Final Fantasy

Brandon Strader

Ya know, if they really wanted to remake VII, why not just go the route Nintendo is with StarFox 64 and Ocarina of Time? Namely, put it on the 3DS with only slightly improved visuals. Not like they'd have trouble fitting it on the 3DS game card, which does have a capacity ranging from 2GB to 8GB. Hell, with that amount of memory, why not put Before Crisis and Crisis Core on the card too? A FFVII Collection, if you will, in 3D.

Not like they're going to, but still. It's a thought.

My bet is, if they wanted to remake it with 3-d, they'd go all out and just release it on PS3 with new fanceh graphics. After all, what better than an RPG, with all its flashy battle effects, to add a little extra flair to?

That's just a guess, anyway. Wonder how long it'll be 'til we see the first RPG that makes 3-d look good...

True enough. I'm just hedging my bets against SE thinking that the best way to recreate one of their favorite games is an essential re-release. They want to make money off of both an old market (who will have nostalgia drawing them in), and a new market (who've heard of it, but haven't bothered or been willing to play it). Will they hit that market with a game identical to the original? Highly doubt it.

From everything I've seen, VII worked because it hit a market that didn't expect anything like it. Now, when everyone views new FFs as FF VII spin-offs and clones (true or otherwise), it's entering a saturated market. It'll be rough to differentiate itself from other games in the competition when it isn't actually differentiating from anything.

You're all way off. 'FFVII - Future Materia' will obviously be a launch title for the PSP 2. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, Squeenix should consider bringing old gems like 'Treasure Hunter G' or 'Rudra no Hihõ' to western audiences.

Now, let's hope 'The 3rd Birthday' won't just be a 5hrs CG shower scene with quick time events popping in between.

The gameplay already looks like Prototype...

You're all way off. 'FFVII - Future Materia' will obviously be a launch title for the PSP 2. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, Squeenix should consider bringing old gems like 'Treasure Hunter G' or 'Rudra no Hihõ' to western audiences.

Now, let's hope 'The 3rd Birthday' won't just be a 5hrs CG shower scene with quick time events popping in between.

The gameplay already looks like Prototype...

Nah, let's look at the FFVII Titles

Advent Children

Before Crisis

Crisis Core

Dirge of Cerberus...

The next title with have a first word starting with an E and a second word starting with a C.... Exploding Crisis! You get to play as that poor sick man in the restroom of the restraunt at golden wall!

[Obligatory FF8 defense statement]

[Obligatory Xenogears remake is best statement]

I don't know why everybody thinks FF character fashion is such a big deal. It's Final Fantasy, not Final Reality. I honestly never even noticed this "belt phenomenon" until reading this thread.

My biggest problem with FF7/8 is that they made the "main" characters flat-out-better in every way than the others. There's no good gameplay reason for making Cloud and (again especially) Squall so much better than the rest of the cast.

How is Squall better than the other characters? They all have practically the same stats and I'd say that Irvine and Zell's limit breaks are as good or better than Squalls.

Wonder if they could patch up the holes in VIII's system, and make the magic-attachment system work right, because that was a kick-butt concept that never made it there.

How does the FF8 magic attachment system not work right?

the japanrse loooove ff4. i dont get why. maybe because i've never played it. but seriously they teach music from that game at school in japan. that's kind of hardcore.
WHAT?! You must be out of yo' god damn mind! Hahaha. But seriously, what the heck are you talking about? Have you REALLY heard of FF4 music being used in a school or were you just joking?

Now that all of those are out of the way, what I really want to know is why it is so hard to make a town in a new Final Fantasy. There are great-looking towns in Star Ocean 4 and The Elder Scrolls 4. The FF7 towns aren't large so why can't they do it? I personally enjoy the "running through paintings" style. They should just fix up the characters, make it HD, and retranslate it. An orchestral soundtrack would be nice too. But seeing all those reactors and stuff in HD would be neat. We no need no stinkin' 3D. Just HD.

How does the FF8 magic attachment system not work right?

How to make junction work better:

Bring back MP.

Make spell "items" rarer.

Include the number of spell items in the equation for the base damage. For example, a character can only cast Fire if they have 1 "fire" item allocated to them. If you get up to 100% items, your spell are much more powerfull, maybe a linear progression from 25% to 125% of the spells power (hell, make the "spell" items be the magic stat for all I care.)

Limit the usable spells to a selection attached to a GF. Ifrit allows you to junction and cast Fire spells, Shiva Ice, Ramuh Lightning, and so forth. (NO COATL DAMMIT).

Throw in some interactions between GFs: Diablo, Brother and Ifrit (Gravity / Earth / Fire) allow you to cast Meteo spells for example.

Keep the rest of the junction to stat system pretty much as it is.

That way you stop having "do it all" characters and have a chance to select a niche for characters, or have multiple jack of all trades.

There ya go, Squeenix, I only want a million for that system.

Bring back MP.

I thought that was one of the fun things about the system, you didn't need MP. Simple, but I thought it actually worked fine without it.

Make spell "items" rarer.

And make it so you can't restock from the same spell pool every so often. Finding a Flare or Meltdown pool was fun, but also felt cheap when you realized you could go do something, come back and grab more.

Include the number of spell items in the equation for the base damage. For example, a character can only cast Fire if they have 1 "fire" item allocated to them. If you get up to 100% items, your spell are much more powerfull, maybe a linear progression from 25% to 125% of the spells power (hell, make the "spell" items be the magic stat for all I care.)

Interesting idea, but that might be attaching too many threads to the junction system. After all, that means that the more you use a spell, the less powerful it gets (which is understandable, but would make certain enemies/bosses nigh impossible). There needs to be several points of interaction that operate independently of junctioning.

Limit the usable spells to a selection attached to a GF. Ifrit allows you to junction and cast Fire spells, Shiva Ice, Ramuh Lightning, and so forth. (NO COATL DAMMIT).

Throw in some interactions between GFs: Diablo, Brother and Ifrit (Gravity / Earth / Fire) allow you to cast Meteo spells for example.

Hadn't thought of this. Maybe they could shift the system to attach the spells to the GFs themselves, which wouldn't make for a major difference, and could be the key to the 'jack-of-all-trades' problem.

If they can revamp VII to have a more clever system (I'm talking waaay better than the original materia system, which I always found rather dull), it would go a long way in making it more interesting, at least in my opinion. Still need to get around to playing it, though.