Final Fantasy

Brandon Strader

From what I've read and otherwise come to understand, the only possibility that exists of an FF7 remake is one where all of the original leads for the project were all involved and 100% committed. Seeing as SE is branching out as prophet pointed out, I really doubt this will happen - in fact, the only situation I could see this occurring in is in a world where SE is not doing well financially and they need something guaranteed to revive the flow of sweet money honey.

Not saying I wouldn't like to see it, though!

Anyway, this is nothing new. Square has hinted that they'd consider an FF7 remake but aren't actively planning one. Scytheful from #ocremix put it best - when they're hurting financially, they'll make an FF7 remake because they know it will pull in tons of cash.

Personally, I figured the reason they have yet to announce a FF7 remake is out of fear that a current-gen home console remake would cost as much (or more) as a new mainline FF yet being a remake would not draw in the sales that a brand new shiny FF would. This is kind of why I think we might see the FF7 remake on the PSP. I hear rumors about the PSP2 from time to time. If I were Sony and I were planning a PSP2, I'd be doing my damndest to convince Square-Enix to put the FF7 remake on the PSP2. I know I'D buy a PSP2 just for it. Just like I got a Playstation 1 for FF7.

I was with you until you said 8. FFVIII was a bad game in almost every respect. A highly polished bad game to be sure, but it was still craptacular.

Anyway, I agree with Level 99. There was a time when Square actually tried to explore new concepts and franchises. I miss those days, because a lot of awesome games were made before it became all FFVII spinoffs and sequels.

Dude, FF8 has a much stronger story than FF7. FF7 is filled with plot holes and motherfucking TIFA NOT TELLING THE TRUTH TO CLOUD WHICH WOULD HAVE PREVENTED METEO FROM BEING CAST IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Boobs for brains is responsible for most of the destruction in FF7. Hell all the characters are fucking idiots and its obvious that they were built around getting the "plot" to a specific place without regards to personality or character development. And the idiots in this game:

"Oh so Sephiroth needs this huge temple to be turned into a black materia? Cool, lets do it for him."

Cloud was manipulated, but it doesn't explain all the others being idiots.

FF7 would "take too long" says Square:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/20/kitase-final-fantasy-vii-remake-unrealistic-would-take-too-l/

Actually, I don't think it'll take as long as they imagine but they would have to re-draw everything, including towns and monsters, as well as re-render everything. I suspect that a large amount of time would have to be spent re-treading old ideas, and digging into vaults that they don't even have anymore.

Also,

"We'll 'Explore the Possibility' of Final Fantasy VII Remake" is corporate code-talk for "If we say this, will you all shut up and stop asking for it already? Stupid idiot fans."

Dude, FF8 has a much stronger story than FF7. FF7 is filled with plot holes and motherfucking TIFA NOT TELLING THE TRUTH TO CLOUD WHICH WOULD HAVE PREVENTED METEO FROM BEING CAST IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Boobs for brains is responsible for most of the destruction in FF7. Hell all the characters are fucking idiots and its obvious that they were built around getting the "plot" to a specific place without regards to personality or character development. And the idiots in this game:

"Oh so Sephiroth needs this huge temple to be turned into a black materia? Cool, lets do it for him."

amen, brother.

it drives me nuts when people say that games that aren't overwhelmingly successful in the critical arena are bad (ff8 comes to mind, as well as games like army of two, warhawk, blood on the sand, etc). those games might not be extremely awesome in every category, but they are fun games that are enjoyable to play. if you're going to knock a game, play it first, for christ's sake. don't just spit out what IGN's review said or something. add something interesting to the discussion.

I will say I like it when they take risks -- The World Ends With You is still probably the best RPG for the DS platform. More innovative stuff would be great. I don't care whether it's tied to the FF franchise or not really, just keep giving me awesome stuff to play.

YES TWEWY. Despite the fact that I earlier defended Square for sticking with mainline Final Fantasy, TWEWY is my FAVORITE. VIDEOGAME. PERIOD.

amen, brother.

it drives me nuts when people say that games that aren't overwhelmingly successful in the critical arena are bad (ff8 comes to mind, as well as games like army of two, warhawk, blood on the sand, etc). those games might not be extremely awesome in every category, but they are fun games that are enjoyable to play. if you're going to knock a game, play it first, for christ's sake. don't just spit out what IGN's review said or something. add something interesting to the discussion.

