano plays under the synth lead. The balance feels off.

I'd like to pass this track, but I can't get past that solo. Borderline NO.

Old vote, kthx. Scroll down for the big YES.

bah.

the first half this song is beautiful

however, the piano comping over the solo is terrible. it sounds very inorganic. The solo is also akwardly played. the mixer clearly doesnt have much experience with the blues. the mix would be much better without the solo.

i feel also that it doesnt quite build enough for such a long mix. by the end it feels like more of the same. I think it's passable now, but i'd prefer to hear some retinkering.

YES

EDIT: Changing my vote, resubmit plz.

NO

A nice change of pace from the orchestral remixes we've seen on this theme.

What I love about this is the great balance of keeping things synthesized yet sounding very chill, soft and smooth at the same time. Instrument selection is great, as is the panning and production.

Good arrangement work so it gets a yes from me.

YES

And ohh, how I loathe phat b33tz. Objective criticism shall be, dare I say, difficult to aspire to.

The piano solo in the middle dances on the razor's edge of awkward and forceful. Sometimes it misses the timing completely, but that's only apparent to the readily critical ear. I completely agree with Darke about the millenial synth solo.

The second half is the strongest arguement for this song, but all things being equal, that is just a half of the song. Don't get me wrong. Most of the piece I enjoyed. However, the irksome parts I simply could not bring myself to ignore or forgive.

A luke-warm no

Wow, this song is becomming rather popular of late.

How many remixes have we had so far? Quite a few I recon.

Hmm. I don't have any issues with that blues solo. It works very well. Theres nothing .. whoa...

ok, now I get it. At 3 minutes. I remember this now.

Yea, that piano chord section needs to be redone, or else

NO

As for the rest, very cool. Redo that section, resubmit.

As I promised, the flaws were fixed, so

YES

• 2 weeks later...