Final Fantasy

Brandon Strader

Well, time travel logic can be a bitch.

Basically however it's rather simple:

Evil sorceress wants to destroy the world, travels back in time, she dies, possess another sorceress, they both die, and she then tries to merge all the timeline in one singularity, she fails, travels back in time to possess another sorceress, causing herself to be caught in a time loop.

Squall and the gang were orphans, who trained in gardens as Seeds, without realizing that GFs were sapping their memory, so the sorceress was a complete stranger to them, except Irvine, who couldn't pull the trigger on his mother. The GFs also served as a connection between Squall and Laguna's memories.

I'd be all over a remake. I'm playing through Crisis Core now, which is good, if a bit repetitive with its missions. FFVII was the second RPG I played, not counting Pokemon Blue. It came after Super Mario RPG back in 2000-01. I played it for 2 months on my parents' relatively new computer. It was also the first game soundtrack I ever ordered from Japan, and I still remember the chills I got from hearing "Birth of a God" playing on the CD for the first time.

As far as a remake goes, if they do a project like that (which would be a HUGE investment of time, resources, and talent in general), I would expect a completely remastered score with orchestra and guitars like they did with Crisis Core and Advent Children, every line in the game must be voiced well, even the minor NPCs, and the whole thing needs to be on a heavenly level graphically. In other words, if they can't make it perfect, there's not much reason to make it in the first place.

I don't want to see it. Let the damn franchise die already. There are so many other FF games that deserve the attention that 7 gets. Where's the love for 5? what about 8? 6 gets lots of praise, but there's no spin-off or remake there? The PSOne games don't count.

Youll prob never see a remake of 8..... because it was terrible

if they remake it, they'll have to completely completely overhaul the ATB system, especially since the spectacles seen in Advent Children make it quite plain that these guys dont fight lined up in front of an enemy, running back and forth to smack each other.

honestly the only thing I would be satisfied with is some kinda crazy Star Ocean/Kingdom Hearts-on-meth full-out active battle system, with jumping and spinning and crap blowing up and yeah all that

I've wanted them to do this for a couple years now.

Sure one could nay say the idea but what's the point? Everyone knows it would be awesome.

Hey! Someone send them an email requesting for them to let OCR help with the new soundtrack!

Wouldn't THAT be fuckin' awesome.

As much as i am one of those FF7 fanboy obsessive fanatics, I really don't know if this is something I would be terribly interested in... Part of my love for the game is the fact that it IS based squarely on nostalgia. Sure, the graphics blow by today's standards. Yes, the combat is kinda ho-hum, the translation wasn't wonderful and its over-re-hyped, but that was my rpg cherry-popper and re-making it would trounce the nostalgia i have for it.

The main reason for being so interested in playing those old games is BECAUSE the graphics weren't very good; you used your imagination to make these worlds more complete. Having the entire world normal-mapped to oblivion destroys that sense of wonder.

Well FF7 was the first FF game to really start employing some dramatic battle effects and a 3D engine and graphics that were not just flat landscapes (okay well they were since they were all pre-rendered maps but you know what I mean).

In a way for many it was the beginning of the end for imaginations.

But I agree with you that if you play the game, in some different form, the nostalgia disappears and you start wondering "How did I ever like this?" rather than, "Oh man I remember this game when i was 12 or 15 or 18 or whatever.... these were damn good times."

The discerning gamer's mind is going to focus much more on the differences rather than the similarities.

I think even Square's somewhat embarrassed of FF7 much in the same way many writers refuse to read their own books or movie actors refuse to watch movies they star in.

honestly the only thing I would be satisfied with is some kinda crazy Star Ocean/Kingdom Hearts-on-meth full-out active battle system, with jumping and spinning and crap blowing up and yeah all that

Oh man... A scrawny little dude with an airplane wing for a sword, a giant black man with a gatling gun/rocket launcher arm, a red lightning tiger and a puking ninja with a massive shuriken fighting free-for-all a one-winged angel in the center of the Earth as a meteor bears down?

I support this level of bad-ass. Kill ATB!

I'd buy the remake for the 360 or the PS3 but I wouldn't get a lower-end system like a PSP or DS for it. That wouldn't even be a proper remake. That'd be more like a port. Which they've already done with emulated FF7 and 8 on the PSN.

They could use the FF13 engine, heck, they could even use a variation on its battle system. The hardest thing for them would be learning how to make towns again, and an overworld. Luckily, most towns in FF7 were a single-screen. It wouldn't be that tough really, for a company their size.

But now that you mention it, I would LOVE to see a remake of FF8 too.

I love how this story comes out once a month, just to get topics like this and stuff for gamefaq members to jerk off to in anticipation.