FF8 has a thing playing against it, if you are used to big flashy spells, then when you start playing FF8 you abuse the GFs.

However, the real power is behind physical attacks and magic junctioning. And when you do it right, the battles get shorter, more exciting, and you get to play a whole different experience. At that point you can spend some time exploring a well fleshed out world, enjoy a very complex card game system, and enjoy a complex story that does not depend on one character shutting up about something (Except Irvine, who isn't sure of his own memories at that point). Sure the plot isn't hole proof, but it isn't has horrendous as FF7's is with the lack of logic.

They stick to old franchises because they kind of lost their souls somewhere along the way.

At least that's how I feel. The closest they came to getting it back was FF12, which I think was a neat game. Why? Because they tried something different, even the most annoying characters weren't as annoying as say... Tidus... They TRIED to have a semblance of a story, the battle system was great... The music wasn't Uematsu but it wasn't TRYING to be... They paid homage to Final Fantasy Tactics, had lots of side quests... And a really nice atmosphere, it felt open and adventurous.

That being said... I haven't played FFXIII, and don't really intend to for a while... Why? Because I just don't expect it to be great... Why? Because they turn me off with all the fluff... Character designs have gone way off the ridiculous board and into just... I dunno... what happened? Why does every character have to look like they from the 90210 or Friends cast, dressed in ten thousand feathers and belts with their hair dipped in blood and rainbow clothing that seems more detrimental to their crazy and amazing, yet nonsensical battle animations, p.s. COLORS EVERYWHERE!!!

/rant

Why remake FFVII? Because it was the game that those guys made, before they had REAL success... Before they started letting it get to them, before they lost their edge and covered it all up in fluff.

I don't want them to, but honestly I think Square had a good run, that ended about ten years ago, we've just all been in denial about it. Or maybe I am just getting old.

And anyway... Why not remake it? That's what EVERYONE is doing nowadays to make a buck. Why not one more eh? The decade of everyone and their mother selling out.

p.s. Tifa didn't say anything because she was confused, and wanted to wait and see... That's the explanation that was given, not saying it was great but I find it understandable.

And sorry but "OMG WE FORGOT THAT WE ALL GREW UP TOGETHER BECAUSE OF OUR GFS" is the worst plot element of a FF game ever.

i still am :(

Yes you are.

I never ever see what the big deal about remakes is. I want the remade game itself to do the talking. I wasn't sure about FFIV DS remake because I hate Matrix Software's 3D engine for DS and I heard many conflicting things about it and it ended up being a good solid purchase. FFIII DS not so much.

Like a lot else of whats said on the topic, the nostalgia VS innovation thing doesn't hold its water to me. It just seems like a lot of fluff that doesn't actually amount to much. We bitch about remakes and then go out and buy them or try them anyway. If the remake works, awesome, if it doesn't, there's always the original. It's a toss-up at its core, just like the original was.

I just don't see whats so difficult about it.

I think FF7 is actually the FF most deserving of a remake; awful character models, terrible translation, a cool gameplay system that unfortunately very quickly becomes stale and broken (one character gets all the summons the other two just constantly heal that character)... none of the other FFs suffer from the problems that FF7 does, and I really think it could be really, really great if those problems were addressed with some manner of remake.

As much as i am one of those FF7 fanboy obsessive fanatics, I really don't know if this is something I would be terribly interested in... Part of my love for the game is the fact that it IS based squarely on nostalgia. Sure, the graphics blow by today's standards. Yes, the combat is kinda ho-hum, the translation wasn't wonderful and its over-re-hyped, but that was my rpg cherry-popper and re-making it would trounce the nostalgia i have for it.

The main reason for being so interested in playing those old games is BECAUSE the graphics weren't very good; you used your imagination to make these worlds more complete. Having the entire world normal-mapped to oblivion destroys that sense of wonder.