Final Fantasy

Brandon Strader

A remake is just a horrible idea. Leave the game as it is (as several people have said) and let it die already. It's already been milked to death with sequels and prequels.

It seems everyone that wants it remade, wants that for the sake of having current-gen graphics, which would just ruin the game completely. I think one of the only thing that could be kept relatively the same would be the battle system - which everyone would bitch about if they kept that the same and just updated graphics. They'd want something to mirror the battles in AC or something like FF13.

What about the world map? Unless they'd make it like the world in Shadow of the Colossus, they can't do a fully explorable world map with no loading except for towns, caves, etc. Unless they make it like an MMORPG map/world. Or the airship/submarine? Every FF [console] game since X has rid itself of a free-flying airship that you control. It's been announced that FF versus 13 is bringing airships back, but I'm not sure how - probably how X and X-2 has it - some stupid-ass list of places that you select and you're teleported there.

You can only change/update so many things before it's nothing like the FF7 you remember. Like I said, most people seem to just want updated graphics (oh and a better translation), but with updated graphics a major portion of the game will have to be overhauled. It wouldn't even be FF7 anymore (not that it was that great of a game to begin with... I'm a FF6 and FF9 fan over any other FF game).

I say if they're exploring anything regarding past titles, go back to the Chrono series, or better yet (although not S-E), how about a LoD2? I'd like to see either of those series revisted before FF7 gets ANOTHER title added.

I'd rather have FFIX(even a port) on the 3DS. Oh yeah.

Well that'll probably happen for the PSP before 3DS. Just to follow suit with FF7 and FF8 being on the PSN already. I'm looking forward to IX coming to the PSN.

Dude, people don't want the rape of the game. It's the battle system and the overworld and airship from FF7 that they love. The battles wouldn't be nearly as difficult or involve any strategy if they were changed to FF13 style, at least for big battles like Ruby Weapon etc.

Heck dude, LucasArts could do a FF7 remake in a fraction of the time it will take Square, and Cloud would sound like Guybrush Threepwood. Updated 3D graphics with voice acting and better cinematics, details, etc.. Honestly it should take a year, probably less, all they've got to do is open what they've already got as far as their primitive 3D models go, and upgrade them to today's standards. Pop in a 60fps framerate at 1080p and boom. Heck, they could re-paint the backgrounds instead of rendering them in 3D and i'd still be happy.

edit: Or they could render new background paintings in 3D.. haha... 3D PAINT!

It seems everyone that wants it remade, wants that for the sake of having current-gen graphics, which would just ruin the game completely.

actually my problems with the graphics stem from the perspective problems when on the overworld and the really blocky textures on the 3D models in battle screens

I mean everyone (Square included) tends to assume that we want a remake in the same style and size as FF13. That's not true at all (since that was a shitty game anyway), we just want a polishing of what is already there.

A remake is just a horrible idea. Leave the game as it is (as several people have said) and let it die already. It's already been milked to death with sequels and prequels. It seems everyone that wants it remade, wants that for the sake of having current-gen graphics, which would just ruin the game completely.

People were saying Final Fantasy was milked to death before 7 ever came out, I recall quite vividly.

As far as current-gen graphics go, this is bad why? I'd like to see some more concrete evidence to support this over far, fast-forwarding to events that are still largely hypothetical. (Although, if you wanted to play the card that there have been several doujin attempts to remaster the FF7 soundtrack and none have been even close to good - that would actually be a half-decent, if still somewhat irrelevant, example).

Dude, people don't want the rape of the game. It's the battle system and the overworld and airship from FF7 that they love. The battles wouldn't be nearly as difficult or involve any strategy if they were changed to FF13 style, at least for big battles like Ruby Weapon etc.

Heck dude, LucasArts could do a FF7 remake in a fraction of the time it will take Square, and Cloud would sound like Guybrush Threepwood. Updated 3D graphics with voice acting and better cinematics, details, etc.. Honestly it should take a year, probably less, all they've got to do is open what they've already got as far as their primitive 3D models go, and upgrade them to today's standards. Pop in a 60fps framerate at 1080p and boom. Heck, they could re-paint the backgrounds instead of rendering them in 3D and i'd still be happy.

edit: Or they could render new background paintings in 3D.. haha... 3D PAINT!

