Final Fantasy

Brandon Strader

http://kotaku.com/5499449/ceo-well-explore-the-possibility-of-final-fantasy-vii-remake

FF7 Remake.

Blank stare.

(i want it for console)

DarkeSword EDIT: I'm making this the Final Fantasy series thread. If you want to make a new thread for a specific Final Fantasy game, feel free to do so. Just be aware that if that thread turns into a series discussion, it'll be rolled into this one.

Edited by DarkeSword
change title

It's just plain economics, I would be surprised if they're still just considering it. Obviously you will have the crowd that prefers the original and will refuse to buy and even protest a remake, but that's not even close to the percentage of people who would stand outside gamestop to pick it up on opening night.

Spinoffs not bringing in the expected amount of money? That's perfectly fine, they have a solution right here.

Ya know, I want this to happen really bad just like the rest of you crazies. BUT, I don't see square dropping money and development time into it. Why? Cause its' already been done. Even if a million fans rage for it, the almighty dollar decides.

I'd love to be wrong here! I would love to see FF7 in next gen hardware! And also just to see how bad ass everything in the game would look. Can you imagine Sephiroth?! The WEAPONS?! Damn man. I am for it. But I really doubt Square will bother unless there is a huge outcry from the gaming community here, in Europe, and especially Japan. If enough people want it, they may do something more than make a teaser trailer that goes no where...:wink: Here's to hoping!

Cause it was the first good 3D rpg probably. It is a great game. I'll admit that its not head-and-shoulders above the others like some people claim, but still.

Regarding the remake; the ff7 spinoffs were so so bad apart from advent children. If it's ultimately bad, big whoop I still have the original. It's like ocr in that respect :D.

what about 8?

I was with you until you said 8. FFVIII was a bad game in almost every respect. A highly polished bad game to be sure, but it was still craptacular.

Anyway, I agree with Level 99. There was a time when Square actually tried to explore new concepts and franchises. I miss those days, because a lot of awesome games were made before it became all FFVII spinoffs and sequels.

Anyway, I agree with Level 99. There was a time when Square actually tried to explore new concepts and franchises. I miss those days, because a lot of awesome games were made before it became all FFVII spinoffs and sequels.

Agreed. Even though most of the sequels, spinoffs and remakes are pretty good, I'd prefer actual new stuff. I'm very happy with FF13 so far, but it took forever to come out. I wish they were already working on FF15 right now.

I'm always disappointed when FF6, FF4, and maybe FF5 don't get serious remake talk. Except from some of you here.

FF6 beats the hell out of every FF that followed it (to be fair I haven't played FF13 yet, but it doesn't sound like it).

Anyone that thinks FF7 is the best needs to go back to FF6, get over the lack of CGI, settle in, and enjoy what MAY be the best all-round JRPG in history.

I'm always disappointed when FF6, FF4, and maybe FF5 don't get serious remake talk.

FF4 just got remade for the DS, do we really need another one?

Also it's kind of a shame how quickly every Final Fantasy discussion on the internets devolves into:

• people telling each other which Final Fantasy is the best
  • hating on Nomura for using too many belts in character designs

FF4 just got remade for the DS, do we really need another one?

Also it's kind of a shame how quickly every Final Fantasy discussion on the internets devolves into:

• people telling each other which Final Fantasy is the best
  • hating on Nomura for using too many belts in character designs

A real re-make of FF4 for (PS3, 360, PC), not a PS1 quality overhaul, is what I really desire. When people talk an FF7 re-make, they're not saying PS2-level polish, they want the game split-shined and graphically rebuilt with the best technology available.

Don't know if the bit about the belts part was directed at my comments, but to be clear, pre-PS1 FF titles had better characters and stories that didn't generally center exclusively on spikey haired, pissy orphan teenagers, and rather played host to a diverse set of characters and complex stories (especially FF6).

They can't do it. It would take too long. Every single art asset would need to be approved by their fashion committee to make sure it looks fabulous enough and meets their minimum belt quota. Oh, and they'd have to remove all the towns as well because it's too much work these days.

hehehehehehehehe

Really, only FF7 and FF8 have the super emo characters going on. FF9 goes back to the light-hearted plots of the "good old days", and while Tidus has some fashion problems, the majority of the story is really less about him and more about Yuna anyway until the end.

My biggest problem with FF7/8 isn't plot anyway -- it's that they made the "main" characters flat-out-better in every way than the others. There's no good gameplay reason for making Cloud and (again especially) Squall so much better than the rest of the cast.

In all this discussion, the one complaint I find odd is people asking for Square-Enix to focus on a new franchise. Why should they bother? Every mainline Final Fantasy has a brand new gameplay system, new setting, new characters, and often a new director and composer now. What would a new brand name bring that Final Fantasy doesn't have already? A game made in a new franchise would have a smaller budget in all likelihood since Square-Enix would anticipate lower sales due to lack of FF brand recognition. I mean, a large budget does not a good game make, but I love how each Final Fantasy is very different from the previous ones AND manages to get 3-4 years of polish, budget, and time.

In all this discussion, the one complaint I find odd is people asking for Square-Enix to focus on a new franchise. Why should they bother? Every mainline Final Fantasy has a brand new gameplay system, new setting, new characters, and often a new director and composer now.

That's a good point. Although there are still many similarities between the different entries in the series. In particular the stories tend to have similar themes, such as how much a person is defined by their past actions and their memories, memory loss in general, friendship vs. family etc.. And superficially of course there are the obvious things like chocobos, moogles and the standard summons.

I mean, a large budget does not a good game make, but I love how each Final Fantasy is very different from the previous ones AND manages to get 3-4 years of polish, budget, and time.

Yeah me too.

In all this discussion, the one complaint I find odd is people asking for Square-Enix to focus on a new franchise. Why should they bother? Every mainline Final Fantasy has a brand new gameplay system, new setting, new characters, and often a new director and composer now. What would a new brand name bring that Final Fantasy doesn't have already? A game made in a new franchise would have a smaller budget in all likelihood since Square-Enix would anticipate lower sales due to lack of FF brand recognition. I mean, a large budget does not a good game make, but I love how each Final Fantasy is very different from the previous ones AND manages to get 3-4 years of polish, budget, and time.

This. I was watching someone play FF13 and I couldn't tell what was going on at all. The games evolve quite a bit with each iteration.

Anyway, this is nothing new. Square has hinted that they'd consider an FF7 remake but aren't actively planning one. Scytheful from #ocremix put it best - when they're hurting financially, they'll make an FF7 remake because they know it will pull in tons of cash.