Well Square talks about the possibility of a remake, A LOT. They either like to tease people, it raises hype and possibly sales, or they actually do have intentions to remake it. o.O

I think the question is how would they handle the Don Corneo portion of the game. :)

Hahah.... I hope it's M-rated.

Awww... thread died.

They stick to old franchises because they kind of lost their souls somewhere along the way.

This was from the middle of the thread, but this sums up my thoughts perfectly and made me lol so....

^^^What he said.

Wait Edit: At least they aren't really going for the remakes... they are raping the hell out of the FF names and everything but they are trying to be innovative and well I'm two sided and flip-floppy. I love FF and will stick by it but yeah. I miss turn based random encounter cut scene battles .... omg if they do remake 7 please say they wont "revamp" the battle system XI, XII, XIII style.

I might cry as hard as I did when I heard Keanu Reeves got hell bent to kill my precious cowboy bebop. noooooes.

The only way they could really pull this off is if they bring the Mistwalker guys into it. I also agree with what Monobrow said. :-)

Why's that? I don't know about the entire FFVII team, but the main guys behind it are still with Square, with the exception of Sakaguchi and Uematsu of course, but I don't believe Sakaguchi was a driving force behind the final direction of the game, and Uematsu is freelance so no reason he couldn't work on a remake (unless he doesn't want to).

Sadly the people behind FFVII are also the people who've been running the show for the whole compilation of FFVII and every bad sequel they've released since X. Frankly, I don't trust anyone at Square to be able to remake any game without butchering it.

I typed up two big posts. One got deleted, the other was kinda stupid, so I'll just say this (even though I never played the game in reference):

Square - please innovate like you did in the days of suplexing the phantom train. Playing a remake is not the same as reading a good book a second time.

Ah but you forget one thing! They can't.

They tried it but they can't.

someone in the commments section said it best:

"I think it's a bad sign for a game company when nostalgia sells more than innovation."

Innovation is selling huge trust me on that.

But FF7 was done at the beginning of the PS console and no one knew what they could do yet. They were only beginning to push the limits. Graphically 8 and 9 were lightyears ahead of seven AND THEY WERE ON THE SAME CONSOLE!

By many of us the fact that FF7 hasn't been redone is a sore spot. Simply because it wasn't given its just due in many eyes.

I think not only would the sales be there but square owes it to itself to truly Put this game out on 360 and PS3 or even PC (i'd die if it came out there my 250 GTS would cry) For the history of the series FF7 should not just be classified as an awesome story with sub par graphics. (SUB PAR FOR THE CONSOLE!) I wouldn't even care if there wasn't any voice acting. But graphically this game deserved far better and deserves it now.

For the history of the series FF7 should not just be classified as an awesome story with sub par graphics. (SUB PAR FOR THE CONSOLE!) I wouldn't even care if there wasn't any voice acting. But graphically this game deserved far better and deserves it now.

I don't really understand this reasoning. Is Super Mario Bros. remembered as a subpar game because Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 take more advantage of the NES's graphical capabilities? No, Super Mario Bros. is remembered as a timeless classic. It's the same for me with Final Fantasy 7.

I don't really understand this reasoning. Is Super Mario Bros. remembered as a subpar game because Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 take more advantage of the NES's graphical capabilities? No, Super Mario Bros. is remembered as a timeless classic. It's the same for me with Final Fantasy 7.

Understandable. But i point out to you they remade it a few times and IMO SMB3 was what SM1 wanted to be but they couldn't figure it out yet. Remakes are not a bad thing when done right.

I thought Final Fantasy VII was a cool game. However, a remake isn't necessary unless they do some cool stuffs to the gameplay. Maybe FFXIII style gameplay but with the inclusion of materia. I have not played Final Fantasy XIII, so I can't comment on if that's a good idea or not. Either way, a FFVII remake with gameplay innovations in itself is a kind of cool idea.

Final Fantasy VII is nostalgic... but I don't know if it's exactly a classic in the same way as Super Mario Bros 3.

Basically - there are many elements of FF VII that aged poorly, which means then it's not as timeless as you might think it is. Give someone SMB3 - it's still fun. I don't know about FF VII honestly.... maybe I should try playing it and see how far I get before groaning in disgust.

Honestly, I'd love to see it remade just for the sake of graphics. Make it with FFXIII-level graphics? Hell yeah!

I do think they'd have to overhaul the gameplay slightly, too, though, which I have mixed feelings about. Then again, it's a large piece of nostalgia for me, so that might be why I'm so hesitant to let them touch the gameplay; graphics are one thing - and I wouldn't even want the graphic-storytelling aspect of it to change that much, just the quality of them - and gameplay is a whole other.