I wasn't saying to change the battle system, the overworld or the airship. I was pointing out that to do that, they would have to make it entirely different - which people would just be up-in-arms about because those aspects of the game have changed. If they changed the battle system to match that of FF13, well then it's not really FF7 anymore is it? Big, BIG battles (Weapons, Sephiroth, Jenova) yeah maybe it would be pretty neat but it's still changing things too much.

Yeah, you may be happy with simple upgrades like that, but do you honestly think Square would stop at that? If it's moved to the PSP - maybe. If it's moved to the PS3 - you're going to get much much more than just polished graphics with the same gameplay.

Also, Bleck, I completely agree that FF13 was a shitty game, but throughout this thread I've read several times comparing a remake to FF13. Also, I believe I read somewhere that FF13 topped FF7 in sales (which was their previous highest selling FF game wasn't it?) - what would stop Square from wanting to make it like FF13 to just boost sales that much more?

EDIT:

People were saying Final Fantasy was milked to death before 7 ever came out, I recall quite vividly.

As far as current-gen graphics go, this is bad why? I'd like to see some more concrete evidence to support this over far, fast-forwarding to events that are still largely hypothetical.

This was meant as more ruining the nostalgia of the game, a big reason why people love it so much. My bad, should have specified that better. I still believe if the graphics were made current-gen, it would ruin a lot of the game - but that's just my opinion.

Trust me, you don't want a remade FF7.

You wont be as emotionally invested, you won't be surprised by anything, and it'll simply suck because it always kinda sucked.

Basically - there are many elements of FF VII that aged poorly, which means then it's not as timeless as you might think it is.

It's pretty annoying how you guys keep saying that we remember FF7 being better than it actually is. I didn't throw my copy away, and it hasn't been ten years since I played it. In fact I'm in the middle of replaying it right now and I'm still enjoying it tremendously.

You're completely entitled to feel that FF7 has aged poorly (although it seems pretty clear you're the ones who haven't played it for ten years), but I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell me my opinion. I'm capable of forming my own.

all they've got to do is open what they've already got as far as their primitive 3D models go, and upgrade them to today's standards. Pop in a 60fps framerate at 1080p and boom. Heck, they could re-paint the backgrounds instead of rendering them in 3D and i'd still be happy.

But you see, the 3D models in FF7 were ugly. They all look like super-deformed models on the overworld maps, and they were simple and blocky in battle. They didn't have noses, mouths, or fingers on the overland maps.

So first of all, you have to change two sets of models (or, you'd have to unify them so that the game would use only one set of models), and likely you'd have to reanimate them if they are modified at all so that they don't clip or do other ridiculous things.

Second, you *know* that 90% of the fans will be bitching and complaining that Square did a shitty remake if they come up with anything less than the model quality that you have in, at minimum, a game like Dirge of Cerberus/Crisis Core. And ideally, you'd see the characters resemble what they looked like FF: Advent Children.

Aeris dies ->

It's nostalgic but it's also a reminder of how much detail was left out of the scene.

But you see, the 3D models in FF7 were ugly. They all look like super-deformed models on the overworld maps, and they were simple and blocky in battle. They didn't have noses, mouths, or fingers on the overland maps.

So first of all, you have to change two sets of models (or, you'd have to unify them so that the game would use only one set of models), and likely you'd have to reanimate them if they are modified at all so that they don't clip or do other ridiculous things.

Second, you *know* that 90% of the fans will be bitching and complaining that Square did a shitty remake if they come up with anything less than the model quality that you have in, at minimum, a game like Dirge of Cerberus/Crisis Core. And ideally, you'd see the characters resemble what they looked like FF: Advent Children.

Aeris dies ->

It's nostalgic but it's also a reminder of how much detail was left out of the scene.

I CRIED WHEN AERIS DIED!

They did look fairly diarrhea-ish. But we didn't notice back then. Or we did and didn't realize it because it was awesome.

Amateur people on youtube can make new models, why can't a huge billion dollar company do the same? I don't understand what you're getting at. Squeenix doesn't work as slow as remixers! *jab* hahah... That was in poor taste. I'm sorry, lazy remixers.

I CRIED WHEN AERIS DIED!

They did look fairly diarrhea-ish. But we didn't notice back then. Or we did and didn't realize it because it was awesome.

Amateur people on youtube can make new models, why can't a huge billion dollar company do the same? I don't understand what you're getting at. Squeenix doesn't work as slow as remixers! *jab* hahah... That was in poor taste. I'm sorry, lazy remixers.

Because amateur people aren't remaking a 100-hour game and getting paid each $70 000 a year to do it, and then releasing it within a reasonable amount of time. Square-Enix would need to ensure that they get a reasonable return on investment since the time and money they're spending remaking Final Fantasy 7 could have been spent on other ventures that are cheaper or more profitable. Even if it is profitable, they need to ensure that they have the people who are willing to work on it and not die from boredom or whatever.

It's also possible there are licensing issues with subcontractors or something.

There's a possible chance that people in Japan don't really care for Final Fantasy VII or something as well which limits its potential sales? I'm not sure.

I kind of remember the bad relationship between Nintendo and Square that resulted into that game being made for Sony's PSX instead.

It took quite a while (nearly 10 years) before the situation settled down (with Crystal Chronicle on Gamecube in 2003).

Nowadays, Squeenix is developping quite a few game for Nintendo, and even though the FFVII licence is the property of Sony,

I'm not sure it would be clever for them to pour oil on the fire once again with the original game.

That being said, FFVII fans demands have been more than answered already.

Advent Children, Advent Children Complete, Dirge of Cerberus, Dirge of Cerberus Lost Episode, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, the anime Last Mission.

And that doesn't include the goodies (keychains, rings, earings, figurines), the soundtracks, the PSP packs, etc.etc.

They've made quite a lot of money out of one episode... well, they had no choice after The Spirits Within fiasco.

But my guess is they intend to do the same with the FFXIII universe as they did with the seventh chapter.

Except this time, they won't have to wait years before realising what their fanbase want.

Probably because FFXIII wasn't directed strictly at previous FF fans, but aimed to a broader audience in order to create a new fanbase.

And so after FFXIII, there'll be Versus XIII, Agito XIII, and so on... Fabula Nova Crystalis, the modern equivalent to the Compilation of FFVII.

Some might see behind the childhood memories and realize now that this isn't just a game anymore. It's a software upgrade which is part of a business plan.

And with that in mind, try to picture Microsoft doing a remake of Windows 98. No matter how much people loved it (or hated it) back then, that's highly improbable. :wink:

I CRIED WHEN AERIS DIED!

Yeah, I actually did too - not gonna lie. I think I started swearing at Sephiroth too, if I recall correctly, lol.

You have a valid point about angering Nintendo, though, DJ, and the licensing issue with Sony. I hadn't thought of it from that angle. I wonder if that's what's partially been behind their hesitance to do this in the past, because I know it's been discussed by them many times.

Because amateur people aren't remaking a 100-hour game and getting paid each $70 000 a year to do it, and then releasing it within a reasonable amount of time. Square-Enix would need to ensure that they get a reasonable return on investment since the time and money they're spending remaking Final Fantasy 7 could have been spent on other ventures that are cheaper or more profitable. Even if it is profitable, they need to ensure that they have the people who are willing to work on it and not die from boredom or whatever.

It's also possible there are licensing issues with subcontractors or something.

There's a possible chance that people in Japan don't really care for Final Fantasy VII or something as well which limits its potential sales? I'm not sure.

Squeenix... cheaper, but rarely more profitable. What are you saiyan. :-P

I think FF7 is actually the FF most deserving of a remake; awful character models, terrible translation, a cool gameplay system that unfortunately very quickly becomes stale and broken (one character gets all the summons the other two just constantly heal that character)... none of the other FFs suffer from the problems that FF7 does, and I really think it could be really, really great if those problems were addressed with some manner of remake.
also I'm gonna chime in and say that the entire point of the plot of FF8 was how stupid it was

I'm going to agree 110% with both of these.